• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dropping 4U (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Hey. I'm unsure as to whether i should drop 4U. i'm currently coming 24th out of 30. No matter how much study i do i cant seem to remember anything about 4U and i find it difficult to understand a lot of it. I'm pretty sure the original reason i chose 4U is because it scales well, and i'm really good at 3U maths, so i thought i'd be ok at 4U. (my older brother did 4U and he didn't think it was too hard, and that influenced me to choose it too.)

But, it turns out that i'm not as good at 4U as i thought i would be. So, should i drop 4U? Would it be better for my uai? I know that 4U scales well, but at my current academic perfomance (not very good) i doubt that the scaling will help much. I know that if i drop 4U, then i'll have more time to focus on 2U/3U. But, is doing well in 2U/3U better than doing averagely in 4U?

I also go to a selective school, so would that make my situation different to if i went to a non-selective school?

and this is also rather awkard, as i have my 4U trial exam tomorrow.... so maybe i should be studying instead of asking advice..... i dunno...

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
heyy , i do 4u maths as well ... i dont strugglle with 3u much , but 4u i have so much trouble remembering the stuff as well , and i`m ranked 30 / 34 =="
we had our 4u trials today -- it was horrible.

HSC
hmm this is quite an awkward situation. have you been keeping up with the two unit work as you've gone along? also, have you done the two unit tests as well as three and four unit?

i ask this because my mates who did four unit would have struggled in two unit just because they haven't had much practice and theres a lot more to remember, since theres heaps more topics. that's the sorts of things you will face if you choose to drop it. do the test and then have a talk to your teacher about it.

good luck :wave:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
watatank said:
hmm this is quite an awkward situation. have you been keeping up with the two unit work as you've gone along? also, have you done the two unit tests as well as three and four unit?

i ask this because my mates who did four unit would have struggled in two unit just because they haven't had much practice and theres a lot more to remember, since theres heaps more topics. that's the sorts of things you will face if you choose to drop it. do the test and then have a talk to your teacher about it.

good luck :wave:
I agree with that, if you haven't kept up with the 2 unit work (although extension 2 candidates should have a firm understanding of 2 unit, I know that's not the case with me :p) then it might be a bit difficult if you drop extension 2 maths, since there is a lot of things to learn in 2 units that you won't have covered much or at all in extension 2 maths.

In further agreement, study for and sit the test, then think about the consequences of dropping it after the trials, talk to the teacher, subject co-ordinator etc. about the possibilities of dropping, because if you haven't kept up with the 2 unit tests, then it might be a bit difficult, what with the internal assessments and ranks and all in that department. In all, good luck for your trials and hope you make the decision that's best for you :)

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I'd say keep 4U. I've seen cases where people were marks the barely passed exams and still ended up with a total scaled mark of 80+ or even 90+. Besides, sometimes I find that BOS tends to be a real pain in the ass with the last couple of questions in past 2U papers, making them extremely obscure / frustrating to do.

But yeah, it's prolly a good idea to talk to teachers first before you make a decision. That's just my opinion, so yeah >.>;

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Hey guys. thanks for replying. :)

I think i've come to a decision.

we had our 4U test today. It was......... horrible, yes. And i was certainly nowhere near finishing it. I missed quite a few questions, and i know that i made a lot of stupid errors.

But, i'm not dropping 4U. After doing that test, i've come to realise that i'm not as stupid as i thought i was. Most of the questions were not too hard, but just very very very time-consuming. Well, some questions were just plain retarded, but most were very do-able.

So, i've decided to keep 4U. i know that the result of that test will not be pretty, and my rank may take a further bashing, but i know i can improve.

But now i feel fairly stupid, because i spent so much of yesterday thinking about whether i should drop 4U that i neglected to study for the actual test.....

I hope i'm making the right decision. I'm glad that everyone here told me to keep 4U, or i'd be even more doubtful.

ciao. i have a chemistry test to pwn. :D

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
i reckon.... drop it.....
even though u already made your decision... rethink it.
think about it...... 4unit... your going up against the best of the best of the best.............................. so unless u do exceptionally well.... you wont get scaled very high.... and by doing 4 unit math...... den you dont sit the 2unit math...... the fact that your doing really well in 3unit and struggling in 4unit ... well....... cudnt u just get 98+ in 2unit and kill it?

kimii

UltimateMEMBER :D
HSC
lmao isernt it a bit too late to drop subjects now!?

i thought the last day was the day before u recieve ur BOS pw letteR

Mumma

HSC
wrxsti said:
think about it...... 4unit... your going up against the best of the best of the best.............................. so unless u do exceptionally well.... you wont get scaled very high.... and by doing 4 unit math...... den you dont sit the 2unit math...... the fact that your doing really well in 3unit and struggling in 4unit ... well....... cudnt u just get 98+ in 2unit and kill it?
:confused: This advice sucks.
Stick with 4U.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
wrxsti said:
...I think you're overrating 4U :S If you ever get the chance to see my 4U class, I'm kinda meh-ish at it cos I study for it and only one other guy is pwn'ing the course, and he's just one of those rare aliens that pwn everything. 4U is really just an expansion on 3U stuff IMO. If you look at it, the only new thing is complex numbers, and even that is kinda semi related to coordinate geo.

As for 2U, if you look at past HSC papers, you'll know what I mean by the last couple of questions being obscure / frustrating. And since the 4U paper has equal amounts of obscure / frustrating questions only near the end, why do 2U when 4U scales better?

Oh, and ssejamafone, I'm jealous of your chem pwn'age skills T.T I'm trying to plough thru past chem papers now in prep for chem trials on fri >.<;

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Mumma said:
:confused: This advice sucks.
Stick with 4U.
c'mon. everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :) Even if it is negative or just practical.

Chinmoku03 said:
...I think you're overrating 4U :S If you ever get the chance to see my 4U class, I'm kinda meh-ish at it cos I study for it and only one other guy is pwn'ing the course, and he's just one of those rare aliens that pwn everything. 4U is really just an expansion on 3U stuff IMO. If you look at it, the only new thing is complex numbers, and even that is kinda semi related to coordinate geo.

As for 2U, if you look at past HSC papers, you'll know what I mean by the last couple of questions being obscure / frustrating. And since the 4U paper has equal amounts of obscure / frustrating questions only near the end, why do 2U when 4U scales better?

Oh, and ssejamafone, I'm jealous of your chem pwn'age skills T.T I'm trying to plough thru past chem papers now in prep for chem trials on fri >.<;
yeah. my 4U class is like yours. There are an amazing number of people who really do not try in my class.... or maybe they're just dumb.

i had my chem test today, and in all honesty, it was not too hard. I finished with 1/2 an hour to go. :D

BUT!!!!!!!! Me pwning that test, equates to everyone else completely and utterly OWNING that test, and finishing way before me. yeah. 2 guys i know finished an hour early. TT_TT"

And there were also some questions which i found difficult to answer.... (like drawing the structure of polystyrene :angry:... i couldnt even remember the iupac name for it, let alone draw it :( )

SoulSearcher said:
You could just not turn up to the HSC exam :)
and risk the wrath of the Parent when the bos letter comes in the mail?!?!?!

nah. i'd rather just sit the test and sleep through it. :sleep:

oh well. when the 4U test results come back, then i will truly know where i stand...

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
yeah. my 4U class is like yours. There are an amazing number of people who really do not try in my class.... or maybe they're just dumb.

i had my chem test today, and in all honesty, it was not too hard. I finished with 1/2 an hour to go. :D

BUT!!!!!!!! Me pwning that test, equates to everyone else completely and utterly OWNING that test, and finishing way before me. yeah. 2 guys i know finished an hour early. TT_TT"

And there were also some questions which i found difficult to answer.... (like drawing the structure of polystyrene :angry:... i couldnt even remember the iupac name for it, let alone draw it :( )
Lol, yeah. The only reason I'm coming second in my school for 4U is cos I'm the only one that studies (Or tries to anyway... I can't get my head around complex >.<; ) somewhat steadily, so the mark difference between me and whoever's coming third is like 20 marks <.<; Oh well, at least that means I can safely sit on second XP

Aw, I'm sure you did fine for the chem test, don't worry. The polystyrene question sounded like it wasn't worth a lot, so you should be fine ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)