Downloading from uniwide, few questions... (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
uploads are pretty fast too

Omium said:
Oh, i dont have a laptop.

I just go into random lecture rooms/ CATS rooms.
and computer is always on.
I download.
Come back later. there finished.

Or i just go into the Chem Eng computer labs and Download off the computer with unlimited downloads $$$$

(Oh, and at the library, dont let your timer run out, log off, then log back in as soon as its about to expire. the reservation thingy wont work that way :) )

lol, i once had 7 Simlulatenous downloads going at 300kb/s
(off 7 different computers)

Though i wont say where i did that :santa:
win

Omium said:
USB :)

Save directly to USB.

(UNSW tracking me down now......)
thats the way to do

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
when people upload to that site they can only post the link elsewhere, there's no on-site directory

you can however make the most of http://megadownload.net/ but it often doesn't find much or you'll discover spanish dubbing over a movie that should be in cantonese.

but you can usually find a few gems on there. or just search on google like "somemovietitle megaupload" and you can find links

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
(this was in another topic somewhere, but i cant find it, so i shall resurrect the topic)

ok so theres this email that (apparantly everyone) got saying not to download illegal stuff from uniwide. Whats the deal with that? Happens every year just to scare ppl into stopping?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
its just that the uni can be liable for damages and they have to pay heaps of $$$ to the movie/music companies that threaten to sue.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
This is the first year they've sent the email.

HSC
dont do it. trust me, i work for IT support at UNSW and they will find you and crusify you for it. they're getting to a point now we're they'll just hand over your details should the ARIA confront unsw (which it has several times). Aria is relying on UNSW using its own internal mechanisms to get rid of leechers... for now

if ur smart ull just tap into an ethernet port using a blank computer (ie. no trakcing details) and do your leeching there. but the wireless can only be accessed entering your personal id, or if you can crack it go for ur life.

why not just buy a wireless internet? its so cheap these days and that way yo ucan leech whatever the fuck you want

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
oic.
btw music i download from home, only big stuff, like games or software i get from uni. via uploads, not torrents. But still, unless the upload parts are like over 2 gigs, i get from home internet.

edit: u work for IT support? just curious, how would they catch whoever was downloading heaps of stuff?

HSC
dude anything you get from BT uses specific ports they pick up on thats consistent with p2p activity. maybe dling just a song wont do anything but you want to take that risk

unsw comms unit has a server that sends all IT support staff a very fucking annoying email every so often they presume the internets being abused or flooded, because p2p does like pretty much thrash your internet by downloading parts of a file from many different clients too maximise download speed; vs loading just a few internet sites with hte average user you can tell the difference (this is determined by comm engineers/technitions/analysts that work for the comms unit ... usually just some lackey) ... also ARIA would pick up on the leeching and contact the ISP (ie. unsw) and they'll send down the fire and brimstone onto you

anyways this email contains IP Addresses, ip addresses are assigned from a server which gives you that IP address once you give it your student ID and password!

we had to ban a few students from using computers from them constantly ignoring us, i hope ur not one of them :p

i personally dont chase up people downloading, i deal more with troubleshooting hardware, virus's, dickheads who slow down computers (my solution: format ! ), i set up computer labs (you can thank me for all those new computers in samuels :p i had to do 2 floors by myself!!) + i helped with G2-G4 in Wallace wurth, and a few in level 4/5

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ah so thats how p2p works. Its always slow for me when i try azureus at uni, well i tried twice, each time it was slow, so i dont use it at uni, if im gonna download from uni i use uploads, which i dont think
Casmira said:
pretty much thrash your internet by downloading parts of a file from many different clients too maximise download speed
Anyhoo ive already got the main stuff i wanted, so uni downloads will now consist of youtube watching.

HSC
I hope they catch the biggest leeches and put them in jail or something.

Get an adsl connection like everybody else and leech on your own time, instead of screwing up the chance to use free internet for everyone else, goddamn.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Downloading from uniwide, few questions...

I'm a frequent IRC user and people looking at my screen mistake me for programming because of the Fixedsys font.
I hope Uniwide allows IRC.

HSC
Re: 回复: Downloading from uniwide, few questions...

did they block IRC? cunts.

HSC

I certainly hope not, if they blocked IRC then I ain't getting a laptop. IRC is the only thing I'd ever use uniwide for =/

HSC

seriously just plug ur laptop into a ethernet port, pray that its activated and bam. unrestricted internets

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

yeknow i never thought of doing that yet. but again ive always been too lazy to do that. i just want power =)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Downloading from uniwide, few questions...

Casmira said:
did they block IRC? cunts.
Starcraftmazter said:
I certainly hope not, if they blocked IRC then I ain't getting a laptop. IRC is the only thing I'd ever use uniwide for =/
What I really wanted to know is if UNSW IT endorses or at least allows IRC on uniwide.
I was on IRC during semester 2, no problems.

LoveChick

HSC
N/A
It's not the right thing to do.
I'll say a few downloads may be fine, but not heaps

Prosper

HSC

I'm a frequent IRC user and people looking at my screen mistake me for programming because of the Fixedsys font.
I hope Uniwide allows IRC.
wow you are so hardcore being mistaken for programming =/
you could always come to cse laptop lounge and find some real programmers? :p
on second thought, dont come to cse laptop lounge, its too crowded :p
they should make you scan your card to get entry imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)