Dramatic Irony in Fontline Eps (1 Viewer)

aussiechica

Hi! As a little excel-bitch (I love those books- where would I be without em) I was totally stuffed when my book started going on about the eps we aint doing.

I have a bit of a problem with irony (im dumb btw)- I have trouble telling the difference between dramatic irony, sophoclean irony and them just being plain funny.

Could someone please be a doll and give me a few examples of dramtic irony in Frontline- my excell book isnt working and my teacher is sick (shes also a bitch- that makes her a sik bitch ay) :D , so Im stuffed

Is an example like, when Mikes having the cocktail party and he thinks hes popular, but none really want to go (in Add Sex and Stir)?

Please, feel free- as many examples as possible are good, as I take a while to get things

The three eps Im doing are Add Sex and Stir, The Seige and playing the ego card, so if you could give me egs from their Id be muchos appreciative (but I know the other eps to so either is okay).

Thanks loads!

Lolliana

hhm good question
its hard to say the whole show is kind of ironic, it presents things as 'reality' while conciously sending up the whole program

a huge example of irony would be in the seige, where at the end the whole situation is repreated with a much darker ending

Brian's methods of dealing with the problem, blew up in their face

within the structure of the program irony is used often as we see both their 'public' and private' lives

hhmm, im sorry i cant be more helpful
im interested to see what others say

aussiechica

QUOTE: a huge example of irony would be in the seige, where at the end the whole situation is repreated with a much darker ending

Yeah, but isnt that sophoclean irony- irony of fate? Things turn out opposite to what is expected?'

QUOTE: hhm good question
its hard to say the whole show is kind of ironic, it presents things as 'reality' while conciously sending up the whole program

Hmmnnn, good point

Thanks alot for your help Lolliana and goodluck for HSC

malayz_angel

Irony in Playing the Ego Card..well I'm not too good on this stuff...but wouldn't it be when everyone was trying to get the credit and Brian gave them all the same speech and encouragement at the end and then took the credit himself? This is the rite episode, I think!

aussiechica

QUOTE: Irony in Playing the Ego Card..well I'm not too good on this stuff...but wouldn't it be when everyone was trying to get the credit and Brian gave them all the same speech and encouragement at the end and then took the credit himself? This is the rite episode, I think!

Yeah, it definately is. but dont you have to distinguish between dramatic and sophoclean irony?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Would Brooke's statement "Might just change this question a little' in Add Sex And Stir count? (In light of the results of the alteration, in actuality entirely altering the meaning...)

malayz_angel

Yeah, it definately is. but dont you have to distinguish between dramatic and sophoclean irony? [/B][/QUOTE]

See I have no idea what those are...am I going to blow it at our teacher 2 mrw!

allyteaded

Dramatic irony

I don't know what the hell Sophoclean irony is but I do know what dramatic irony is.

A good example is in Playing the Ego Card. You know that scene where Brian pretends to call the "people upstairs" and calls Emma instead? You know, he's pretending to convince "the people upstairs" to let Mike go on the holiday?

In this scene you can see Emma in the background reacting to what Brian says on the phone. That's dramatic irony. The audience/viewer (us) knows something the character (Mike) does not.

Dramatic Irony is usually used in stage plays. However good examples in film are like in scary movies... where the character goes into the room and you know the murderer's in there but the character doesn't... and you're screaming and telling them to get out but they go in and get killed anyway.

yeah, that's dramatic irony.

elfgal

um, to clear things up..dramatic irony and sophoclean irony are the same thing :) dramatic irony is just more commonly used by hsc eng teachers, i think
like allyteaded already pointed out, dramatic irony is when the audience knows something the characters (or some characters) do not (like when brian phones emma instead of the 'ppl upstairs' and pretends to beg for mike to go overseas when viewers already know that's exactly what he wants). this is also called sophoclean irony coz it was heavily used in the play oedipus the king by sophocles :)

jadene

Dramatic irony is when the audience is aware of something that a character(s) in a film/play/tv episode etc are not aware of...a good example of dramatic irony can be seen when in the siege Brooke tells the old lady that she has to sign some forms to protect he because other network/shows are unscrupulous...instead we know its a gag form (the old lady cant talk to anyone else so frontline gets exclusivity).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)