Drawing Displacement from Velocity (Motion Graph) (1 Viewer)

mikesena

mEo
HSC
Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble with the questions regarding displacement FROM velocity. It is common, so it seems, to be given the velocity graph and be expected to read off displacement and acceleration. I can do some of this, but I always find myself drawing a displacement example, finding what the velocity curve would look like to try and work it out.

Does anyone know of a site, or have a sheet they could scan, on turning velocity back into displacement? I had one from school, but amongst the thousand other sheets, I have no idea where it is and believe me, I've searched.

If someone would be so kind, thanks.

Michael

Mattamz

HSC
-gradient = acceleration
-area under the curve = displacement

morganforrest

HSC
Mattamz said:
-gradient = acceleration
-area under the curve = displacement
Yes, to find displacement from a velocity time graph take the integral of the curve between whichever two approriate end-points (limits of integration). Remember the distinction between displacement and distance though. If trying to find distance, split the integral up and take the absolute value of the part under the graph.

And yes, the gradient of the graph at that point is equal to the acceleration at that point.

kiet44

HSC
Yeah, this topic is a BITCH!!, I hate it, I also hate simple and compound interest -_-, someone help me with that lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)