• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drama or Extension English...? (1 Viewer)

beckles

at boarding school in the mighty town of Tamworth
HSC
hey there.
really im just after some advice, please dont send a million posts arguing with eachother, just give me advice on which i should drop yeh?

drama, 3 assessments so far: essay worth 10% i got 16/20
IP performance worth 5% i got 4.2/5
performance based on 'the doll' worth 10% got 8/10
i was rank 1 in all of above.
there's only 5 ppl in my class.
i dont know what to do for my IP and im worried about the group performance becasue we have a couple or poor actors in the class.

then there's extension eng:

only had one assessment for it so far: essay worth 15% got 11/15 rank 6

the class is a bit intimidating and the work load is big. but its only one afternoon a week.

anyway, any advice you can give would be heaps appreciated.
thanx a bunch...

coconutoil63

HSC
hey buddy i do both, its seriously what you enjoy and stuff

like for extensionn we're doing individual and the society and for drama we're doing brecht and australian contemporay theatre. Sure, they are both great subjects, however cause of the stupid scaling system if u like get under 85 for drama you get scaled way down...extension english is a stronger subject.

whatever you pick, pick the one YOU enjoy man cause people excel and things they enjoy doing

peace

ishq

brown?
HSC
beckles said:
hey there.
really im just after some advice, please dont send a million posts arguing with eachother, just give me advice on which i should drop yeh?

drama, 3 assessments so far: essay worth 10% i got 16/20
IP performance worth 5% i got 4.2/5
performance based on 'the doll' worth 10% got 8/10
i was rank 1 in all of above.
there's only 5 ppl in my class.
i dont know what to do for my IP and im worried about the group performance becasue we have a couple or poor actors in the class.

then there's extension eng:

only had one assessment for it so far: essay worth 15% got 11/15 rank 6

the class is a bit intimidating and the work load is big. but its only one afternoon a week.

anyway, any advice you can give would be heaps appreciated.
thanx a bunch...
I guess it depends.
Do you enjoy Ext Eng or not?
I mean, if you only have it because it 'scales high', then you might want to rethink your choice.
:D
And those are great Drama marks!

Good Luck!

HSC
I'd go for keeping extension, man i dropped maths so i could focus more on extension.
but you're doing well in both so whichever one you choose it has to be the one ur most confident in.
good luck :)...actually ...why drop any at all?

Peartie

HSC
If you dont like english why keep it....i mean i dont see why you HAVE to drop...you're doing well in both of them so why not keep them?

beckles

at boarding school in the mighty town of Tamworth
HSC
yeh, it would be great to keep both but 13 units is pointless and i cant handle the extra work, seriously a whole 3 units aint going to count...
so i have put it down to those subjects
my others are Math (adv), eng(adv), chemistry, biology, modern history...
while im here, any hints on where i can start looking for research/monlogues and stuff for my IP??

Peartie

HSC
beckles said:
yeh, it would be great to keep both but 13 units is pointless and i cant handle the extra work, seriously a whole 3 units aint going to count...
so i have put it down to those subjects
my others are Math (adv), eng(adv), chemistry, biology, modern history...
I'm doing 13 U and i rekon it actually helps because it allows you to kinda stay more focused- thats my opinion neways....i was thinking of dropping biz but i dk coz i want 12 or more units.....

beckles said:
while im here, any hints on where i can start looking for research/monlogues and stuff for my IP??
Find a play u like and mix n match bits of it to make a story line out of it.....or you can find a play and then write you're own monolgue as a character in the play or you can do as a friend is doing- write up your own script altogether......then again i cant talk coz im doing director's folio.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
dont drop either. i do them both and they are really fun to do. if u want to get rid of a subject drop something boring like maths or bio imo

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
beckles said:
thanks heaps

yeah i know hey, i enjoy drama more, but it scale badly.
we're do the individual and society too, what sup texts have you chosen?
I did both.

In my Drama class we had 15 kids. I was ranked 2nd coming into exams. My internal mark was fairly average...around mid to high 80s. I ended up with an HSC mark of 94, same as the girl that was ranked 1st in the class. With the whole scale badly stuff, I agree but also disagree. If you get over 88, it doesn't. It's a fine and dandy subject over that mark I reckon. I must say that without my drama mark (that was complimented by my VA mark of 95) I would NEVER of gotten anywhere near my UAI which was 93.65.

I did Extension English, spec fic. Class of 6, I was ranked 2nd coming into exams. My internal mark was 43. I was expecting 45 or above for my HSC mark. I got 39 because my entire class performed badly in the exam. It f*cked me around UAI wise, cause if I had gotten even over 42 my UAI would of been in the 95s.

So yeah, stay with both I reckon. I did 11 units and it went ok.

HSC
if it were me id drop english. but i have 12 units and was told to keep a back up just in case you stuff one exam up.

NightShadow

HSC
if you're worried about crappy students in group...ask your teacher to do an all and nothing....basically putting all the good people in one group..and the losers...in their own like failure group...thus you guys get good..and well...they..can sink or swim...also...if you haven't got an IP then..well...its quite into the school year...and if you haven't done it..you'll probably have to fudge a bit...for the jounral and stuff...you need INSPIRATION!!!

as for 3 unit...its probably not worth the work for..HEY...1 more UNIT!!!

but drama does scale..down...unless you're up there with the rest of the state....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)