• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

dropping 2 unit maths to general.... (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
What about on your HSC it said Mathematics - Band 2 as opposed to General Mathematics - Band 5? They look at your performance rather than what subjects you do......

HSC
drop it!!
hehe i remember this decision. i went dancing in the rain after dropping maths completely. then i got wet.
its so much easier to say 'oh yeah i'll just work harder in yr12' than it actually is to do it- you will have much less time and energy and the work will be far harder.
i suppose it all depends on whether you need a good uai or not... i dropped maths in year 11 'cause i wanted to do law, and it all worked out nicely for me. i did, in fact, change my mind and decide to do commerce/law (which at mq meant i needed advanced maths) but all that meant was that i had to make math123 an elective first semester and that was that. unless you want to do maths or engineering for a degree (or are a total masochist) drop the damn thing and don't look back!
i think the decision will become mute anyway once i invent my time machine and use it to kill the guy who invented maths, thus saving countless future generations from suffering through it.

S

Sheehan :)

i luv maths............no u cant drop.......or life will be over

P

pLuvia

this is a one year old thread i'm pretty sure this has already happened :p you'd have more luck finding people for you to tutor in the Tutor Forum

.ben

HSC
if you're considering dropping to general you shouldn't have picked maths in the first place.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
.ben said:
if you're considering dropping to general you shouldn't have picked maths in the first place.
hmm, lol u could be right... i'm in 2unit maths and doing pretty average/crap (in the 60% range), and thats with a fair amount of effort as well :s but i dont want to drop to general for the sheer fact that it would be TOO easy, i'd rather persevere with 2u and get a tutor or whatever. ideally i reckon they should have a course harder than general but not quite to the level of the advanced course. happy medium, see? :)

HSC
7th Sign said:
ok tomorrow me and 3 of my mates are dropping maths from 2 unit to general because like we all did shit as in the 2 unit test.....is this a bad thing to drop like will i have no opportunity for a job in the future or will I not be able to get into uni :( please give me some feedback....lata
i dropped from 2u to general as well, I was averaging high 70s in mathematics, i recommend if you can't exceed 75 not to stay in 2u maths unless you plan to work very hard to make it up for year 11 ccourse and maybe tutoring so you can ace year 12 course. Since maths carrys on from prelim you'll need to know your year 11 fundamentals very well (they also test upto 30% of the prelim course)

dropping to general maths would mean youd have to have a "skim" over the prelim general maths course, which is really easy anyway, the main courses are;
- measurement
- algebraic modelling
- probability
- finance
- statistics

my mate got 40% for his prelim yearly, and he kept trying and trying and trying, and he still can't pass and wishes he dropped, my recommendation is that you need to decide are you willing to try very hard to push up and get 80s or 90s, or do you not want to bother?

as for UNI, you can actually bridge courses, some uni's offer it as part as a subject part of your degree, others offer bridging courses, even if they dont offer bridging courses, buy yourself the year 11/12 mathematics book teach yourself possibly get tutoring, i guarantee you uni's do not simply disregard people like that

remember if you're going to drop in general but you still want a decent UAI, to maintain at least mid-high 80s (well maybe it could be less since some schools set easier or hard exams, so im just giving you an indication), do not underestimate general maths, sure its easy, but if you dont know how to do it then 'easy' is limited to simple logic maths problems.

the good thing is, to stay "ahead" in general maths simply do all homework set, thats what I did and i ended up 5/173 (thats right, 173 people, not ~60 but almost triple that); good luck! and my advice is buy the "success one!" book for maths (whether you decide to keep it or drop it) and as you finish topics, work through that book, its a great book

good luck with your decision

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)