Double Major (1 Viewer)

murthyakshtih

HSC
Just curious what job prospects are for a double major in Economics and Finance, with a D to HD average, Thanks in advance for all Responses :D

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Pretty good(you'll find one) given that you take a bit of time to beef up other areas too like extra-circular and part-time work.

murthyakshtih

HSC
Pretty good(you'll find one) given that you take a bit of time to beef up other areas too like extra-circular and part-time work.
do you believe a post Graduate Graduate diploma in quantitative finance at UTS will improve my prospects, i currently plan on doing a few extra circular which I've continued doing through out year 11 and 12, and hopefully get a few internships

Chronost

HSC
do you believe a post Graduate Graduate diploma in quantitative finance at UTS will improve my prospects, i currently plan on doing a few extra circular which I've continued doing through out year 11 and 12, and hopefully get a few internships
I recommend trying to look at securing a graduate job first and worry about post graduate qualifications later, in many cases you'll end up in a job(this happens in Finance and Accounting mostly) where the employer will gladly have you take on a specific post graduate qualification related to your job(Usually a CA/CFA but sometimes a masters degree is good too). Otherwise if you can't secure a graduate job then you can look into a post graduate diploma as such to further your studies and chances of securing a grad job.

Continuing on extra-circulars from year 11 and 12 is a great way to show employers that you stick it out and are genuinely interested in something(that doesn't mean doing it one year only is bad, but It looks even better when you've done it in successive years). In terms of internships, secure any experience as soon as possible (I recommend getting some kind of part-time admin job first year) to increase your chances of getting the internship you strive for.

murthyakshtih

HSC
I recommend trying to look at securing a graduate job first and worry about post graduate qualifications later, in many cases you'll end up in a job(this happens in Finance and Accounting mostly) where the employer will gladly have you take on a specific post graduate qualification related to your job(Usually a CA/CFA but sometimes a masters degree is good too). Otherwise if you can't secure a graduate job then you can look into a post graduate diploma as such to further your studies and chances of securing a grad job.

Continuing on extra-circulars from year 11 and 12 is a great way to show employers that you stick it out and are genuinely interested in something(that doesn't mean doing it one year only is bad, but It looks even better when you've done it in successive years). In terms of internships, secure any experience as soon as possible (I recommend getting some kind of part-time admin job first year) to increase your chances of getting the internship you strive for.
ohh i mean yes first thing first i have to secure a graduate position but i was more the less just curious as to what type of positions would come about after the completion of the diploma, and yes thats honestly the main reason i want to stick to my current extra circulars, do you recommend joining societies and clubs, that aren't exactly in line with your degree ?

Chronost

HSC
ohh i mean yes first thing first i have to secure a graduate position but i was more the less just curious as to what type of positions would come about after the completion of the diploma, and yes thats honestly the main reason i want to stick to my current extra circulars, do you recommend joining societies and clubs, that aren't exactly in line with your degree ?
Like I mentioned earlier don't look towards seeing what you get out of the diploma because chances are; you'll be doing another qualification instead which will unlock a number of new positions for you; which by then you will know what type of careers your able to market yourself towards by looking at your senior colleagues - some of which are bound to move (granted you enter a semi-large company you will see a certain turnover rate). If you really want to know what you can get with that specific diploma, it'll actually be for the majority of the time, still competing for the same jobs as undergrads expect you might be able to better apply for more quantitative jobs that require that little bit of higher quantitative skill then an undergrad might provide (that being said you'll still have the actuaries to compete with) - generally I wouldn't bother with a diploma until you secure a grad job and only if it caters to provide skills needed for the next promotion that you're looking for/your employer has an expectation for you to finish such a qualification.

Yes definitely! You don't need to join just societies which are inline with your degree, but it definitely helps with networking and other connections - apart from that uni is also about enjoying yourself so definitely join something of interest and proudly mention it on your resume as employees do like to see a rounded individual which has interests apart from just work/degree specific uni time - and if by chance you become close with that society you can always apply for an exec position which doubles as a both an interest and something to list with responsibilities held

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
If you're thinking like that before starting university, you are fairly set IMO. Well done.

I didn't know what 'big 4' was until 2nd sem, first year.

Job prospects will be really solid and you're very likely to get A job. If you get a HD average/Subject ranks, you will most likely get interviews to IBs.

If that doesn't work out, government jobs are open and you have options to go to the big 4 banks/accounting firms etc. SO MANY OPTIONS.

murthyakshtih

HSC
If you're thinking like that before starting university, you are fairly set IMO. Well done.

I didn't know what 'big 4' was until 2nd sem, first year.

Job prospects will be really solid and you're very likely to get A job. If you get a HD average/Subject ranks, you will most likely get interviews to IBs.

If that doesn't work out, government jobs are open and you have options to go to the big 4 banks/accounting firms etc. SO MANY OPTIONS.
haha thanks for the word of confidence makes me feel so much better honestly that i'm on the right track :) this is slightly off topic but how many hours in a week do you need to study to maintain a good grade ? i know this dependent on an individuals abilities but in your personal opinion ?

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
haha thanks for the word of confidence makes me feel so much better honestly that i'm on the right track :) this is slightly off topic but how many hours in a week do you need to study to maintain a good grade ? i know this dependent on an individuals abilities but in your personal opinion ?
That's basically like saying - how many hours do you need to study to get a 99.7+ ATAR?

Way too many variables.

To be honest, at uni marks are not THAT important for simple reasons. Generally, the more time you put into commerce, the higher your marks will be (obviously there are crammers/kids who 'get it'). So someone who does 'private tutoring' and works for some crappy society and has a 90+ wam in a straight comm or eco degree is not THAT attractive in the private sector compared to someone with a 83 WAM while working part time (two days a week) AND ECs. Here, the 2nd one seems more impressive because you are juggling more things - time management and that you can learn quick.

the grad market is tough out there mannn.

If you want to know specifics/my experiences as a uni student, feel free to pm :).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do things which you're interested in. At the end of the day it's not like you'll learn anything technical which would be recognised as an academic qualification but it might help spur your interest in a particular topic. If you're thinking about it from a role/experience perspective (which I sense you are) then the things you learn from being an executive or director in a society don't really differ that much between societies so you can still gain a lot from even one which has nothing to do with your degree. I was in AUSCA (car society) and I had a blast- it had nothing to do with Commerce or accounting whatsoever.

murthyakshtih

HSC
Do things which you're interested in. At the end of the day it's not like you'll learn anything technical which would be recognised as an academic qualification but it might help spur your interest in a particular topic. If you're thinking about it from a role/experience perspective (which I sense you are) then the things you learn from being an executive or director in a society don't really differ that much between societies so you can still gain a lot from even one which has nothing to do with your degree. I was in AUSCA (car society) and I had a blast- it had nothing to do with Commerce or accounting whatsoever.
The ironic part to this is all the societies i was planning on joining are heavily aligned to the field i want to get in so i guess it will improve my networking abilities and so fourth, but i also plan on joining a robotics club even though its completely out of what my degree is but i actually have a interest in doing it and i've been doing similar activities since year 9 so pretty much an on going extra circular activity, Thanks again for your response much appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)