• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

download & upload speed (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
Lets say I have ADSL 256 kbps down & 64 kbps up.

If I'm currently uploading at 32 kbps, will my maximum download speed be approximately
(256 - 32 = 224) kbps OR
(256 - 32/64 * 256 = 128) kbps OR
some other speed
???

Adrian.

HSC
AFAIK it's not really that easy. ADSL cannot reach it maximum upload or download while the other is at it's maximum. When ever you're downloading you're also uploading (you upload packets saying "send me more") and vice versa. Oh also you can't actually reach your max line speed on ADSL (eg 256/8 = 32kBps, but no one with 256kbps ever gets that speed).

I don't think that even answered your question. Try http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

mojako

HSC
well.. my question is essentially whether upload is counted as its actually speed (eg 32kbps in my example) or as a proportion of the max speed (so 32kbps upload effectively takes up half of the total bandwidth, which is 256 kbps, so I can only use roughly the other 128kbps for download).
If that makes sense...

Looking at my dialup it seems that upload counts according to its actual speed.
That might be the most stupid question ever asked :p

In fact upload and download may have separate bandwidth since I'm downloading at 6.5kBps and uploading at 2kBps (and I'm connected at 52kbps according to the connection icon on the taskbar). But I'm not too sure if bandwidth monitor program is reliable.

Last edited:

Merforga

Broadband download and upload are independant of each other. Uploading shouldnt affect your download speed. As a rule of thumb, upload for adsl is about 6-7 kb max whereas cable is about 15-20 max. Download max for adsl is about 100k max and cable is about 1 meg.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
nah... my uploads are at max like 13k/sec im on adsl

also my downloads become slower wen i upload at max speed ...

mojako

HSC
merforga was talking about the slowest adsl plan / type... (when he said "upload for adsl is about 6-7 kb max whereas cable is about 15-20 max")
urs is faster, and more expensive ^_^

and when he said "Download max for adsl is about 100k max and cable is about 1 meg" its the fastest and most expensive type available at the moment.

I hope he doesnt mind me taking over his role ;)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i've reached 32kb/s once ^_^ shame it only lasted a minute...

Merforga

mojako said:
merforga was talking about the slowest adsl plan / type... (when he said "upload for adsl is about 6-7 kb max whereas cable is about 15-20 max")
urs is faster, and more expensive ^_^

and when he said "Download max for adsl is about 100k max and cable is about 1 meg" its the fastest and most expensive type available at the moment.

I hope he doesnt mind me taking over his role ;)

I haven't looked at proper speeds for a while O_O...but thanks for clearing that up ^^

mojako

HSC
Merforga said:
I haven't looked at proper speeds for a while O_O...but thanks for clearing that up ^^
huh??
I dont think I said anything new or significant...

werent u aware of the different ADSL speeds? (eg "256/64", "512/128", "1500/256" etc)
the last one is actually quite weird coz its not a multiple of 8

Adrian.

HSC
mojako said:
werent u aware of the different ADSL speeds? (eg "256/64", "512/128", "1500/256" etc)
the last one is actually quite weird coz its not a multiple of 8
The last one (1500/256) is actually 1536/256. I used to have 1500 ADSL and while the ISP called it 1500 my modem registered it as 1536.
Also just to let you know the ADSL speeds you have listed are not the only speeds available with ADSL. They're just the artificial limits that Telstra imposes on their DSLAMS. ADSL is actually capable of reaching speeds of ~8000/1000. So thanks to Telstra we aren't getting the full potential of ADSL.
Anyway that's the end of my nerdy rant.

mojako

HSC
Adrian. said:
The last one (1500/256) is actually 1536/256. I used to have 1500 ADSL and while the ISP called it 1500 my modem registered it as 1536.
Also just to let you know the ADSL speeds you have listed are not the only speeds available with ADSL. They're just the artificial limits that Telstra imposes on their DSLAMS. ADSL is actually capable of reaching speeds of ~8000/1000. So thanks to Telstra we aren't getting the full potential of ADSL.
Anyway that's the end of my nerdy rant.
well thats how they make money :p

masteraal

i actually had a little bitch to my isp for why my download was slowwww...

the prob was...i had Bittorrent running at full upload so pretty much it was uploading at about 28kb/sec and that hampers my download speed as when u download stuff it also uploads information
ie if download a 1mb file it will upload like 50kb of information
so if it struggles to upload that 50kb in like 7 seconds the download speed is EXTREMELY slow.. so if u have Bittorrent...cap the upload speed!

mojako

HSC
redslert said:
*sigh* they actually call 32KB/sec broadband.....
of course... its faster than dialup :p
and today broadband seems to mean any connection which is permanent

mojako

HSC
while we're on the topic of bandwidth management..
does anybody know a software program which can limit the bandwidth shared to certain computers on the network (or, to all other network computers collectively, as distinct from the host)?
I dont mind if its not freeware.. well.. because Im likely to find the cra** on the net.

Last edited:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
cable can never go faster than 15kb/s upload. I've never seen mine reach 16 ever and no way in hell can it go >16 since the actual cap is 128kbit :/

And afaik the reason you see your download go fast first is cause thats the work of some compression shit in your modem, it's not the ACTUAL speed that its going at, because thats impossible since broadband dl speed caps are 6mbit (or 5?)

I think broadband needs faster upload, its so annoying to have to stop BT downloads to play and vice versa :p
512kbit upload is enough :)
oh and make a 40 gig cap, i'd pay $100 a month for that EASY :D:D:D

mojako said:
while we're on the topic of bandwidth management..
does anybody know a software program which can limit the bandwidth shared to certain computers on the network (or, to all other network computers collectively, as distinct from the host)?
I dont mind if its not freeware.. well.. because Im likely to find the cra** on the net.
and btw, i think its called Bandwidth controller,

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=65793

^^ answers everything, i stopped using it cause im on a router now >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)