dot point - help! (1 Viewer)

Saintly Devil

I'm stuck on this dot point in I2I - superconductors. Help would be appreciated.

"Describe the occurence in superconductors below their critical temperature of a population of electron pairs unaffected by electrical resistance"

What's there to describe?

^___^
HSC
electrical resistance would be virtually zero the metal is turned into super-conductor as the atoms inside would not vibrate, therefore, it does not create any resistance as the electrons move along them....
think of it as atoms vibrate...they create resistance...the less they vibrate, the less the resistance...and to create minimal resistance, have low temp.

Correct me if i'm wrong

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
Superconductors & Critical Temperatures

As the temperature of the conductor increase the vibration of the ions also decreases. Hence the electrical resistance of a metallic conductor should decrease to a low but non-zero value as the temperature deceases toward absolute zero. However below certain temperatures some material resistances disappear completely at sufficiently low temperatures.
The temperature at which a superconductor material loses all its electrical resistance is called its critical temperature, Tc .
Superconductivity is the phenomenon exhibited by certain conductors where they have no resistance to current.

The BSC Theory of Superconductivity Bardeen, Cooper, Schrieffer

BCS Theory suggests that superconductors have zero electrical resistance below their critical temperatures because at such temperatures the electrons pass unimpeded through the crystal lattice and therefore lose no energy. The theory states that the supercurrent in a superconductor is carried by many millions of bound electron pairs, called Cooper pairs.

These pairs form when one electron passing between adjacent positive ions in the lattice attracts the ions, causing them to move slightly inwards and to create a region of increased positive charge density. Due to the elastic properties of the lattice, this region of increased positive charge density propagates through the lattice as a wave. A second electron passing through the lattice is attracted into this moving region of increased positive charge density and is effectively swept along by the lattice wave created by the first electron. Thus, by pairing off two by two, the electrons pass more smoothly through the lattice.

Cooper pairs continually form, break and re-form. Since random lattice vibrations break up Cooper pairs, the temperature needs to be low enough to keep such vibrations to a minimum.

*edited underline*
Below is an illustration of cooper pairs:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by ...

Correct me if i'm wrong
You're wrong unfortunately, this dot-point is asking for an outline of the BCS theory of superconductivity. The mention of "electron pairs" is the key :).

EDIT: littlemic beat me to it :)

Saintly Devil

but the next dot point in the syllabus says:

"Discuss the BCS theory".

which is why i was confused as to what the previous dot point meant. Anyone have an explanation?

Giant Lobster

HSC
ummm just a thought, perhaps the second point u mentioned is asking for the actual theory of bsc, like, talking about phonons and electrostatic 'warping' of the lattice to bind electron pairs so they move without resistance.

jims

HSC
verbs are crap.
if u were to reallly discuss a theory u would have to talk about how good of a theory it is as well as talking about what it says.
so mayb say something about how its the most proven theory around ie its predictions and ideas are supported by experiments. but that it only explains type 1 superconductors and not type 2. its ideas are based on scientifically sound principles. eg the cooper pairs would form because it puts the material in a lower energy state (straight from the book) etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)