• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drop Japanese Continuers Enrol Beginners Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

PIFKIE

HSC
Have a BIG dilemma: Can't get the subjects i want in Yr 11 /12 as the lines all clash.

In order to do my main subjects I have to drop Japanese continuers.
Also Society & Culture + Multimedia.

As my school still offers Japanese continuers even although I can't select it because it is on the same line as my main subject my question is this:

Can I enrol in Japanese Beginners instead for Year 11-12 somewhere else if I fail or don't do well in continuers in the School Certificate?

If you fail or don't do well in a continuers language can you enrol in beginners for Year 11-12?

I put Open High on this list as this was my only option, i don't think they will accept me though because JPN continuers is still running at my school as is beginners. I know they expect me to drop another subject but I 'm not willing to do that.

Any ideas appreciated.

jj_

HSC
If you're able to do continuers Japanese it means you have probably been doing Japanese in year 9/10 (?)
If so, you are ineligible to do Japanese beginners as you actually need to be starting Japanese for the first time in year 11.

So if my assumption is correct (please correct me), you probably can't do beginners Japanese.

PIFKIE

HSC
Yes that's right.

So what happens then to those ppl who fail Japanese continuers in the school cert and there are lots I know. It means that they can't even do Beginners Japanese !

Thats discrimination...because at least those Maths [ppl can drop back to
General or MAthmatics if they are finding the harder levels too difficult. Now this means I have wasted years and years of hard work on japanese and I can't continue in the HSC!!!

My school had subs for much of Year 9 and half year 10, everyone else in my class xcept me has Asian background and all know Kanji and have a big advantage. We were shoved along with subs and I know we have suffered as a result and are way way behind other schools according to my friends who know these things. Plus I have contacts in private schools who have heaps and heaps of extra learning ops that we never get. Heaps dropped out last year and they were Asian students too!

There must be SOMETHING that I can do!!!

Help!!

jj_

HSC
The reason we can't do beginners is that even if we didn't do so well in year 9/10 we would still have an advantage over new Japanese students.
Japanese is a hard course and of course for students with the kanji background it's lots easier (one girl in my class is amazing! - she does very little and still gets amazing results) so if you want to do it you'll have to work really hard.
Sorry but I don't think you have any other options really.

allira92

HSC
Yes that's right.

So what happens then to those ppl who fail Japanese continuers in the school cert and there are lots I know. It means that they can't even do Beginners Japanese !

Thats discrimination...because at least those Maths [ppl can drop back to
General or MAthmatics if they are finding the harder levels too difficult. Now this means I have wasted years and years of hard work on japanese and I can't continue in the HSC!!!

My school had subs for much of Year 9 and half year 10, everyone else in my class xcept me has Asian background and all know Kanji and have a big advantage. We were shoved along with subs and I know we have suffered as a result and are way way behind other schools according to my friends who know these things. Plus I have contacts in private schools who have heaps and heaps of extra learning ops that we never get. Heaps dropped out last year and they were Asian students too!

There must be SOMETHING that I can do!!!

Help!!

think of it this way, you essentially have already done Japanese beginners when u did japanese as an elective in yrs 9/10 although it wasnt the same course, its still seen that way.

meaning u have an advantage in already knowing a lot of the content over the other beginners so u cant do the beginners course.

its the same with background speakers.

laRAWR

HSC
Japanese continuers is an incredibly difficult course.
If you aren't doing well/haven't done well in your junior course, Continuers is not the class for you.

My school requires you to have gotten over 85% in all of your language exams if you wish to do Continuers, and alot of my friends dropped out because they couldn't keep up.
If you're finding junior Japanese difficult or too much work, expect it to get alot more difficult and demanding in Continuers.

I know how you feel, being the only person of non-Asian background in your class.
There are 23 people in my Continuers class, me being one of 5 non-Asian students.
And, although I am, and the toehrs are, consistently getting in the 80%-90% mark bracket, we are still coming mostly the bottom of the class.

We do have a distinct disadvantage.

But, even with all of that, it is still impossible for you to do Beginner Japanese.

Sorry :(

PIFKIE

HSC
Thank you laRAWR,

Well my grade was Band 5 in School Cert in Japanese continuers.
All OK now. Am still enrolled, just changed other subjects around.

Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)