Double major (1 Viewer)

ressul

Mr
HSC
My question is very simple. If I do Finance and Accounting double major, will I finish these two within 3 years?

sarevok

HSC
No reason why you should not as long as you take a full load each semester - just make sure the units you plan to take total to 144cp.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
double major under the new system is 10uos = 60cp

sarevok

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
double major under the new system is 10uos = 60cp
ic...where did you get this info from and how many cp is a regular major now? thx

stazi

Nightman
HSC
atm its 2jnr+4snr uos. some subjects require more then that as it has prereqs.
Eg. marketing needs ECMT1010, therefore its an extra unit that needs to be taken and isnt counted for the major.
I've gathered this info from stuff i've read and also uos handbooks.
finance, also has 8 required uos for a major.

sarevok

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
atm its 2jnr+4snr uos. some subjects require more then that as it has prereqs.
Eg. marketing needs ECMT1010, therefore its an extra unit that needs to be taken and isnt counted for the major.
I've gathered this info from stuff i've read and also uos handbooks.
finance, also has 8 required uos for a major.
ok... do you know how many cp we will need under the new system for a regular major?
i wish the uni would provide more info about what effect the new system will have, makes it very difficult to plan your degree, though i guess in the long run it will be better

stazi

Nightman
HSC
under the new system it's 8uos = 6X8 = 42cp. Currently it's 12+24=36cp.
You don't have to take the changes and just take the new 6cp courses but submit an extra essay/task for each subject to make up 2 extra cp.
Hehe you're so going to want to drop com lib to straight commerce after the changes :p otherwise you'd have to do more subjects in things you may not be interested in.

Awesome for me because I want to take extra units.

ressul

Mr
HSC
Sorry, I just want to confirm. Say for B Commerce, the required cp is equal to 48(Accounting)+48(Finance)+36(compulsory units)+12(2 electives)=144, is that right?
And what is the new system you're talking about anyway?
Thank you guys so much!!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
under the new system it's 8uos = 6X8 = 42cp. Currently it's 12+24=36cp.
You don't have to take the changes and just take the new 6cp courses but submit an extra essay/task for each subject to make up 2 extra cp.
Hehe you're so going to want to drop com lib to straight commerce after the changes :p otherwise you'd have to do more subjects in things you may not be interested in.

Awesome for me because I want to take extra units.
dont we get a choice as to whether we wish to take up the new system?

btw, im posting from the comp access centre in fisher...omg :eek:

sweetgurl

ressul said:
Sorry, I just want to confirm. Say for B Commerce, the required cp is equal to 48(Accounting)+48(Finance)+36(compulsory units)+12(2 electives)=144, is that right?
And what is the new system you're talking about anyway?
Thank you guys so much!!!

where did 48 cp for Accounting and finance come from??

ressul

Mr
HSC
Faculty handbook P19.
I just saw it but I don't know whether I think it on the right track

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ressul. You are incorrect with CP requirements now (as the prereqs for commerce cover the prereqs for finance/accounting I think). It's actually 32 cp for each accounting and finance major. 48 for a double major
Yes, you do not have to change. If you do not change to the new system, you will take 8 credit point units as 6 credit point units and submit an extra essay or set task to make up the 2 credit points.
The new system effectively changes All UOS to 6cp, even senior ones. A major will become 8 uos, instead of 2jnr+4snr.

sarevok

HSC
better to switch to the new system though. it means you can cover a broader range of topics in your majors and because all units are 6cp it's much easier to plan your degree to reach your required 144cp (if you're doing a bcommerce) instead of having to deal with different cp values for units.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
sarevok said:
better to switch to the new system though. it means you can cover a broader range of topics in your majors and because all units are 6cp it's much easier to plan your degree to reach your required 144cp (if you're doing a bcommerce) instead of having to deal with different cp values for units.
but 2x6 + 4x8 = 44cp

new system 8x6 = 48cp.. seems like a waste of 4 cp.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
but you can do more UOS if you are interested in getting as much expertise as you can.

sarevok

HSC
absolution* said:
but 2x6 + 4x8 = 44cp

new system 8x6 = 48cp.. seems like a waste of 4 cp.
yeah...but you get a greater breadth of knowledge and it's difficult to structure a degree to the req. number of cp when the number of cp for uos differs. usyd's e+b faculty's archaic cp system is one of the reasons why unsw is regarded to be better, prob why usyd is phasing it out

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
sarevok said:
yeah...but you get a greater breadth of knowledge and it's difficult to structure a degree to the req. number of cp when the number of cp for uos differs. usyd's e+b faculty's archaic cp system is one of the reasons why unsw is regarded to be better, prob why usyd is phasing it out
hmmm yeah i agree with the changes but im already fucked trying to fit 3 majors and all the cpa requirements into one degree.

:(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah it will be less work to take 6cp subjects and complete 2cp assignments. the subjects will be 'dumbed down' with less requirements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)