Drama GP with special needs student (1 Viewer)

mitchfel

HSC
Hey im currently in a drama class consisting of 5 people which forced us to do one GP altogether. ONe girl in my class is currently studying in what our school calls Integrated Studies doing the LikeSkills course as she has down syndrome. I was wondering if anyone also has this situation or knows of any information as im wondering if there is any procedure to be taken or a notification to the board or anything like that? obviously her disability has affected our GP and I am very nervous as to how it all works during the examination....

elliemac

HSC
hey
look dont stress
i'm not in the same situation as you bt most gp have problems with wat to do & how to do it
as far as i know there nothing from the BOS that has any regard to this
bt wat i do suggest is work in with the individual so that they are able & give a fair go within the group
like even if u use a simple idea it could still work

wat are u doin for ur ip?

good luck & let me know how it goes
el:)

goosiegoo

HSC
I'm pretty sure your drama teacher should be filing a... thing... for special needs/consideration. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case, because it would be for every other exam.

mitchfel

HSC
pfff i have a terrible terrible drama teacher (seriously when i started elective Drama in year 9 I already knew more about the subject then she did). She is adamant that there is nothing to be done, that the student is simply accepted as a mainstream drama student and is marked accordingly. I refuse to believe thats the situation....

Weve pretty much completed our GP though and weve given her special parts which are based on movement, as we found things such as dialogue and big emotions difficult for her. The other side is we hope we dont get marked down for doing so i.e not giving a student enough yada yada...or being discriminative.....but i mean what else could we have done. Its all so tough.:confused:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
your teacher needs to fill in a special consideration form, if not for your whole group then at least for the student with the disability - she has a condition which will considerably affect her performance in the exam, it's that simple. It's not fair of the teacher to her to write her off as being a 'mainstream' student because that basically says "deal with it and keep up" which clearly she can't do. I think you've made a good effort to accomodate her needs in the performance - you do need to make sure that she has some dialogue or vocal participation in the piece as well as movement because it's a criteria everyone has to meet; if actual dialogue is hard for her to manage, perhaps some sound effects, or something.

mitchfel

HSC
thanks for your reply. Any idea specifically where to obtain and send such a special consideration form? Ive racked the entire board of studies website, even email them. My next step will be to ring them but if anyone knows how to go about the procedure that would be very helpful.

Lozza99

HSC
as the actual exam is this week (for me anyway) :S this probably isn't much help but doesn't your school have some form of curriculum coordinator? theyre supposed to do the special needs stuff...probably have done so if they knew about the studnts condition....good luck anyway. hope it goes well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)