dropping ancient.. (1 Viewer)

jimmik

HSC
hey all, jus wonderin if u can help me wif a my lil dilemma.

recently ive decided that ive had enuf of ancient history n would like to drop the subject altogetha as i am doin 12 units for my hsc n i hav no time to keep up wif the workload.

more importantly, i was told by a fren that they count ur best 10 units n atm im toppin ancient history (as in coming first, avg is 95%) however i also do 4 unit and am not doin as well but relatively ok for it. im scared that for my uai, they will leave out my 4 unit mark and count my ancinet mark BUT ancient scales u down while 4 unit scales u up.

can sumbody plz clear this up for me so i can feel confident abt dropping ancient? thanx alot!

jillybean

jillybean
HSC
ancient history doesn't get scaled down it really depends talk to your careers advisor or mentor or a teacher bout it, i can't stand ancient either, but its one of my better subjects so im keeping it and deciding to stick with 12 units, u only have just over a term of it left, so put up with it!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I definitely wouldn't drop it, if I was coming first with that average.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i wouldnt drop. you wont get scaled down if you are getting in the high 90's. i dropped economics and did ancient, and they said even though economics scales better than ancient, i can do just as good if not better in ancient, if i get good marks. if you get good marks u can rise above da scaling - so too speak talk it over with your teacher - they will probably tell you to keep ancient

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
Originally posted by jimmik
hey all, jus wonderin if u can help me wif a my lil dilemma.

recently ive decided that ive had enuf of ancient history n would like to drop the subject altogetha as i am doin 12 units for my hsc n i hav no time to keep up wif the workload.

more importantly, i was told by a fren that they count ur best 10 units n atm im toppin ancient history (as in coming first, avg is 95%) however i also do 4 unit and am not doin as well but relatively ok for it. im scared that for my uai, they will leave out my 4 unit mark and count my ancinet mark BUT ancient scales u down while 4 unit scales u up.

can sumbody plz clear this up for me so i can feel confident abt dropping ancient? thanx alot!

If you are indeed coming first, it would make no sense to drop ancient history. Drop a less interesting subject like chemistry(if you do it). Plus, the workload of ancient history isnt THAT much.

Arell

HSC
N/A
well if they count ancient hisory, instead of 4 unit, that is good, it means that ur anc hist contributed to ur uai better than 4 unit

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
What are ya crazy? You dont drop something if you're kicking ass! Geez!!!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
the only exception to dropping something that you kick arse in is if you are like super smart and kick arse in everything, or if to kick that arse you have to work so damn hard that it isnt worth it

jimmik

HSC
lol. ummm...im droppin ancient. yes i kno i kno, u all told me not to. but i fink i can really get my act togetha n pull my 4 unit mark up. *sigh* thanks for ur input newayz.
Originally posted by monaro-man
If you are indeed coming first, it would make no sense to drop ancient history. Drop a less interesting subject like chemistry(if you do it). Plus, the workload of ancient history isnt THAT much.
i dunnoz but i talked to ms konst n she sed i was toppin the class n comin first. she was prolli persuading me to keep it. blah. im done wif the class. i should of dropped ancient ages ago..n then u can take my place n come first rite? ;)

lozlem

im doing 12 units and also considering fdropping it
i heard it scales down too
why would u drop chem it scales up

jimmik

HSC
drop PE! its one of the worst scaling subjects! unless ur REALLY good at it n u REALLY like it.

oompaloompaman

HSC
lol...how dare you tell people to drop pe jimmik!...seriously...students shouldn't worry about scaling so much...i do the two worst scaled subjects atm...who cares!...just do your best and you'll be fine!

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
if your currently first, and your getting marks over 90 continously, what the point of dropping it. it will scale you up, because you will do very well in it. if you drop it, i think you might regret it later in the year. also how are you doing at your other subjects?

Magister

HSC
N/A
Hi jimmick!

What don't you like about AH that makes you want to drop it????
As you are doing so very well, I would strongly consider keeping going. If your school-based assessment remains around this standard, and you do similarly well in the HSC exam, scaling should not affect your result. I always advise students to continue with the subjects they are excelling in in order to maximise your UAI. Have another talk to your teacher or year advisor when you go back next term.

Before I forget, did you ever receive those Sparta notes I sent last week?

Cheers!
Magister

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
I talked to my career adviser when i considere dropping ancient, and he told me that to basically avoid the bad scaling, you need to get over 95%. So you're pretty safe, i'd say.

However, if ur doing well in all ur subjects, i'd recommend dropping ancient over another one... tho i guess it depends what other subjects ur doing. And how well ur doing too, i guess. Might be an idea to work out which subject you have the lowest *scaled* mark for.

If ur doing that well in *all* ur subjects, tho, maybe you could just sit on 12?

HSC
hey jimmik im having the same dilemma...doing 12units...needa drop ancient cuz i cant handle the workload. Im not doing too bad in it around 85 average, but yeh i got put down alot by the low scaling. the reason why im still keeping it is cuz im not doing great in ext maths and just incase i bomb out, they can count ancient instead. howvere, ext maths scales ALOT, so i dunno whether to drop anceint and concentrate more on maths or keep it since iv gone this far...*sigh*

classics_chic

HSC
Ancient scales up. It's fun, it's not too hard (but then again I also did Extension German, Extension History, and Extension 2 English...), and if you're coming first you'll scale really well. Ancient made the difference between me getting in to Sydney Uni and ANU (my second choice versus my fourth...). If you need help, drop me a line

(asta8216@mail.usyd.edu.au)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)