Double degree at ANU or Double majors at Usyd (1 Viewer)

sickpuppy

HSC
Hey, I am a international student. Currently, I am facing the crossroads to choose what I am going to learn and universities for undergraduate.

This question make me struggle for a long time. I am going to apply for the unis for semester two. My atar is embrassing because I got few marks below the minium cut-off of commerce at Usyd and U-melbourne. I have two options here, I can choose to do Economics which majors in Economic and Accounting at Usyd or to do Commerce degree and Finance degree at ANU for double degrees.

Another question is that which uni for commerce is better? Is any difference between accounting under economics degree and commerce degree? Is Canbrra really hard to get opptunity and job after graduates.

I was studying at Canberra for my high school there, and I am partial to go Sydney because I would like to have more challenges from the unfamiliar enviroment. And I reckon that Sydney can bring me more opptunities to meet more people and socilize. But Canberra has their own benefits as well, such as it is a quite and good place for studying.

Please help me to advise me from these two universities in terms of the career prospect, universities' quality in commerce, teachers to students ratio, internship opptunities.

Thanks a lot!

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
USYD would be have a better reputation
ANU is ranked higher than any other aussie uni. Canberra isn't great for commerce because of the jobs... U syd, U melb and UNSW are way better for commerce options.

sickpuppy

HSC
Thanks for the reply. But do jobs affect the student studying in uni? If I study in Canberra, can't I just go Sydney for the job? Or usyd has got some cooperative organization which can help students to get internship or provide them jobs?

And I am taking accounting under economic degree, is that any difference to the one under commerce degree?

Hatake88

HSC
Just some quick thoughts (got lecture soon):

- If you got into economics, you would have gotten 90+ I assume. That means transferring over to commerce at the end of the year will be easy peasy (just get a credit average).

- Yes the Usyd business school does hold regular career nights. They also help people who get a credit + average find jobs.

- I personally found the Usyd business school very dry. The lecturers are good at what they teach but it was very conventional/like high school: do tutorial questions, do past paper, sit two hour exam...rinse and repeat. The economics was lots of theory and maths too. Little "real life application" although it was very interesting.

- Side note: lots of asians and the business/stats buildings (mereweather/bosch) are some of the ugliest buildings on campus :p

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Thanks, do you know why the environment affecting the commerce so much?
Because it's in the largest financial and centre in the southern hemisphere? U Syd and UNSW has a lot more linkages to industries purely due to its geography. Same as why ANU has better linkages to public service.UNSW commerce is best. Don't doubt the new south.

All commerce courses have lots of Asians. Because most of their parents are azn bidnusman.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)