double vs single degree? (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I confess that I've never seen the word before outside of mathematics. I assumed it was related to monotony, which, considering the context of the thread, I construed as "graduates are all the same (hence monotonous) - you need something to stand out". In hindsight, it could also have referred to the repetitive nature of study in a particular field. Is that what you meant?

And "moron" is hardly civil. Can't people have a decent conversation these days?
When you respond with irrelevant vitriol to a joke that you don't even understand then I will call you a moron. Because that is what morons do.
Monotonicity is an economic term essentially meaning "more of a good is better". Hence, under ceteris parabis, two degrees are always better than one. Obviously this does not hold as soon as you take into account lost opportunities with time/money. That's the joke. If you don't understand it, next time just stay quiet or at least use google first.

SoresuMakashi

HSC
When you respond with irrelevant vitriol to a joke that you don't even understand then I will call you a moron. Because that is what morons do.
Monotonicity is an economic term essentially meaning "more of a good is better". Hence, under ceteris parabis, two degrees are always better than one. Obviously this does not hold as soon as you take into account lost opportunities with time/money. That's the joke. If you don't understand it, next time just stay quiet or at least use google first.
I did use Google. There are no results on the first page regarding this definition. The fastest way I can find anything about it is through a google search, into Wikipedia's "Monotonic function", into disambiguations, into 10 different possibilities, and only then into an article that doesn't even explicitly use the word. Surely I could be forgiven for misunderstanding you when you used such an obscure term with multiple meanings. Regardless, it's not a reason to call someone a moron.

My apologies to the OP for having completely derailed the topic of discussion. I think that you should go for a combined degree if and only if you have a passion for both fields.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)