Double Degree Woes... (1 Viewer)

pogiangel

HSC
I enrolled into my double degree today. Lol, I've been to the uni before but I just didnt have a clue about where I was going today, lucky there were funky people in purple tshirts around.

I've been lookin at my subjects etc for the past week or so, and it only hit me today that I wont have many units left for electives etc... I guess I'll get over it.

One question tho, is doing an extra unit ie. 5 subjects in the one session a bad idea? I have no idea of what type of workload etc to expect from uni so I didn't wanna enrol just in case I couldnt handle it or something.

Hope everyone's ID photos turn out better than mine.

Cheers, Jerome

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
When enrolling in subjects on SOLS, they will only let you put in 32 credit points (this is 5 first year subjects).

You have to ask permission to overload and I think they try and discourage you from it.

But yes, 5 subjects is fine, in fact its what most first year double degree-ers are doing.

(BTW my photo on my card it simply atrocious, I seriously look evil, and Im stuck with it for 6 years :( )

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Yeah, according to the course handbok for my degree I should be doing 5, but the academic advisor I had today maintained that I only needed 4. I double checked it when I got home, and no matter how I look at it, I need to do 5; I emailed the faculty asking for confirmation, I guess I'll soon find out.

Oh, and does anyone know when our SOLS accounts actually become active? Mine still isn't.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
hfis said:
Yeah, according to the course handbok for my degree I should be doing 5, but the academic advisor I had today maintained that I only needed 4. I double checked it when I got home, and no matter how I look at it, I need to do 5; I emailed the faculty asking for confirmation, I guess I'll soon find out.

Oh, and does anyone know when our SOLS accounts actually become active? Mine still isn't.
You don't need to do a set amount of subjects.

Five may be recommended, but if you can't handle it (and there's lots who can't), then don't fret. Take four subjects and stay at uni an bit longer. Better to come out on top than barely struggling.

Also, my ID card has the best photo.

suz

HSC
i did 5 sub's both semester's last year n found it a bit much!!! but that is just me
this time round i'm doin four
like tim said 5 sub's isn't 4 everyone, try it out n c, u learn from experience lol as in my case

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
How long did enrolment take? That is, how long were you at the uni for?

Ninga

HSC
Do 5 subjects, don't be a panlicker. Only girls who can't hack doing a double degree in the alloted time do 4 subjects. Or start doing uni part time. Or change to arts and drop out. Nah, just kidding, do however many you feel comfortable with. Comp Sci is supposedly a fairly hardcore degree, with a fair drop out rate, so yeah, combined with Creative Arts...yeah, so good luck!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
pam17 said:
depends on what you do, with ECTE there are no lines since you get no choice.

but if you do arts/commerce, be prepared to wait :p

i hear compsci is only high drop out first year (like 40ish %), but i think this year they will just pass alot of fist years just so that they will stay in uni rather than quit, lol.
evil evil uni.

Maianbarian

I enrolled in my double today and they told me to just do four subjects... Hmmm ahh well I'm sure it'll all work out, if it's too bludgy this semester I'll take another one up for next time.

I'm doing Commerce/Science BTW

pogiangel

HSC
Yeah, I think I'll just pick up another subject in the next sem after seeing how I do with 4.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Enrolment didnt take too long for me ... About an hour or so. I didnt know double degrees were so popular. lol.

Cheers, Jerome

santaslayer

HSC
You need to show you can handle an overloaded session. That will be assessed via previous marks.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Ninga said:
Do 5 subjects, don't be a panlicker. Only girls who can't hack doing a double degree in the alloted time do 4 subjects. Or start doing uni part time. Or change to arts and drop out. Nah, just kidding, do however many you feel comfortable with. Comp Sci is supposedly a fairly hardcore degree, with a fair drop out rate, so yeah, combined with Creative Arts...yeah, so good luck!
hahaha... so what does that say about my 3 subject 18cp self? :D Actually thats a stupid question because the answer is that i'm a bludger who'd rather be at the unibar than enrolled in subjects.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Ninga said:
Do 5 subjects, don't be a panlicker. Only girls who can't hack doing a double degree in the alloted time do 4 subjects.
hey hey hey mister!

pam17 said:
i arrived at the uni at 8.15 because i could only catch one bus. for me it took about two hours, runing round trying to find someone, trying to find lost sunnies, and just walking round in circles like an idiot.
i went to the bus station 20mins early so i wouldnt miss my bus back home and read.
read.
and read.
by the time i looked up it was 2.50pm and i'd miss my bus.
i had to wait another 2 and half hours at the bus station because i was too embarrassed to go back to the cafe i'd already been to like three times.
i swear this lady mustve thought i was a bum with no home to go to because she walked past me like three times.

umm... so the point to my story is.. im an idiot. a big big idiot who is now officially apart of wollongong uni.
hurruh.

santaslayer

HSC
aLeeOh! said:
hey hey hey mister!

i arrived at the uni at 8.15 because i could only catch one bus. for me it took about two hours, runing round trying to find someone, trying to find lost sunnies, and just walking round in circles like an idiot.
i went to the bus station 20mins early so i wouldnt miss my bus back home and read.
read.
and read.
by the time i looked up it was 2.50pm and i'd miss my bus.
i had to wait another 2 and half hours at the bus station because i was too embarrassed to go back to the cafe i'd already been to like three times.
i swear this lady mustve thought i was a bum with no home to go to because she walked past me like three times.

umm... so the point to my story is.. im an idiot. a big big idiot who is now officially apart of wollongong uni.
hurruh.
Sounds like you had a fun day. :p

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
haha yeh.
i enjoy sitting on my ass for so long that it falls asleep so i have to get up and rub it till i realise i have about 5 korean students staring at me.... "er.... welcome to wollongong?"

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
hahaha, don't worry I'm sure everyone does stupid things like that the first couple of weeks. Not me though.

It took me about an hour to enrol too; that includes waiting for the SOLS demonstration which was basically telling me what I'm sure I'd figure out by looking at the screen. Everything I've been to at Wollongong so far has been like that - overtly obvious; including the rampant homosexuals (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Hopefully it wont stay that way for long.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
pam17 said:
hahaha, don't worry I'm sure everyone does stupid things like that the first couple of weeks. Not me though.

It took me about an hour to enrol too; that includes waiting for the SOLS demonstration which was basically telling me what I'm sure I'd figure out by looking at the screen. Everything I've been to at Wollongong so far has been like that - overtly obvious; including the rampant homosexuals (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Hopefully it wont stay that way for long.
HOMOPHOBE!!!! HOW DARE YOU SAY THINGS LIKE THAT!!!!

Seriously though, I'd not want to be caught out saying something like that at uni. The bubblewench scares me. She's already tried to beat up Raiks.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
go see the arts people
go to the commerce people
go to the arts people
go and see the commerce people
and so on.

pissed me of majorly but i am enrolled in stuff and tahts all that matters. did anyone else notice that those purple shirts were from 2003?

and what was with those christian people? did i look that lonely?

photo is horrible. just horrible

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Tenille said:
go see the arts people
go to the commerce people
go to the arts people
go and see the commerce people
and so on.

pissed me of majorly but i am enrolled in stuff and tahts all that matters. did anyone else notice that those purple shirts were from 2003?

and what was with those christian people? did i look that lonely?

photo is horrible. just horrible
yes.... the tyranny of choice

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I had made my choice they just made me go in circles before going yeah its all alright.

hahah Raiks you became a "friend". cause i didnt want to some some internet random who after sorting it all out, asked what i was wearing :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)