Drop English Extension or completely drop Maths? (1 Viewer)

whoknows5555

HSC
So right now, I can’t decide which one to drop, but I definitely need to drop one because I have 14 units right now, which is really stressful. I can’t really decide between dropping English Extension or dropping maths completely. For both, the work load is pretty much the same, and I don’t like one better than the other.
The pros of English Extension are:
- It’s a one unit subject, which means if I drop maths and keep English extension, I will only have 12 units which means I’ll get 10 free periods per fortnight. However, if I drop English extension and do maths instead, I’ll have 13 units and that’s only 4 free periods per fortnight. So doing English extension means more frees.
- I do slightly better in English extension, but only slightly
The cons of English extension:
- I feel like it’s a pretty risky subject, because English exams are all just writing essays and usually, instead of a lot of small questions (like maths), for English, you get like 2 or 3 big questions worth like 30 marks, and if you don’t understand that question or can’t answer it, then you’re screwed
- It has no relevance and is useless to the course I want to do in uni and my future job

The pros of maths:
- I want to do a science based course in university, therefore, doing maths is really important, I guess I could do a bridging course, but I really don’t see how they can cram 1 years worth of maths into a couple of weeks
- I have room for improvement (because I don’t usually do my homework, but if I did do it, I might be able to get better marks, whereas I have no idea how to improve for English)
The cons of maths:
- It’s a 2 unit subject, which means less frees
- I am not getting good enough marks and I am not even within the top 10 ranks for maths this year.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I dropped maths completely and do EX1 and it was the best choice for me. Then again, I'm doing 14 units and that's the best choice for me too so we clearly differ

Study notes

HSC
Do your maths homework and then you should probably keep maths. If your marks for Eng and Maths are similar and you don't even try in maths, you may actually do well if u do try. And since you wanna do a science course, maths would probably be a better choice

(all of this is my opinion ofc, have no personal experience with this sort of situation)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You are right about the Maths Bridging Course: how can they cram 1(2!) year's work into a couple of weeks? It cannot be done says I.

So in a way you have answered your own question. If you want to do a science-based course, most would be greatly helped with a minimum of 2U Maths. Don't drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)