Drop or keep? (1 Viewer)

jenslekman

HSC
so i have 13units and that means no free periods for me. Im thinking about dropping extension english or economics ... any advice?

Economics - very good at but theres SO much work and readign!

Extension english - average but its alright i find it alright...

top 20 school aiming for 99+

Any advice on dropping or keeping above subjects?

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
so i have 13units and that means no free periods for me. Im thinking about dropping extension english or economics ... any advice?

Economics - very good at but theres SO much work and readign!

Extension english - average but its alright i find it alright...

top 20 school aiming for 99+

Any advice on dropping or keeping above subjects?
Aye, I do 14u, top 20 school, expected >99

Ee1 is easy work + predictable exams :p Try it out for a while and you might like it better this year, personally I found y12 was waaaayy better/easier than y11 (which I hated).

Quite a bit of work in eco yeah, but if you're very good, you should keep for now...

Just drop whatever you screw up, don't risk dropping to 11u that fast?

artosis

HSC
Just drop whatever you screw up, don't risk dropping to 11u that fast?
imo, i dont think theres any problem with 11 units of even 10 units. If you're a hard working student, top 20 school with good, stable results, i dont see a problem with it. Teachers keep saying that 10 units is risky coz u might screw up a subject, but thats just rubbish if u actually study and do your work. ie not cram the night before an assessment task

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
1. You are just starting year 12. Some subjects might be different from what you expect them to be like. The reason I say don't drop to 11u that fast is because if you figure that EE1 is a shit, boring topic this year and you would rather have done eco, well you can't change that. If I dropped at the beginning of y12, I would've dropped EE1 + EE2 first choice - which luckily I didn't, because I ended up doing better in it than a couple of my other ones. Our school recommended 12u for the first term (compulsory for the first 3 weeks) for this reason - just to try it out and make sure you weren't going to regret it.

2. Sometimes you just get unlucky. You have a bad day, or whatever.

a) I know we had to do an amended task in a subject because someone complained about it (who would've guessed?), and although I had done well in the original one, I screwed up the amended 'cos they structured it differently (the complaint was only about 1 section), and reduced the time limit we had to finish it in, which I wasn't used to since we had never done a test like that. I dropped 40 ranks in that task, and although I topped trials, it was just a bitch 'cos I could've topped the course instead of dropping 7 overall ranks.

b) I know a girl who missed the last page of her exam 'cos the pages were stuck together or something, and we weren't told the exact format of the paper (i.e. comprehension questions at the end) = -5 out of 40 marks.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do eco. It's something I sincerely regret not taking up after these 2 years. But I mean, everyone's different, so you might be more of an english person.

Personally, I loathe english with every fibre of my being, and so even 2U of Advanced English made me want to kill myself, with the shitloads and hours you have to spend for just 2 units. Also english tutors charge exorbitant amounts if you want to tutor (which you probably will need to, because everyone has one).

English has one of the worst time:reward ratios. I know people who have enthusiastically taken on 4U of eng, dropped to 3U, and after 2 years of wasted time dropped to 2U. So yeah.

English is boring and bullshit as hell. They idolise and suck up to any texts they want, but if you were to write the same thing you get slayed. It's these double standards that infuriate me >=[

But that's just me I guess lol. You have to drop whatever you don't like, because you won't do any work for it even if you keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)