DPP Advice (1 Viewer)

jess083

HSC
Hi

I am really interested in working in criminal prosecution (the DPP) and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice they could give me. I havent got the best grades (C average) and they only offer 4 articles. Is it possible to volunteer so I can get my foot in the door? I am a JD student so havent got much time left and am starting to worry cos its the area I really enjoy.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Yes, do volunteer work there if you can - if nothing's being offered, try cold-calling them and telling them who you are and what your objectives are. I know two people who have done this and it's a massive foot in the door for when you want to apply for a position there.

My only other advice would be that prosecuting is really hard, under-resourced and pays peanuts. And that's not even really advice.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
My only other advice would be that prosecuting is really hard, under-resourced and pays peanuts. And that's not even really advice.
Hence why the DPP is more in the business of plea bargaining than actual prosecution.

jess083

HSC
Great thanks for that info. i will give them a call and see if they need a volunteer? With the police prosecutors do you have to go through police training and be a cop for awhile until you can work as a police prosecutor? Just trying to work out how they actually become police prosecutors.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Great thanks for that info. i will give them a call and see if they need a volunteer? With the police prosecutors do you have to go through police training and be a cop for awhile until you can work as a police prosecutor? Just trying to work out how they actually become police prosecutors.
Police prosecutors operate in a local court. They are police and have undertaken specific legal and advocacy training within the organisation. There is some current debate over the police relinquishing these powers to the DPP. This however would be extremely difficult, particularly in attracting a sufficient number of solicitors to perform what is often perceived to be menial duties, on a very average salary

Prosecutors with DPP (Crown Prosecutors) are generally barristers, and operate in the District Court and above. Obviously, they deal with far more complex and serious matters.

Last edited:

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
I'm not sure if it's a prerequisite to have crash hot grades to work at the DPP though having good grades is advantageous. I work part-time at a state DPP office and a lot of the work the case lawyers do are not predominantely black-letter law type tasks (which, I'd imagine is what occupies most of the time of a commercial lawyer) but mainly going through evidence to determine what charges should be drafted on indictments, doing committal hearings and sentences. My advice would be to do some volunteering work at a community legal centre so that you can show them you have a strong interest in social justice (it's how I ended up at the DPP office). It's a good place to work but, as Hfis said, it's generally under-resourced and pays peanuts and yes prosecuting is pretty difficult (in the trials that I've been involved with it wasn't all that hard for defence to raise a bit of reasonable doubt). I also heard that it's quite common every now and then for cases to be briefed out to the private bar because there just aren't that many prosecutors to take on the massive work loads. Police prosecutions is separate from the DPP office though it is not uncommon for a trivial case (eg common assault) to end up at the DPP office and sometimes ridiculous cases even proceed to a full blow jury trial before a foreseeable nolle prosequi is presented half-way through! You won't make a lot of $$$ as a prosecutor but I wouldn't say you would make less than any other profession that requires a degree and so it's a very worthwhile pursuit if you are interested in criminal law.

Hey incentivation is that Brennan J quote in your signature from Mabo (No2)? I remember reading "skeleton of principle" somewhere... Mabo?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)