• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dot point summaries: (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I have a question. When making dot point summaries for science subjects, how do u know what's relevant and what isn't? Like, okay, I've never actually made summaries notes for myself but I like..use HSC ONLINE or the dot point summaries from the textbook DOT POINTS because I'm just trust the they have everything that's relevant and hence don't trust myself in making my own dot points.

So basically yeah, how do you guys know what to include and wat not to inlcude in dot point for summaries so that ur not wasting time memorising irrelevant stuff?=]

justmeme

HSC
N/A
i do my own notes, put in what ever i think i relevant. If i need somewhere to start, ill check hsc online.

then i sit down with my teachers (they hsc mark) and get them to look over them and check, cross out, or add more notes.

nottellingu

HSC
You gotta learn a lot more than just the specific dot point to answer q's in the hsc in detail and obtain full marks. With science subjects like physics and chemisty its around 40% calculations so you are going to have to practice this. The dot points are a good guide or checklist for you to make sure u hav included all the vital information in ur notes.

justmeme

HSC
N/A
oh and refer to syllabus.. its your best friend!!

refering to above post,
when doing science summaries for the formulae, i write down the different ways to do the problem, but go to another book and do practice questions.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey guys,
I have a question. When making dot point summaries for science subjects, how do u know what's relevant and what isn't? Like, okay, I've never actually made summaries notes for myself but I like..use HSC ONLINE or the dot point summaries from the textbook DOT POINTS because I'm just trust the they have everything that's relevant and hence don't trust myself in making my own dot points.

So basically yeah, how do you guys know what to include and wat not to inlcude in dot point for summaries so that ur not wasting time memorising irrelevant stuff?=]

its hard to know what exactly you need to know for a certain dot point. so my philosophy was that it was better to cover more than less.

Another thing to note is DO NOT trust HSC online, or the "Dot Point" books published by Science Press, or anything for that matter. As your should learn from the skills topic, you should refer to a large variety of reliable sources.

notaaron

HSC
me121 said:
its hard to know what exactly you need to know for a certain dot point. so my philosophy was that it was better to cover more than less.

agreed 100%

HSC
N/A
HSC online doesn't generally cover half the stuff you need to know. We've always been told to make our notes using more than one textbook so our notes and understanding are more in-depth.

I just use the syllabus as my guide and do my notes under these individual dot points. They tend to be longish, but they haven't let me down yet.

Muz4PM

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
HSC online doesn't generally cover half the stuff you need to know. We've always been told to make our notes using more than one textbook so our notes and understanding are more in-depth.

I just use the syllabus as my guide and do my notes under these individual dot points. They tend to be longish, but they haven't let me down yet.
+1

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
nearly every science dot point wouldve been asked in the last 6-7 yrs so (usually long response); so grab a copy of hsc success one and go through relevant Qs. help if you don;t know whatto include in an answer or dotpoint. otherwise check out hsc online.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:

agreed 100%. not only does this work for science, but for almost any other subject, minus stuff like maths where its more about application

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, in bio they've given us like a blank booklet just with all the different dot points and stuff, and we fill them in ourselves and the teachers check them.
So its a pretty handy little study book.

But I agree, I get my notes from as many different -reliable- sources as I have, which seems to be the best way to go?
So far I'm just writing everything with all the info I find, and then I'll condense it into palm cards or something =)

michael1990

HSC
My opinion is you need to understand what points are important for your summaries.

What i do is i get the syllabus have a read and i then i start my summaries. I put what i believe is the most important, then i get another summary whether it be from a friend or from a website and see what they thought was important. I then read mine again and change what i need to. I then get my teacher to look over it and change what she/he thinks needs to be changed.

hallelujah.

HSC
Make ur notes according to the syllabus dot points. They cant test u on it if it isnt in the syllabus.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
me121 said:
yeah but they still do.
exactly, or they will use a tiny dot point, which you have 2 lines, and make you do an essay on.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
theshortykatt said:
have questions to support this?
HSC Phys Exam 2005 Q13 said:
A doped silicon semiconductor has the following energy-level diagram.
What element was most likely used to dope the silicon?

- Conduction band

- Dopant level
- Valence band

(A) Boron
(B) Germanium
(C) Phosphorus
(D) Sulfur
whats a Dopant level? (rhetorical quesiton)

2004 HSC Phys Q19, a)
you need to know which way the Earth rotates (not in the syllabus)

2004 HSC phys Q22 said:
The photograph below shows parts of an AC electric motor.
Describe the main features of this type of motor and its operation.
we don't need to know about the type of ac motor shown in the diagram.

2007 Indus Tech Graphics said:
Outline differences between isometric and oblique projections.
The syllabus makes no reference to oblique projections.

there are many more, but i have no time to find them....

HSC
i just make my notes based on exactly whats in the syllabus, i figure if its not in there they cant ask it..... and i condense it much more than what we get in class, i really dont get why they give us so much crap sometimes lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)