• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Driving Juggernauts. (2 Viewers)

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
hang on...what sort of driving are we talking about? the wanky one about road rules? or actual driving where you know how to DRIVE a car, not just flap your feet and read road signs...

we all know good most people drive once they've been through our basic driving test (get your P's)
braad, I think I made myself clear enough for everyone else to understand in my opening post. We're talking about real driving here, not commuting. :p

SlipStream said:
I don't mean sticking to speed limits and coming to a stop at the red hexagon.

I mean: advanced driving skills. Control: Oversteer. Understeer. Braking.
While I'm here, I'll make a correction without editing my other post:

If I could rate my driving skill on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being perfection (Michael Schumacher would be a 9.9) and 10 being inexperienced, unskilled no-nothing (say, an 8 year old behind the wheel for the first time) - I would give myself a 5.5. I still have much to learn, and much much more experience to gain.
Der, I meant 10 is perfection and 0 is noob-spec. Sorry guys... :p

gna

HSC
keep up the good work (y)................

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
miss_gtr said:
lol ive been on my Ls since the exact day i was 16, im almost 18 and im still on my Ls, i drive an automatic and i cant turn a corner, i have to look at my feet when im driving and i cant look at the speedometre without breaking and stoping, i dont know how to come out of give-ways and i cant do form one lanes.....i cant do 3 point turns, i just twist the wheel in hope it falls into place, likewise for reverse parking, i cant do roundabouts cuz i cant, i just go through them. i dont know how to indicate quickly, sometimes, i even flick the windscreen wipers on, when its raining i just squint cuz i cant usually remember the wipers thingo.. and often when i brake..the car doesnt stop at the place i want, only stops after my intended spot! i LOVE LOVE LOVE motorsport and aspire to be a great V8 Racer! lol..... and im on an auto and SOMEHOW i still manage to roll backwards on hills. lol, i drive with the handbrake on and wonder why the car is all funny.
lol get more practice,

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
my friend spent about $1800 on driving lessons while he was on his learners
and he is a really good safe driver etc...he sed it was worth it

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
You did a few laps in your uncles Aussie Legend Racing Car which would be a....? And a few laps..in 60 seconds or less? to my knowledge a couple of laps at wakefeild takes more than 60 seconds.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
You did a few laps in your uncles Aussie Legend Racing Car which would be a....? And a few laps..in 60 seconds or less? to my knowledge a couple of laps at wakefeild takes more than 60 seconds.
Number 34; Mark Duckworth of Formaz Parts Plus Racing. He is my mum's brother.

I couldn't find any pictures of his new car (which is the AU/BA variant) but here's his old car (some sort of prehistoric Holden - FJ I think)- this is the one I drove.

Indescribably fun. Although a little frightening for the first couple of laps while I was learning the car. It is very edgy with so much power and such a tiny wheelbase. He said he was impressed with my drive.

*sighs* DaddyK, must I tell you again to read into my posts.
I didn't do a number of laps in 60 seconds. I said that if I added up all the time I was at about 240km/h (from all the laps I did), it would end up being about 60 seconds total experience. As again, this is exactly what I said in my other post:

SlipStream said:
The fastest I've been is 240 driving my uncle's Aussie Legend Racing Car at Wakefield Park down in Goulburn. All up (after a few laps), that's probably less than 60 seconds total experience. Definately not enough.

SlipStream

HSC
Hey take your respective chill pills, friends. :)

I forgive you DaddyK; you don't have to go making stupid comments to camouflage your ignorance... :p

Kidding. :)

Mr Will

HSC
DaddyK said:
....drifting in front wheel drives..and all wheel drives...yet its actually almost impossible to break traction on bitumen in an all wheel drive...unless you have like 400rwkw.

hahah you obviously dont know what youre on about...quoting RWKW when refering to an AWD...jeez.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i dont wanna be a bitch, but you can drift an AWD without huge power, you need MORE spped than RWD and a different technique though

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
braad said:
i dont wanna be a bitch, but you can drift an AWD without huge power, you need MORE spped than RWD and a different technique though
High angle entry isnt it? And you need to stick close to the corner?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
011 said:
High angle entry isnt it? And you need to stick close to the corner?
i think a high entry angle helps as being able to induce drift through breaking traction isnt a viable option generally

sticking close to the corner...i dont know :confused:

anyone know for certain??

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
but it is possible, and there are people who do it

freaks :confused:

talented freaks :rolleyes:

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
i think a high entry angle helps as being able to induce drift through breaking traction isnt a viable option generally

sticking close to the corner...i dont know :confused:

anyone know for certain??
I've only taken a low-power AWD sideways before on an unpredictable surface (wet grass). I've never thrown an AWD car sideways on bitumen before, but have been crossed up in dad's WRX down Wiseman's Ferry Road before (scary! I could have been one of those dead kids ya always hear about). I would imagine, however, on a racetrack, to get an AWD sideways you'd use the car's inertia (whether that means trailbraking into a corner, or just braking too late, crossing your fingers and aiming for the apex) to break traction, then once she's crossed up plant your right foot and maybe tug the handbrake a few times to keep her sideways. You couldn't kick the clutch, because in AWD cars the clutch is often the weakest link and it'll only slip (or break). It'd be hard, because with all four wheels wanting to go straight ahead you'd need a lot of ponies to actually "drift". If you tried to drift a stock WRX, when you manage to break traction and oversteer it would just keep snapping back into traction (whereas a RWD car would begin to power-on oversteer) - you'd be going faster and faster and then it would just understeer... back where we started!

When you see photos of stock WRXs and the like sideways in magazines, often it is "only" oversteer resulting from the very talented driver using the car's inertia. It's not drifting, though. It's very difficult to powerslide a stock AWD car on dry track (i.e. a WRX - it'd be more possible with, say, an R32 GT-R that use variable AWD). In the wet you could drift a stock WRX, but I think that's about as far as you can try without being tempted to turn up the boost a bit...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
more power or less weight, either way it's all leading to fun ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)