Dot points in Ancient Essays?? (1 Viewer)

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
Can you use dot points in an ancient essay, not like to write the whole essay with, but just say for a small pat to outline particular features or something. or is it preffered just to lump it in a paragraph?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
although i am not a teacher, i would say to place dot points in a paragraph. If you do minoan society and are answer a question instead of saying that there were many minoan social groups such as:
*slaves ( possibly)
* labourers
*artisans
*farmers

it looks neater if you say the social groups were slaves, labourers, artisans and farmers.

If you actually look at the marking rubrics for ancient questions it says to be in the top band you need to " Present a sustained, logical and well-structured response". If it is essay question that does not incorporate dot points ( unless you do business studies :p)

i am not an anicient history specilaist so check with your teacher/other people on this forum that may actually be sure of what they are talking about
:)

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re dot points in essay responses

(a) Follow the instructions given per question.

(b) Look at the criteria shown for each question

(c) All questions requiring extended responses MUST be written in essay format.
That means you must observe the conventions involved in essay technique.

Dot points (hate that expression!! :mad: ) are useful only for notemaking and summarising. Use dot points in an essay at your peril!! Didn't your teacher instruct you about this?

Magister.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
dot point is for structured qn, essay is for essay qn i think
teacher keeps on drilling this to us

X

xeuyrawp

Langrepa said:
Can you use dot points in an ancient essay, not like to write the whole essay with, but just say for a small pat to outline particular features or something. or is it preffered just to lump it in a paragraph?
As much as I think they are cool, and uni lecturers agree with me, don't do it in an ancient essay unless you're running out of time.

A big part of histories in general is writing skills and concisely presenting detailed info- hence, dot points aren't regarded by the oldies as good.

X

xeuyrawp

miss_gtr said:
no no no no no no. my teacher marks for the hsc and she says A BIG NO NO NO NO to dot points, ive been marked down for it, cuz its not a stylistic and structured essay with dot points. so dont do it kids.
Yes, but if you've messed up your timing, it's better to lose marks for structure rather than having no evidence or info. But yes, generally, it's a big nono.

X

xeuyrawp

miss_gtr said:
yeah if u have tendencies to dot point..like me.!. do dot points on a scrap piece of paper, then take each dot point and expand on it in ur essay. onli dot point if u run of time,
Yeh, having a tendency to dot point is good. It means you're to the point (pardon the pun) and know what you're talking about. Waffle is for suckers.

miss_gtr said:
like rob said!
I resent you using my name on the net! My cover is blown!

[jk]edit: Oh wait, my email address. ehhehehe

*puff of smoke, and Rob's gone".[/jk]

Illidan

HSC
never ever use dot points in ANY essay unless you are seriously running out of time.

suger_plum

Banned
In Heads Racing Car Bed!!! You Know You Want Me!!!
HSC
ive been to two schools, and one teacher told me one thing, and the other told me another. dont you hate that.

however, i do have to side with not touching dot points. an essayy is meant to be structured. i write a plan with dot points, but always separatly. although if you are running out of time, a few points at the bottom of the exam paper, has been known to give a few extra marks.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, i would say never dot point in a question that pertains to an essay.

Even if your running out of time do not dot point. Doing so only shows the marker that you have indeed failed to complete your essay. If say 3 mins from finishing time, you feel you wont finish, simply write your conculsion and cut out the rest. It looks much better than rushed dot points at the end with no conculsion.

This same advice is applicable to any subject

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In extreme case when u have no time left and still have a qn to answer, quickly write down so they know that u do know stuff as its better than nothing, but please dont! Essays/structured qns are that - STRUCTURED which = NO DOT POINBTS!!!!

classics_chic

HSC
Only if desperate.

If you have five minutes left and half an essay to write, then do it. You need to get your points across. Otherwise, as Magister said, at your peril. It's not a good look.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)