dotpoint help!! (1 Viewer)

d3adgurL

um Hi! can neone plz help me with this dotpoint...

- Gather, process and present secondary information to discuss how shortcomings in available technology lead to an increased knowledge of the properties of materials with particular reference to the invention of the transistor.

Can neone help me with it?? I really dont get it and my mid-course is on in a few days!:(

kini mini

HSC
Hi d3adgurl, welcome to the forums :)

Most of the information you need to answer this dot-point is in fact in your textbook, but it's hard to work out what is being asked so that you can apply your knowledge.

Let's begin by breaking the requirements of the question into three parts.

1) What was the technology that preceded the transistor, and what were its shortcomings?

2) Which materials were tested as possible replacements for valves and why?

3) Compare the advantages and disadvantages of valves and transistors, and perhaps a sentence about the invention of the transistor.

1)

(copied from my notes, which were made from CSU and elsewhere)

 In electrical appliances there is often a need to control the direction of current flow, convert AC to DC, switch current flow on or off or amplify a current
 Before the invention of the transistor, these tasks were performed with thermionic devices (valves)
 Thermionic devices use heated filaments and terminals in glass vacuum tubes, heating the filament to liberate electrons which are then accelerated to the anode by a high potential difference
 Shortcomings thermionic devices were inefficient, expensive and unreliable
 Inefficient valves developed a large amount of heat, requiring surrounding equipment to be thermally insulated

Expensive - very large, needed lots of meterials

Unreliable - valaves are very fragile, if the vacuum is lost then they break. As they are made out of glass....

2) Germanium - I no longer remember the details, except that it was easily extracted from its ore and did not have to be very pure to be a semiconductor, unlike silicon. I do remember that Jacaranda has the details :).

3) I can't remember much about the invention of the transistor, but as for its advantages it does eveything thermionic devices do only better :D. So mention all the faults of valves, and then say that transistors are the opposite

HTH

Mathematician

Is this for Motors and Generators or Ideas to Implementations?

I dont remember that in motors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)