Drop out rate? (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
i thought at UNSW if you want to do Actuarial you do BCom. In the first year of that you dont actually do any actuary work, do you?

ks21

HSC
First session we do Actuarial Maths, which scared off quite a few people (or people suddenly realised they didnt like maths). Second session we did actuarial maths and our first actuarial subject. After quiz 1, where average was 40%, another 10-15 ppl dropped out. Quiz 2 average slightly better 50%. I think it's all scaled at the end. The quizzes are designed to scare you off.

ACTL 1001, subject im doing now in second session, is designed to be a indicator how you will fare in the rest of your actuarial major. Lecturer said if ur serious about doing a actuarial major you will need atleast credit in this subject and 70%+ in the actuarial maths subjects.

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
ks21 said:
. lol, i mean apart from actuarial studies what else is MQ good at.

gwad ur such a pompous bastard and no info to support ur insinuation

*insert swear word here*

ND

HSC
I'm sure that what he meant was that for all other degrees, there's somewhere better than mac. For actuarial there isn't. It's true.

ND

HSC
He didn't change what he said.

I was under the impression that UNSW had the best commerce faculty in australia. (which would include acconting)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
does it really make a difference which uni has the best faculty in the end? Its not law where reputation is a factor (even then, its not really major) It would only matter if there are a significant number of firms who prefer syd/nsw/uts grads...but i dont think there are, as flyin posted, the other unis have co-op programs accounting for the difference in graduate positions in the Big 4...

ND

HSC
I don't see why commerce would be any different to law or acst where the rep of the uni makes alot of difference in terms of employment. I know that in the US the school makes a huge difference, and i'd think it's the same here.

bong

HSC
Agree with ND, particularly when the 1st person that sees a job application is from HR

Not that it should make much of a difference after the initial screening.

ks21

HSC
I am not gonna apoligize for what I wrote. But I will clarify it, correct me if I'm wrong, if your a student with a UAI good enuf to do any degree at any university, (and if location isn't a issue), then unless your planning to do actuarial studies/applied finance, your first preference wouldn't be for Macquarie University (Might be some small exceptions). Yeh, Macquarie University might be good at other stuff, especially humanities, I still don't believe they will attract the best students (UAI wise).

This is reflected in the UAI/Enter,etc, cutoffs for the various courses at all universities (however, these are bias on number of places on for offer, but it's still a good indicator of where the top students of their respective areas go)

For Further Reference:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pdf/2005_uai_coffs_hecs_m.pdf
http://www.vtac.edu.au
http://www.qtac.edu.au

Btw: It's hard to rank schools on basis of undergraduate programs, however, research wise, UNSW accounting is ranked 1 is asia pacific.

http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/...bleArea&maxWnd=_News_Archives_UNSWRankedFirst

clairegirl said:
gwad ur such a pompous bastard and no info to support ur insinuation

*insert swear word here*

Last edited:

ks21

HSC
Yeh, i know. Thats y i wrote in brackets "however, these are bias on number of places on for offer, but it's still a good indicator of where the top students of their respective areas go".

Flyin: Haha looks like u misread again!

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol basing it on uai preferences is stupid... im talkin from experience coz in first semester i really wished i had chosen unsw first.. bloody uai cutoffs =P

but of course now i love mq and i have mq actuarial pride :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)