Dropping Down, Scared of Scaling? (1 Viewer)

Should i drop down?

• Total voters

Ayearora

HSC
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing:

1)Biology
2)Chemistry
3)Maths ext1.
4)Studies of Religion (1Unit) <--- Have to cause i'm at a catholic school
5)Physics
6)English Advanced

What im thinking of doing is dropping Chem to Senior Science and Maths Ex1 to General math and i'll have to take Photography in year 11 to make up to 12 units

My question to the wise BOS'ers is, does this sound like a good move?
Am i still able to get a decent atar with these subjects (90+)?
Scaling, should i be afraid of it. Will be be scaled down from senior and general?

Thanks Very much in advance,
Ayearora.

Deep Blue

HSC
What is your reason for dropping? Can you not handle the study load, or are your disliking the subjects? It's hard to advise a person to drop great scaling subjects like chem and MX1 (to general that is a big drop down) without know what the cause is to start with?

Ayearora

HSC
I'm just so lost with chemistry and i'm really not interested, my marks are decent (Just barely passing) And as for Maths iv'e failed the first two tests we've had so far and one of them was a 2u test.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
If your planning to go to uni make sure you notice what the pre-requisites are and if you feel its best for you then go ahead but you will have to work harder to get a ATAR of 90+ if you change

Deep Blue

HSC
I'm just so lost with chemistry and i'm really not interested, my marks are decent (Just barely passing) And as for Maths iv'e failed the first two tests we've had so far and one of them was a 2u test.
In that case I would drop Chemistry, if you can't maintain interest in it you won't be able to get through the HSC course successfully. As for Maths, drop down to 2u and then see how you go. i suggest a little more study would pick up your marks and make sure go to your teachers to help you in the topics that let you down in your test. If you don't go well in the next test and you really think it is beyond you to do well in 2U, then drop down to general, but be sure to talk to your teacher about it first, they would know your ability better than I would.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I say drop Chem to Senior Science and Maths Ext to just Mathematics(not all the way to General that's a massive jump!!!).Good luck!

I only advise you to drop chem because it'll be hard to improve a subject you don't like, and I advise you to drop a maths unit because you are not coping with the maths level.

Jaymay

HSC
If you can't handle those, then no, you won't be getting up there in the 90's. Your mindset is wrong.

x_cp3

HSC
Not sure why u chosed 3U and considering to drop down to general now.

Gigacube

HSC
If you can get over 95 in general than go for it but maybe you're just caught up with the workload so drop down to 2U maths and see how it goes.

General is the main concern about the scaling but don't base your choices all on scaling.

What do you want to study at Uni if you want to go there?

Don't forget that in year 12 you only have to have 10 units.

Ayearora

HSC
I see, I think if i make the drop down from chem--> Senior science then i can put more time toward my other subjects and get better marks. I'll probably drop to 2u maths and put in alot more effort to make sure i can get that high atar. I'm currently looking to get into dentistry at Uni so it's of great importance i get 90+ atleast.

Gigacube

HSC
Are there any prerequisites for Dentistry?

If you don't get into dentistry what do you want to study?

Ayearora

HSC
According to my research. One of Physics, Chem, Bio and as a must Mathematics. Are uni's tough on Pre-Req's?
the Jobs Guide 2010 says "Prerequisties or required knowledge in Physics, Chem and Bio & Mathematics"

I was thinking Optometry, Pharmacy or Accounting(Not really THAT interested) as a backup

Gigacube

HSC
I think Chem is usually a pre-requ. Uni's aren't tough on pre requ's as far as I know of. If you don't do chem for HSC and it's needed than you'll have to do a bridging course during your summer holidays so keep that in mind.

Mathematics is needed so you can drop extension if you are finding it difficult. Keep in mind though that if you really need a 90+ maths extension can help you get a few extra marks but you'll have to do well overall.

Ayearora

HSC
Yeah, but if i can't perform in maths ex1 it'll just be a waste of time as i could have spent that time just studying for my other subjects. does Senior Science scale me down if i get like a 95 in it because if i do it i can ace the subject so is it worth it?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Assumed knowledge and prerequisites are two different things, subjects are either assumed or recommended.

Ayearora

HSC
Ah i see, so if i do pharmacy i can simply do a bridging course? I have had a look through that table A3 and i simply don't understand it but if that's the case then i will have to get significantly good marks in senior science. Thanks so much for all the help so far but as a final judgment - Chemistry to senior science? & Just wondering what does a 90 in general equate to?

Existential

HSC
N/A
if you cant handle extension 1 maths then drop to just advanced maths but NOT general, and i wouldn't reccommend dropping to senior science at all so if you aren't confident in a decent mark in chem then drop it all together. btw you have time - dont rush into a decision without covering every area of thought and second opinion.

hope this helps.

Ayearora

HSC
That seems fine, i'll drop to 2unit. But is senior that bad? I could easily get 90+ in it so if that's fine then i'll probably take it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)