• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Driving Juggernauts. (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
Who around here consider themselves to be a good driver?

I don't mean sticking to speed limits and coming to a stop at the red hexagon.

I mean: advanced driving skills. Control: Oversteer. Understeer. Braking.

Who's got what it takes?

The above questions are directed at manual drivers. People who drive autos can bugger off! :p You don't see many automatic racing cars...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
i LOVE LOVE LOVE motorsport and aspire to be a great V8 Racer!
Stop trying to steal my jobs :p Plus for some odd reason - they don't like females in motorsport ... we aren't fit enough for it :rolleyes:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
if you really drive like you describe, for the sake of yourself and everyone else one the road, KEEP OFF IT! thank you. this goes for anyone else with similar skills or have a timid nature.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
i know!! its gay gay gay!! but u love f1 more, i luv v8 more..!!.. lol i know they just dont approve of girls in motorsport, but they dont even like girls interested in motorsport....unless they are promo-girls!
ok ... you can drive a v8 and i'll drive an f1 :D Mclaren have had a female test driver before ... Sarah .....? I dunno, and theres another driver in some american series.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am sick of manual drivers saying shit like 'you drive an automatic so you are shit'. If I had a manual I would drive it but I don't have one.

SlipStream

HSC
I love driving so much - I never find it a chore and I even enjoy driving down to the shops to get milk or whatever. It's just a pain that I'm a driver in a commuter's car - I need a driver's car real bad and I am hanging out for one.

I've got more experience than most 17 year olds. I've been driving manuals since I was about 8 - even earlier if you want to include the old "sitting on parent's lap" driving style. I find it easy to control oversteer in both FWD and AWD cars (still finessing my RWD powersliding) on dirt but like RWD, finessing on bitumen (not many places to practice, y'see).

I learnt much from my first car: my 1981 Subaru 1800 (with the bulletproof EA81 boxer 4). I still fondly remember learning to drift in that car, as well as heel-toe downchanging and precision driving (homemade motorkana) - and a little bit of 4WDing thrown in for good measure.

I could go on, but I pride myself on having driven racing cars to WRXs to late model 250kW V8s to F250s... the list is inexhaustive. Out of all my driving skills, I pride myself most on being able to say that I am far from a perfect driver and I have much much more to learn as time progresses. I never jump into new skills when it comes to teaching myself - I always step up to perfection rather than jump into the deep end without my floaties on.

If I could rate my driving skill on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being perfection (Michael Schumacher would be a 9.9) and 10 being inexperienced, unskilled no-nothing (say, an 8 year old behind the wheel for the first time) - I would give myself a 5.5. I still have much to learn, and much much more experience to gain.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
god i love driving :rolleyes: the only thing stopping me is money...for fuel. and lack of job to pay for fuel... :(

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I don't think anyone around here would actually be a "good" driver, most of us are young with little experience so can't really rate ourselves. Or did you just make this thread to show everyone how good a driver you are? :p

miss_gtr said:
lol ive been on my Ls since the exact day i was 16, im almost 18 and im still on my Ls, i drive an automatic and i cant turn a corner, i have to look at my feet when im driving and i cant look at the speedometre without breaking and stoping, i dont know how to come out of give-ways and i cant do form one lanes.....i cant do 3 point turns, i just twist the wheel in hope it falls into place, likewise for reverse parking, i cant do roundabouts cuz i cant, i just go through them. i dont know how to indicate quickly, sometimes, i even flick the windscreen wipers on, when its raining i just squint cuz i cant usually remember the wipers thingo.. and often when i brake..the car doesnt stop at the place i want, only stops after my intended spot! i LOVE LOVE LOVE motorsport and aspire to be a great V8 Racer! lol..... and im on an auto and SOMEHOW i still manage to roll backwards on hills. lol, i drive with the handbrake on and wonder why the car is all funny.
You are joking right? Cos no one could be that stupid, NO ONE. However please stop, you're giving female drivers a bad name, as if it wasn't bad enough already! :vcross:

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
....drifting in front wheel drives..and all wheel drives...yet its actually almost impossible to break traction on bitumen in an all wheel drive...unless you have like 400rwkw.
Yet again I have to answer to 'DaddyK'.

Let me repeat what I have already said - but in more detail. I learnt the basics of sideways driving (aka oversteer) in FWD and AWD drifting on dirt roads and on paddocks. Not bitumen. I've been teaching myself how to powerslide (aka drifting) in my mate's R31 Silhouette since I moved back into the city from the bush. On back roads, of course, but the 'back road' is a dying breed.

I even said that in my last post.

SlipStream said:
I find it easy to control oversteer in both FWD and AWD cars (still finessing my RWD powersliding) on dirt but like RWD, finessing on bitumen (not many places to practice, y'see).
Try reading into my comments more, DaddyK, as opposed to reading over.

(If you still disagree with me, I have a small mpeg video of me throwing my old Subi sideways in an AWD drift on a wet paddock.)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
DaddyK said:
Little experience? I've been driving since i was 10, and i mean real driving, by the looks of it slippy there has too.
that's why i said MOST. And so what if you were driving since you were 10, you didn't actually drive legally on the roads until you were at least 16 right? If earlier, naughty you!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hang on...what sort of driving are we talking about? the wanky one about road rules? or actual driving where you know how to DRIVE a car, not just flap your feet and read road signs...

we all know good most people drive once they've been through our basic driving test (get your P's)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
yenta said:
that's why i said MOST. And so what if you were driving since you were 10, you didn't actually drive legally on the roads until you were at least 16 right? If earlier, naughty you!
Or impossible you, as the case seems to be.

SlipStream

HSC
yenta said:
I don't think anyone around here would actually be a "good" driver, most of us are young with little experience so can't really rate ourselves. Or did you just make this thread to show everyone how good a driver you are? :p
Hi yenta,

Naaa - boasting is not my scene. I don't consider myself "showing off" when I give myself a personal rating of 5.5/10. To most people's observation, that is rather shit. But I just have super-high standards of myself. Like I get irritated and dissapointed if I screw up a single downchange (like mismatch revs by 500rpm - enough to unsettle the smoothness of the car). I get happy when my driving is good - like when I held a "drift" on bitumen for about 6 seconds, which made me happy for the rest of the cruise lol.

I still have little to no experience with:
- Extreme speed (200km/h plus). The fastest I've been is 240 driving my uncle's Aussie Legend Racing Car at Wakefield Park down in Goulburn. All up (after a few laps), that's probably less than 60 seconds total experience. Definately not enough.
- Circuit racing (in cars). The closest I've been to circuit racing is racing Go Karts. A little experience, but cars and Go Karts are entirely different things. I have an undeveloped understanding about passing manouvres (i.e. I know how to do em but have no experience).
- Drag racing (not street racing). This is something I'll eventually learn as I become a motoring writer - having to repetitiously test the performance potential of a car for 0-100km/h times and 0-400m times. However, right now I have only a small amount of experience from the Subi.
- Extreme power (350kWs plus). The most powerful car I've driven was my dad's TE50 with a 5.6L V8, and that was 250kW. However, I never gave it a boot like I did the MY99 WRX I drove. Feeling the turbo come onto boost was an exciting experience for me, and great fun!
- Rally driving. Listening to a navigator and deciphering his directions quickly as well as drive through unfamiliar terrain (at speed) on an unpredictable surface is something I have experimented with (albeit a little slower!), but with the high speed driving I have little experience.
- etc etc etc. You get the jist.

So like I said before, I still have a lot to learn before I'm up in the 8/10 bracket (which is where I hope to ultimately be).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)