Don't be so hard on yourself (1 Viewer)

elfm

HSC
I'm a 2004 HSC student and I too, didn't get an all out flattering UAI rank. Sure it wasn't bad (80s), but it was nothing compared to what my parents and friends achieved, or expected from me. Sure, I got a few lectures from my parents afterwards. Sure, I got a few moments where I wanted to stab someone in the eye for smirking at my mark after themselves having achieved in the mid 90s, but who cares in the end!

There are PLENTY of pathways to get into uni. Your student advisor probably has told you this already, but I'll just say it again. Getting into uni by getting a good UAI isn't the only thing you can do - there are a myriad of options out there that you can have a look at.

Even if you got in the 60s, there are still many decent courses you could do at UWS or other less established unis. Don't instantly discount these unis. All USyd and UNSW has going for them is reputation and prestige... but in the end of the day, UWS is still a very good option to think about. I go to UNSW myself, and I can tell you that it's not all that 'great'. The quality of lecturers in UNSW can vary so much that it's not funny - but they do have their good lecturers. Same goes with UWS.

At the end of the day, employers wont care which uni you go to - as long as you get decent marks where ever you go. No employer is going to be stupid enough to take a Pass student from UNSW, over Credit student from UWS, (assuming equal interview skills, etc).

Plus going to UWS would probably save you HEAPS of travel time if you live close to the Western Sydney area. Believe me, this is a very good up-side to UWS. After about half a year travelling from the Fairfield/Liverpool region to the city, then 20min bus ride to uni - you get sick of it (not to mention the time wasted).

Please don't feel down about this. In half a years to a years time, what you got for your UAI will play an extremely minor role in your life.

Take it easy, peace out :)

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Wow. Another 'there's-life-after-the-HSC-don't-worry-about-your-crappy-result' speech.

I feel so enlightened.

7th Sign

HSC
depends in certian high level business jobs employers do care about what uni's people go to apparently...

HSC
N/A
7th sign - that isnt necessarily true.

remember, bill gates didnt go to uni

steve jobs didnt go to uni

businesses care about your ability, not your degree. It's just that degrees sometimes reflect ability.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I was half cheering then my mum saw me and asked what i got and she sort of punched the air. I was pretty happy and my parents were to. They were only concerned with the bands though for some weird reason.

Vylen

HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
7th sign - that isnt necessarily true.

remember, bill gates didnt go to uni

steve jobs didnt go to uni

businesses care about your ability, not your degree. It's just that degrees sometimes reflect ability.
yea, but bill gates stole some code and named it his own :p lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)