Dropping Mathematics. (1 Viewer)

LinzyHodge

HSC
So I'm starting year twelve in two days time and am trying to decide on what to drop. I know that alot of kids stick with 12 units to have something to fall back on but I firmly believe I'll be okay with 10.

My problem is my dismal results in Mathematics. I want to drop it but am being advised against it by the head teacher and I dont know what to do.

I have no idea what I want to do after school, Uni is unlikely to be an option til at least 2010. If anything, I could be a journalist, graphic designer, I dont know.

My subjects and marks in prelim are as follows, if that helps:
Earth and Enviro: 80 (1/15)
Advanced English: 75 (1/50)
Mathematics: 52 (6/12)
Visual Arts: 78 (1/17)
Ancient History: 73 (2/45)
IPT: 78 (1/24)

I absolutely killed it in the School Certificate, 2 band 6's and the rest 5s (and yes, that to me is killing it.)

So basically I want advice. Will dropping math have a huge impact on my HSC results? Any advice or input would be hugely appreciated!

Lindsay.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
School Certificate doesn't mean anything.

You're mark for math is 52 - DROP IT.
It wont be getting any easier unless you put in a lot of time for it. Math is time consuming and having done 2u adv in year 11 - im glad i dropped to general.

Only keep the subject if you're sure that you'll do well in it.

yosemite sam

HSC
mathematics is time consuming, but if you keep 12 units it can be the one that doesnt count to your uai. think about what you want to do for uni...the thing ive noticed most when looking at uni courses is that most courses in the science/commerce/geographic areas require mathematics. so if theyre the sort of courses you want to do, stick it out, try as hard as you can and remember that it wont count to your uai but will still get you into the course you want.

morganforrest

HSC
Maths is quite a valuable subject so don't be too hasty in dropping it. Talk to you're teacher and get feedback on how they think you're going. If you're truly not understanding the concepts maybe dropping is the way to go, but if you're teacher just sets hard exams then you may be better off keeping it.

Your rankings in the other subjects suggest you have the aptitude for working at things so really, I don't think 12 units is going to be too tough for you. Why not keep it for a while and see how things go rather than drop it immediately?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
tanjin said:
School Certificate doesn't mean anything.

You're mark for math is 52 - DROP IT.
It wont be getting any easier unless you put in a lot of time for it. Math is time consuming and having done 2u adv in year 11 - im glad i dropped to general.

Only keep the subject if you're sure that you'll do well in it.
I'm doing just as bad in Mathematics Extension 1 but it saves me the need to do a bridging course which costs hundreds of dollars when I wish to get into engineering.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Forbidden. said:
I'm doing just as bad in Mathematics Extension 1 but it saves me the need to do a bridging course which costs hundreds of dollars when I wish to get into engineering.
3u math is harder. :)

The course i want to do - recommends 3u math. But lol i've seen the work and i've asked students doing the course about how much math is involved and they've said it's basically +/-x.

Do whatever feels right. :D

HSC
I suggest you keep maths for now at least till the end of this year or maybe after half yearlies...if you killed the SC you must have some talent, just try a bit harder. If you are still struggling, drop back to general maths, if you done year 10 advanced maths (i'm assuming you have) it will be just like that.

Josh_W

HSC
Drop it. You should only ever do the courses that are going to get you the highest marks. Even if maths falls outside the 10 (which it looks like it will for you), the time and stress you'll invariably have to put into it would be much better spent on other things.
Unless you specifically want to do something that is obviously going to require maths at uni (like...maths), it's not worth it. I do no maths and no sciences, have early entry for an arts double degree and a UAI assesment in the mid nineties, which by the looks of your marks, you can beat :).

LinzyHodge

HSC
Hey,

Thanks so much for your imput. I've decided on continuing with the course until I completely finish prelim (halfway through this term,) and then seeing what happens. I'll more then likely drop, because as alot of you said, there is no point doing a subject you suck at.

Thanks again!
Lindsay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)