Double degree - what to pair law with (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
Hellloooo, I'll just get straight to the point.

I've always been interested in law and based on my ATAR I'm thinking about UTS, Macquarie and UNSW.
What I am unsure about is what I should pair law with to make it a double degree.

I was a humanities concentrated kid who really enjoyed business and economics in year twelve and did fairly well with them, achieving band six. However in year ten I also did IST and found that quite enjoyable - so computer related stuff may be for me as well.

Based on my personal interests I think doing Media (PR and Advertising) can be fun but many have told me to consider otherwise as it's narrow and specific and I should instead, do a business/commerce degree for a broader range of options once I graduate. Any thoughts on this way of thinking?

These are the degrees I'm thinking:
  • B. of Business Administration / Bachelor of Laws at MQ
  • B. of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws at MQ, UTS, UNSW
  • B. of Business Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of International Studies / Bachelor of Laws at MQ, UTS, UNSW
  • B. of Arts in Communication (Information and Media) /Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of Arts in Communication (Public Communication) / Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of Media (PR & Advertising) / Bachelor of Laws at UNSW
  • B. of Arts and Business / Bachelor of Laws at UNSW

For recommended and assumed knowledge for particular courses, please see my signature.

In short, I'm kinda confused like a lot of soon to submit UAC application individuals out there and would appreciate any suggestion or feedback at all in regards to this topic/question.

Much appreciated!

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Hellloooo, I'll just get straight to the point.

I've always been interested in law and based on my ATAR I'm thinking about UTS, Macquarie and UNSW.
What I am unsure about is what I should pair law with to make it a double degree.

I was a humanities concentrated kid who really enjoyed business and economics in year twelve and did fairly well with them, achieving band six. However in year ten I also did IST and found that quite enjoyable - so computer related stuff may be for me as well.

Based on my personal interests I think doing Media (PR and Advertising) can be fun but many have told me to consider otherwise as it's narrow and specific and I should instead, do a business/commerce degree for a broader range of options once I graduate. Any thoughts on this way of thinking?

These are the degrees I'm thinking:
  • B. of Business Administration / Bachelor of Laws at MQ
  • B. of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws at MQ, UTS, UNSW
  • B. of Business Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of International Studies / Bachelor of Laws at MQ, UTS, UNSW
  • B. of Arts in Communication (Information and Media) /Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of Arts in Communication (Public Communication) / Bachelor of Laws at UTS
  • B. of Media (PR & Advertising) / Bachelor of Laws at UNSW
  • B. of Arts and Business / Bachelor of Laws at UNSW

For recommended and assumed knowledge for particular courses, please see my signature.

In short, I'm kinda confused like a lot of soon to submit UAC application individuals out there and would appreciate any suggestion or feedback at all in regards to this topic/question.

Much appreciated!
Someone please correct me if I've made an incorrect assertion, but isn't a communications degree geared more towards English inclined students, rather than HSC Economics/Business/Legal focused students?

Considering this, I think the choice is clear between International Studies, Business/Commerce and Business Admin.

Business Admin can be studied as a major within Business/Commerce, so I think you should immediately forget about that.

International Studies allows you to learn a language and study overseas, something which is incredibly appealing to a certain group of people. Do you see yourself working overseas, living in a country that speaks a different language? Or being a correspondent for a business communicating with a non predominately English-speaking company? My mum studied international studies (or something incredibly similar), focusing on Asian and Japanese studies. She says that all her uni friends have ended up at either Japanese firms in the business stratosphere, or working as a Japanese correspondent within an Australian firm. Pairing this with law, I can only assume you'd be well qualified to work with international law, focusing on a particular country or region.

Much has been written previously in these forums regarding Commerce/Law (Business/Commerce whatever same shit), you've got access to a wide variety of jobs. I suggest you seek out one of these, some of those users actually know what they are talking about. Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm in the same position as you are. Good luck deciding :)

Constantine

HSC
Someone please correct me if I've made an incorrect assertion, but isn't a communications degree geared more towards English inclined students, rather than HSC Economics/Business/Legal focused students?

Considering this, I think the choice is clear between International Studies, Business/Commerce and Business Admin.

Business Admin can be studied as a major within Business/Commerce, so I think you should immediately forget about that.

International Studies allows you to learn a language and study overseas, something which is incredibly appealing to a certain group of people. Do you see yourself working overseas, living in a country that speaks a different language? Or being a correspondent for a business communicating with a non predominately English-speaking company? My mum studied international studies (or something incredibly similar), focusing on Asian and Japanese studies. She says that all her uni friends have ended up at either Japanese firms in the business stratosphere, or working as a Japanese correspondent within an Australian firm. Pairing this with law, I can only assume you'd be well qualified to work with international law, focusing on a particular country or region.

Much has been written previously in these forums regarding Commerce/Law (Business/Commerce whatever same shit), you've got access to a wide variety of jobs. I suggest you seek out one of these, some of those users actually know what they are talking about. Take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm in the same position as you are. Good luck deciding :)
I was having second thoughts about bus.admin as well and thought that as an undergraduate course it might not be the best idea.

With International Studies though, I've actually been told that it's hard to find jobs (esp in the business sector) because you merely learn a language and about a country's culture so I'm kind of confused. Even after reading the course structure and all the information online, I'm still quite unsure as to its usefulness as compared to bus/com. However I would love to do travelling or work in the foreign dept for a firm - it's something I can see myself doing and enjoying in the future so i guess int.studies might just be the one for me?

Thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)