Don't you hate.. (1 Viewer)

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
I was reading through my last years trail 4unit paper for school, and there is nothing worse than those funky lil fukers they put in that test your "ability to apply any type of maths if required" and have no relevance to any topic(or a very minor one) and then carry blody 3-4 marks for one part lol

HSC
N/A
It's Component B (unfamiliar questions). These are supposed to be in Ext 2 (and Ext 1 and 2 unit) - as well as Component A (familiar ones).

So if you don't like Component B, do General Maths instead.

vafa

HSC
N/A
I am not going to say anything against Buchanan but my personal perspective is that a good mathematics teacher is the one who encourages his/her students to study further...!

My own mathematics teacher always has encouraged me and in some situations where i was really hopeless, he tried to inspire me and i call him an excellent mathematics teacher. He even is not aware of third drivative method...!

but he never puts down a student...!

I as a student tutor other people in mathematics in different levels and when i explain a thing to them, they do not understand but i repeat explaining it for several times and then i remember when i was mastering these stuffs, i was no better than them but the thing is i am not allowed to put them down because they have a character and if i put them down, i actually destroy their passions to learn mathematics.

I came from IRAN which is called the land of mathematics. Most of the mathematicians came from IRAN.

There are always better people than me...!

I know some mathematics teachers such as Bill Pender, Graham Arnold and etc who really know a lot of maths but they encourage their students to study more instead trying to insult them...!

at the end i would like to say that i am very sorry if i have offended anyone in anyway!

HSC
N/A
Sorry if the abruptness of my previous post seems insulting, but the thing Shady01 was complaining about is Component B. The only HSC maths course without Component B is General Maths. So I say again (and without trying to insult anyone) if you don't like Component B, do General Maths instead.

Here's the Board of Studies document on Component A and B:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths_assess_curr_info.pdf

Last edited:

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
vafa said:
I know some mathematics teachers such as Bill Pender, Graham Arnold and etc who really know a lot of maths but they encourage their students to study more instead trying to insult them...!
yeah, great maths teachers are really patient.

hehe, mrs arnold teaches us, she's pretty encouraging and always explains the thing a million times if we dont understand it :)

HSC
N/A
Good teachers put Component B questions in 2 Unit/Ext. 1 and Ext. 2 exams. Bad teachers don't.

vafa

HSC
N/A
buchanan, i undestand what you are trying to say and i appreciate that

i am the one who is always in love with maths and i prefer to have superhard problems in the exam instead having questions like finding angle between two lines...

and i guess that we should get used to solve more complex problems because we can have a higher level of maths.

i do not know how good Australia is in mathematics but when you compare Even Mathematics extension 2 to mathematics which people study in Iran, China and euorope, you will notice that Australia is so behind in mathematrics

I am on buchana's side( we should have component B).

Last edited:

bboyelement

HSC
but the thing is those ppl in those countries are used to it like they are used to using there own knowledge to do maths since like start of high school or middle school but for us we are only known to component b like say the start of year 11 to say the least. like i looked in the year 11 maths book from vietnam and some of the questions were mindblowing and thats the normal standard book ... not like say in australia where we get choices to do different levels of maths - 2 unit, 3 unit etc... thats why ppl that do tutoring and go ahead are those that succeed in 4 unit

vafa

HSC
N/A
i agree with a part of your ideas.

but we need to believe ourselves and trust me you do not need a tutor for maths to bee good in it necccessarily. We can start from today and in 10 years time we may be in China's level.

Who knows...?

YBK

HSC
bboyelement said:
but the thing is those ppl in those countries are used to it like they are used to using there own knowledge to do maths since like start of high school or middle school but for us we are only known to component b like say the start of year 11 to say the least. like i looked in the year 11 maths book from vietnam and some of the questions were mindblowing and thats the normal standard book ... not like say in australia where we get choices to do different levels of maths - 2 unit, 3 unit etc... thats why ppl that do tutoring and go ahead are those that succeed in 4 unit

People who do tutoring are not necessarily the ones who succeed in 4unit. If you are capable, you don't need tutoring. Although obviously having someone help you out at home will help.

and I agree that tests should have more difficult questions. It distinguishes between the students who understand and apply logic and those who just memorise crap.

bboyelement

HSC
YBK said:
People who do tutoring are not necessarily the ones who succeed in 4unit. If you are capable, you don't need tutoring. Although obviously having someone help you out at home will help.

and I agree that tests should have more difficult questions. It distinguishes between the students who understand and apply logic and those who just memorise crap.
yeh i meant like help with going a head with work ...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
YBK said:
yeah, great maths teachers are really patient.

hehe, mrs arnold teaches us, she's pretty encouraging and always explains the thing a million times if we dont understand it :)
I take it you go to Patty Boys? ;)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
YBK said:
Yeah... did you go there before :D?
I did indeed. :p

Is Rossy your year co-ordinator or Salkeld? Someone else?

YBK

HSC
redruM said:
I did indeed. :p

Is Rossy your year co-ordinator or Salkeld? Someone else?
Salkeld's our co-ordinator :D

Ross is yr 11 coordinator now i think...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
YBK said:
Salkeld's our co-ordinator :D

Ross is yr 11 coordinator now i think...
hahahah

Talk about a coincidence...I havent seen any of them for ages (except Bro Martin and Pendergast).

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
haha I think there should be harder questions to, but harder questions in relation to the topics we studied, not random crap. I know we are expected to know about random mathematics and it all relates to our "advanced" knowlegde, but i'd rather be examined haevily on maths relating, not random :)

HSC
N/A
In other words, you only want familiar questions, not unfamiliar ones, i.e., you only want Component A questions, not Component B ones. Component B is in 2 unit/Ext 1 and Ext 2, not General Maths. So you should do General Maths instead.

Component B isn't just about being harder. It's more about whether you can do unfamiliar questions.

Last edited:

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Well, I guess Lucky for me, I find any question unfamiliar, there are so many ways they can tweak it its not funny.

If someone can give me a good example of one of these "random" questions, it may aid to enlighten me. Because afterall if its in the curriculum then it can't be that unfamiliar as you are supposed to familirise yourself with it.

That or I totally dont know whats going on.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
This is a quote from an old thread. It's a 'random' question which I thought was pretty neat. Give it a go:

adzy said:
Found this in my brother's stack of old trial papers. I found this test a higher standard than anything else I've ever done (consistent high standard throughout)

Just a note, the examiners are Graham Arnold and Denise Arnold. Heh.

Q8
n letters L1, L2, L3, ..., Ln are to be placed at random into n addressed envelopes E1, E2, E3,...,En, each bearing a different address, where Ei bears the correct address for letter Li, i= 1,2,3,...n

Let Un be the number of arrangements where no letter is placed in the correct envelope, for n a positive integer, n>= 2

i) Show U2 = 1 and U3= 2
ii) Deduce that U_k+1 = k(U_k + U_(k-1)), k=4,5,6...
iii) Use results from i) and ii) to calculate U_4 and U_5
iv) Show by mathematical induction that

U_n = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ], n=2,3,4...

v) If there are 5 letters and envelopes:
a) Explain why probability no letter is placed in the correct envelope is U_5/120 and calculate this probability as a fraction
b) Show probability that exactly one letter is placed in the correct envelope is 5U_4 / 120 and calculate this probaiblity as a fraction
c) Find the probability exactly 2 letters are placed in the correct envelopes

vi) Deduce that summation k = 2 to n of [N choose K] * U_k = n!-1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)