Dropping ext maths? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm considering dropping ext maths, I have the form signed and everything, i just have to hand it in 0-0
I really want to drop it but I feel like I can't? Should I?

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
It really depends on your ability in maths and also what course you desire to enter in university.

Maths Extension 1 scales rewardingly and so can provide an ATAR bump if you do well in it. However, I would advise against doing Maths Extension 1 only for the scaling if you're not comfortable with your mathematics ability.

If you aren't comfortable with your ability in maths or feel like Maths Extension 1 might be too difficult, then it will probably be better just dropping it and sticking with normal 2U Mathematics and acing that one as it will relieve your study load and allow your more time to focus on your other more stronger subjects. This could also be beneficial ATAR-wise.

Also, perhaps consider what University course you want to do later on. If you're interested in Engineering or a Math-related major in Science, it may be useful to take Maths Extension 1. However, if you don't feel comfortable with doing Maths Ext 1 and you are interested in Engineering or something similar, you can always do a Maths Extension 1 Bridging Course during the summer holidays after HSC.

Overall, I would just do what you think will make you most comfortable and be most motivated.

Hope that helped!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm considering dropping ext maths, I have the form signed and everything, i just have to hand it in 0-0
I really want to drop it but I feel like I can't? Should I?
If you want meaningful advice, you should provide relevant info like your aptitude, how you have been faring in your maths , your school's maths, your class's maths etc.

HSC
If you want meaningful advice, you should provide relevant info like your aptitude, how you have been faring in your maths , your school's maths, your class's maths etc.

Well I mean we haven't had an assessment yet, the first one is in a few weeks...

Jolteon

HSC
Do at least one exam and see how you are at. Also if you do end up keeping it, make sure you have a positive mindset instead of thinking 'wow I should've dropped you when I had the chance'.
From experience, this will inhibit you from doing well or at least being satisfied with the subject.

HSC
Do at least one exam and see how you are at. Also if you do end up keeping it, make sure you have a positive mindset instead of thinking 'wow I should've dropped you when I had the chance'.
From experience, this will inhibit you from doing well or at least being satisfied with the subject.
That's what my teacher said, but every day I'm dreading the time extension maths comes. It's not that it's hard I just don't like doing it? But I think I'll regret it if I drop it... Idek what to do.

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don’t you like doing it?

Is it the way youre being taught or is it something inherent to maths?

fires

HSC
N/A
It's not the teacher, i just feel like I don't like it that much...
had a similar problem the teach was kinda bad for me and I didn't enjoy the sub, so I dropped mx1 and sor1 for sor2, mx1 had soo much hw it was such a chore and I didn't go tutoring for it, since I knew I was gonna drop it in y12 so I decided to drop it now and it's been so much better, i've been focusing on 2u and my other subs since two of my subs are bludge (sor2 and bus) and I knew at uni I won't be doing engo or any math-related subs going for an allied health anyway.

Last edited:
HSC
had a similar problem the teach was kinda bad for me and I didn't enjoy the sub, so I dropped mx1 and sor1 for sor2, mx1 had soo much hw it was such a chore and I didn't go tutoring for it, since I knew I was gonna drop it in y12 so I decided to drop it now and it's been so much better, i've been focusing on 2u and my other subs since two of my subs are bludge (sor2 and bus) and I knew at uni I won't be doing engo or any math-related subs going for an allied health anyway.
Yeah... well I ended up dropping it. You're right, it had a monstrous amount of homework, and I literally looked at the degree I want and it doesn't even need maths, none of my back ups do either. Now I feel way better lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)