dropping chem? (1 Viewer)

tennille

HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
term 4 is just around the corner guys... dont 4get! every assessment task goes towards our HSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg! im freakin out just thinkin about it!!
Yeah, but the amount those assessments are worth in term 4 is so small that you can afford to stuff up. Don't stress :)

Year 11 chemistry was horrible. Year 12 is much better. If you want to do pharmacy or medicine, stick with chemistry. First year pharmacy requires you to do chemistry where is assumed you know HSC chemistry. Biology doesn't matter as much because you can do different levels of biology (if you haven't done biology before- which i know you are doing- you can do biology fundamentals where HSC bio is not assumed). This is for university of sydney. Just do your best. If you don't understand something, ask a teacher or even get a tutor. :)

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
dont drop chem

i considered it coz i was findidng it really hard to grasp and wasnt even interested but i found that all u have to do is read ur textbook properly... conquering is good.... then do lots of practice questions from various past papers or even exercises all this helps most when u do a tone of it...

after doing this i was reeeaaally surprised when i did well coz i never considered myself a chem person... so give it a shot

beside u definetaly need it for pharmacy or any medical thing... i was talkin to a med student and he said te one hsc subject he couldnt do without now is chem... even if u do a bridging course its not as good as 2 yrs of good learning

so yea... all the best

HSC
you all seem to think that reading the text book will help, i've been @ my dads this week, butim going to mum's tomoro, so i might get stuck into doing some reading for the rest ov de hols... any recommended good texts that give you a firm grasp on the topic? i have most texts on my shelf, but which is the best??

HSC
work off spotlight chemistry, that book is great for if you have no assumed knowledge, an excellent index, full answers, often questions, end of topic questions and good summaries i got it for about $45 and i still use it in year 12 when to polish up my prelim skills

if you are certain you have a weak topic (water for example) go from start of topic to finish, read and if you really want to nail it in, summarise what you are reading then answer all questions, you probably know the answer but trust me when you answer heaps of questions you feel alot more confident and get build basic foundation of what to expect when they launch questions at you

i had my yearlies in september, good luck with those, start now !

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
i think after my half yrly report for chemistry, i really am let down... i will actually try and do well in the 2nd half of the preliminary course... exams are coming up tho! (yrlys) i guess its just one of those subjects that seem so simple that i can't even be bothered with it... but look @ me now, im crap @ it!
i think this term i might put in my best efforts in everything i do! WISH ME LUCK!

term 4 is just around the corner guys... dont 4get! every assessment task goes towards our HSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg! im freakin out just thinkin about it!!
Just like casmira said, get Spotlight chemistry. Try answering the questions after each questions. They're really good.

felixcthecat

HSC
Casmira said:
keep chemistry, i almost dropped it but i had a talk to my teacher and got some strategies underway and im performing alot better, going from 35th to 15th atm, maybe even better with recent pleasing results

but if you really sincerly hate it then i'd drop it
35th in the year and ur dropping it? =O i'm doing a lot worse and i dunno if i'm gonna drop.....

HSC
at the time was 35/78 (year 11 half yearlies) then got to 30/78 year 11 yearlies, now im currently 15/60 (18 people dropped it!)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
hey guys, i am seriously contemplating dropping chemistry, it was the one subject i only took because of the uni courses i am interested in (pharmacy, medicine, (anything medical related really)) and i am just not doing that well in it @ all... im not sure if its worth dropping it just so i can focus more on my other subjects? what do u think?
Sometimes a science is not a prequisite for a medical/ science/ engineering course like take for example, at UNSW Medicine has English STANDARD and maths as assumed knowledge, they have down Chemistry as recommended. There's no prerequisites. Same deal with law, legal studies, economics etc will be beneficial but not necessary.

04er

HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
if anyone knows a good website that tells you the prerequistes as "nurosurgeon" was telling me about i'd really like to have a look thanx MWA
The best place to look is in the UAC Book. If you don't already have it, you should either ask your careers advisor at school or purchase one at a book store like duckworths.

HSC
regardless, if you don't have the 'recommended' or even 'prerequisites' you can always bridge the course and learn it, it doesnt take long

afaik you can do the whole chemistry course in a few months, i mean think about it, its a 120hr course

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
mm true, i just read that USYD had chem as a prerequisite for pharmacy and medical science... is this true?
no, it's assumed knowledge. I think maths and english are prerequisites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)