double majors (1 Viewer)

schwang_thang

chances r, next yr im gonna b doing biz at UTS

i wanna major in finance, but am also thinking of accounting bcos its the safe option since the whole world needs accountants

so how abt it? is majoring in both finance n accounting a gud move? is the workload(subjects, hrs) that much heavier?

tnx

jessika

law chicky
HSC
apparently, according to my friend whos just finished 2nd or was it 3rd? economics, accounting is really hard!!!!

but that aint going to stop me from doing it :D

B

Bambul

Accounting/finance is a no brainer option, it's like the phys/chem/eco of business/commerce degrees. Most of my friends doing a BCom do an accounting/finance double major and they are the two most popular majors at UNSW for a BCom.

And for the record, I happen to be doing economics/accounting double major.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
anyway too add another opinion on it, I was talking to another chick at my work...and she said accounting was hell easy! yay for me.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by Bambul
Accounting/finance is a no brainer option, it's like the phys/chem/eco of business/commerce degrees.
no brainer? plz explain...!

do u mean its fully boring or fully irrelevant (or both?)

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think he means that its the "standard" choice....very common combination since they complement so well and are perceived as the most relevant.

I for one am also interested in the finance/accounting major, but that is still dependent on whether i get into combined law, and at which uni (usyd lets u have a double major with combined law, unsw does not).

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Something else you might want to consider is the workload... double degrees are obviously twice as much work :)

I don't have much of a clue on the eco/commerce side of things, though, so I apologise if this comment is irrelevant (a cousin who did eco at unsw said he did about a max of 12hrs lectures/tutes in a week!)

B

Bambul

I'm currently doing Economics at UNSW. That number was about right. I had between 12.5-13.5 hours per week of contact hours (the extra hour depended on whether or not I had a lab that week and accounting tutorials go for 1.5 hours).

A double degree isn't so much twice the workload. Well, it is more work, but it takes more years to do it so your workload per year is about the same.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by timmii

I for one am also interested in the finance/accounting major, but that is still dependent on whether i get into combined law, and at which uni (usyd lets u have a double major with combined law, unsw does not).
really? does combined law at usyd let u double major? so u can like major in accounting and finance in commerce with law?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by orangeguy

really? does combined law at usyd let u double major? so u can like major in accounting and finance in commerce with law?
I asked, and it is available....not particularly recommended due to the workload, but yes offered. If in doubt ask them.....I've been pestering unsw and usyd for months now :p

chait

I'm doing combined commerce/economics

Majors:
BComm - Finance and International Business
BEc - Economics (<---actually 2 econ majors)

1. does everyone have their final year made up almost entirely of electives?

2. does anyone have compulsory quantitative 'courses' (ie. subjects) for BEc??

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, double majors seem like double degree's cause u basically get twice the qualifications (depending on ur major's)
As a side note, 80% of UNSW commerce/economics graduates complete a double major in their degree.

And about workloads for double degree's, I have about the same number of hours as Bambul, and I'm doing Economics/Arts (double major in Economics and International Business) - its because it's the same number of units each year, except I'm at uni for 5 years instead of the normal 3 years.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I;m going to do a Major and then a minor for Commerce, Going to major in Industrial relations & HRM and a minor in Marketing, but lately thinking of doing a double major! But i just wonder what the workload is gonna be like!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by zannaz
I;m going to do a Major and then a minor for Commerce, Going to major in Industrial relations & HRM and a minor in Marketing, but lately thinking of doing a double major! But i just wonder what the workload is gonna be like!
The workload is essentially the same, coz within ur degree u need to complete the same number of credit points anyway, whether u do a single major, or a double major. A double major means u just get less credit points to do electives (as most of ur credit points are taken by ur two majors)

For example, in my Economics degree, for a single major, I complete 48 credit points out 132, then the other 84 is options/electives. If I do a double major, then its 48 cp for economics, and 42 cp for my other major, so that means 90 cp out of 132, leaving me with 42 cp for electives.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Hmmmm, i understand now!

It's just that i get less electives as my majors would take up the credit points!!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
im going to double majors in actuarial studies and mathematics (hopefully, advanced) ... the main difference i guess is taking a whole heap of core units, and very few electives ... :(

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

And about workloads for double degree's, I have about the same number of hours as Bambul, and I'm doing Economics/Arts (double major in Economics and International Business)
Im doing international business too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)