double degree? (1 Viewer)

jest3r

HSC
hey all, at the moment, im getting my thoughts togethor for my uac preferences, and i'm considering a double degree at the university of wollongong i.e. B. Medical Science/B. Commerce. although i'm not sure if its a good idea, considering i haven't got any background in humanities, yet, i think it would be a good degree to fall back on, incase my aspirations to gain admission into the UOW graduate school of medicine doesn't quite work out. i'm also thinking that a medical science degree alone, although the course itself looks really interesting, however, in terms of career opportunities afterwards, it doesn't look all that great (correct me if i'm wrong). the uai cut-off for both the medical science degree alone and the double degree is around 82, which i think is very reasonable. also, another thought that has just crossed my mind is that perhaps would mean extra work, stress, etc and may compromise my gpa, and therefore my chances of getting into med school? ...hmmmm, im not too sure myself, so im interested in what you think.

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
Lucky for you I've been looking into exactly the same sort of stuff, except different unis.

Double degrees arent really more work but apparantly its a little challenging ("but not in a bad way") at times managing two completely different majors. The main difference is you lose some credit slot thingys where you would normally have your electives. but if you're interested in that stuff it's fine. Or are you talking about something else. I'm talking about combined degrees, and i think they're the same thing. If you want something broad but not taking up the extra year just look into double majors instead of double degrees. But yeah then you can't do stuff like the degree you said.

Medical science is apparently used more often as a stepping stone into medicine, and is fairly broad, so you can switch into other sciencey degrees easily, but more specific than a BSc.

And holy cow I have the same UAI aim as you. Woah we're like, twins. Your HSC is 2007, my HSC is 2007. Your male, I'm male. You have twenty-odd posts, I have twenty-odd posts...Woah the list keeps going...You join BOS in the winter of 06, I joined BOS in the winter of 06, and your last activity was 3:30ish, my last activity was 3:30ish. except that one will change. Damn, i thought i was on to something

Last edited:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
yes wow. He lives in wollongong, you live in Narara. His name is jest3r, your name is jiggymcfizzle. He is a new member, your a pwner of a lonely heart. He has display picture, you have a different one. He has less post, you have more. You use msn he doesnt.

Perfect....lol.

jiggymcfizzle

pwner of a lonely heart
HSC
someone's just upset they don't have anyone to relate to. and it's not me. i dunno if it's you, ya know, just that chances are there is someone somewhere who is upset over that, probably.

HSC
jest3r said:
hey all, at the moment, im getting my thoughts togethor for my uac preferences, and i'm considering a double degree at the university of wollongong i.e. B. Medical Science/B. Commerce. although i'm not sure if its a good idea, considering i haven't got any background in humanities, yet, i think it would be a good degree to fall back on, incase my aspirations to gain admission into the UOW graduate school of medicine doesn't quite work out. i'm also thinking that a medical science degree alone, although the course itself looks really interesting, however, in terms of career opportunities afterwards, it doesn't look all that great (correct me if i'm wrong). the uai cut-off for both the medical science degree alone and the double degree is around 82, which i think is very reasonable. also, another thought that has just crossed my mind is that perhaps would mean extra work, stress, etc and may compromise my gpa, and therefore my chances of getting into med school? ...hmmmm, im not too sure myself, so im interested in what you think.
I graduated last year from a double degree. Personally, it makes no difference when it comes to marks, because you're focusing on the same amount of credit points each semester. The work load is no different, you are however sacrificing the opportunity to o the same amount of "majors/minors/elective" units as other students doing a straight degree would normally do.

Also, the guy after said you could just do 2 majors instead... That's another option to look at - however, this means you only get recognition for ONE on your degree - you will need to verbally outline to prospective emplyers the other qualification. The way this works is you select your KEY PROGRAM (the one to appear on your degree), then you use the remaining points to equate to a major AND a minor. Key programs are about 120 credit points (varies uni to uni), Major is 80 points, Minor is 40 points. 80 + 40 = Key Program Equivalent. However, you can't get credit for it if it hasn't been recognised from the University from enrolment.

Anyways, it's something to think about. I wouldn't panic too much - to be honest with you, I graduated in the middle of '06, and I have never been asked to see the piece of paper, never been asked for my GPA, or to even see the subjects I've completed. And I work for a large global, well recognised organisation within their Marketing Department...

Don't stress too much... just concentrate on your studies, and go from there. HSC isn't the biggest thing you'll ever do (mind you I thought it was when I was at school!!!)

Hope I've helped.

jest3r

HSC
jiggymcfizzle said:
And holy cow I have the same UAI aim as you. Woah we're like, twins. Your HSC is 2007, my HSC is 2007. Your male, I'm male. You have twenty-odd posts, I have twenty-odd posts...Woah the list keeps going...You join BOS in the winter of 06, I joined BOS in the winter of 06, and your last activity was 3:30ish, my last activity was 3:30ish. except that one will change. Damn, i thought i was on to something
^5. tis great that i can relate with other people.

yeah, i know what you mean by a double major, though i don't think UOW offers a double major for medical science, but i might be wrong.

the more i think about it, the more i reckon i should go for the double degree. although one other thing i want to ask is that would doing a commerce degree be a wise thing to do, considering i'm not doing humanities subjects at the moment? i'm looking at the course info, and it looks like an interesting course aswell, and it says that assumed knowledge subjects are 2 units of english.

by the way, thanks for your input people. RebeccaSeamons, you have helped a lot :)

Goodbye

HSC
Well with combined degrees you don't get to chose those easy electives/general-education courses. Aka "WAM-boosters".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)