• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Downloading Music...Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

HSC
if it's a band i don't really know, i'll usually download a couple of tracks from each album or whatever, and if i like it then i'll go out and buy it/order it. files on a computer just aren't the same as having an actual cd with liner notes and everything.

as for bands i already know -- most of the time i'll go buy their record without hesitation, without downloading the songs first (unless it leaks and i'm really tempted, hahah, but in that case i still buy it afterwards). and if then there's things like live versions and remixes that you can't buy, i download them.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
mmm, i concur with most...

i download alot of stuff, but if its good- i buy the record, if its rubbish- it gets deleted. :)

this doesnt include stuff that ill know i want... ie. if beck shat on a piece of toast, i'd prolli still buy it :eek:

M.I.A-187

HSC
Yeah, Artists and Bands shouldn't be pissed at downloading cause they just never understand the term of "sharing is caring" :). Also they should not cause first o they are already rich as F##k and groupies will buy their shit anyway.

arrested development
HSC
Sometimes downloading can help bands/artists out A LOT.

e.g. the Arctic Monkeys are tipped to be a HUUUUGE band this year, but they would never have gotten such a large following if it weren't for the fact that fans were able to download the demos put up on the net before they had recorded anything proper. ;)

Conclusion: don't underestimate the power of free (illegal) downloading.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i do both. when i know about a band and have heard enough songs that i like, then i buy the album, because i know that itll be worth my money if i like most of whats on it.

otherwise if i hear a good song on the radio, im likely just to dl it.

Adam

HSC
I download music that isn't worth the money, read: most 'catchy' songs on the radio.

I buy any CD that is worth buying, and go to at least a gig per month, and half of my wardrobe is made up of band t-shirts.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
M.I.A-187 said:
Yeah, Artists and Bands shouldn't be pissed at downloading cause they just never understand the term of "sharing is caring" :). Also they should not cause first o they are already rich as F##k and groupies will buy their shit anyway.
See i find that interesting.

People who download settle themselves with the thought "oh theyre rich, look at all the cds they sell" but most bands and artists never see the cd sales because of the way the contracts work.

Would it change your view if you knew that slowly you were killing your favourite band due to the market being much more competitive?

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i download music
its free, and fast and easy and i dont have to leave the comfort of my own home.
but if its a band i really like, i will go out and buy their album, or if i cant find the album anywhere in any stores and dont want to wait for it to be ordered in, i will download it.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
AsyLum said:
Its interesting to note that the 'sign' of supporting artists has been to buy their cd, but in fact this has more to do with supporting record labels. Which seems fine until you come across a smaller label or independent label who rely on such revenue.

It is without a doubt that most artists get direct funds from merchandise and touring, rather than cd sales.
Dude everythings connected. Artists make most of their money from making the album, but if people dont buy the cd their contact is worth less. Record labels sign artists up and pay them what they believe they can sell. If they sell less, then obviously theyll get less.

This all affects the touring as well. As promoters may not want to risk the high cost of bringing a concert as they believe the demand isnt big enough in a country.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thats what im saying, they DONT make their money from cd sales.

Take something like Grinspoon.

Of the $30 that you pay for the CD:

$25 goes straight back to the record company.
of the $5 remaining:

~$3 goes to advertising/promotion

~$2 goes back to the company if the whole thing doesnt recoup or goes over budget initially.

That leaves very little to each band/artist.

7th Sign

HSC
AsyLum said:
Thats what im saying, they DONT make their money from cd sales.

Take something like Grinspoon.

Of the $30 that you pay for the CD:

$25 goes straight back to the record company.
of the $5 remaining:

~$3 goes to advertising/promotion

~$2 goes back to the company if the whole thing doesnt recoup or goes over budget initially.

That leaves very little to each band/artist.

this is not the case with some artists...

I know in the usa Master P gets about 10 bucks off every cd he produces...Straight into his hand....as he owns the record company...he does the producing him self..

I know quite a few other artists who get like 5 bucks of every cd...

Artists make the big money of concerts soo if you want to support them go to their concerts...

HSC
yeah, a lot of bands on indie labels/their own labels make more money per album they sell, but the thing is that they don't sell millions of records like most of the bullshit pop artists out there. most smaller bands make more money off touring/merch etc than they ever do from cd sales.

JoeMK

HSC
i believe music download should be legal,cuz most artists make their money from concerts rather then Cd sales, cuz the record label gets most of the money for album sales
the net is a better promotional tool for the artists' concert, cuz a larger and wider variety of people get a chance to hear it.. so in sum ways artists profit from it....actually u wouldn't believe how many artists support illegal music download

s2indie

HSC
I download heaps. But I've also got heaps of records of the artists/bands I've liked from sampling their stuff.
Also MP3 blogs make me feel less guilty. Not that I feel all that much guilt.

justbecause

icanhascheezburger
HSC
Some music is extremely hard to find on CD, so I download them. Otherwise I'll buy. But I like to download to taste test if I want to buy. I'm more into spending my money on seeing artists live. As for itunes, I think that's pretty stupid to buy downloaded songs with the DRM protection. I see no point in it at all. That's not going to stop people from sharing music. It's like restricting people from music.

Soulseek is the way to go =)

urf

Just urf
Green Hell (It's like every hell...but kinda green
HSC
While I personally download very little (actually I'm quite proud of my cd collection), there is one good thing I can say that has come from the accessibility of free illegal copies of music - it has forced artists to be more creative in what they put with their cd's, these days many bands put live/clip dvd's with their cd's, or they may put heaps of interesting crap in the little booklet that comes with it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most of which has been common practice in the East-Asian markets of Korea and Japan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)