Dropping maths? (1 Viewer)

Okashi

HSC
Currently have 12 units. But feel like dropping maths because not doing too well in it and could maybe use that time to concentrate on other subjects. But the problem is I kinda want to do Information Technology in Uni and it requires Mathematics as assumed knowledge. Not sure if bridging course cuts it if IT is maths intensive or I can even apply if I don't have the required standard of maths.
No one is forcing me out so do I just ride out the rest of the course and gain "knowledge" for uni?

So lost so any help or advice would be great..

Kowther

HSC
Drop down to General Maths if you feel you don't do well, but if it requires 2U, then drop another subject, and use your free periods to focus more time on Maths.

It also depends whether you like or dislike Maths.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Currently have 12 units. But feel like dropping maths because not doing too well in it and could maybe use that time to concentrate on other subjects. But the problem is I kinda want to do Information Technology in Uni and it requires Mathematics as assumed knowledge. Not sure if bridging course cuts it if IT is maths intensive or I can even apply if I don't have the required standard of maths.
No one is forcing me out so do I just ride out the rest of the course and gain "knowledge" for uni?

So lost so any help or advice would be great..
When you say IT, that is very broad. Though, try to stick with it, general maths scales fairly poorly.

phoenix1

HSC
N/A
Ppl I know who did IT in uni did at least 3u maths.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Ppl I know who did IT in uni did at least 3u maths.
I do IT now, and I am not struggling (I did 2U). I also know people who did general maths that are doing fine in IT.

Okashi

HSC
Drop down to General Maths if you feel you don't do well, but if it requires 2U, then drop another subject, and use your free periods to focus more time on Maths.

It also depends whether you like or dislike Maths.
Well not sure about other schools but my school transfers my 2unit assessment mark to general. So massive disadvantage straight away. Kinda no point on doing general as it runs completely different to the topics in 2U.

Okashi

HSC
When you say IT, that is very broad. Though, try to stick with it, general maths scales fairly poorly.
Bachelor of Information Technology majoring in Information Systems. So I know Computer Science requires intensive maths but not too sure if I major in Information Systems.

Okashi

HSC
Commerce may also be a consideration as you can major in Information Systems. Anyone know the difficulty of maths in commerce besides from majoring in Actuary.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Don't drop 2U maths.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce may also be a consideration as you can major in Information Systems. Anyone know the difficulty of maths in commerce besides from majoring in Actuary.
I do business at Uts , which is sort of like commerce . The maths you do is dividing and adding .

Maths gets harder if you major on finance or accounting...

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is keeping maths to gain the knowledge even if it doesn't count an option?

Also, considering the course you want to do, you should have a decent interest/performance in maths as you will be doing maths at uni.

Okashi

HSC
Is keeping maths to gain the knowledge even if it doesn't count an option?

Also, considering the course you want to do, you should have a decent interest/performance in maths as you will be doing maths at uni.
Yeah I kinda can ride out the course failing all my exams. Unlikely that maths will count towards ATAR as i have 12 units and marks are way better than Maths. Don't think I get forced out anytime soon. But the free periods from dropping may come into more effective use.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I kinda can ride out the course failing all my exams. Unlikely that maths will count towards ATAR as i have 12 units and marks are way better than Maths. Don't think I get forced out anytime soon. But the free periods from dropping may come into more effective use.
If you are going to fail out in it, there's not much point to doing it. I was thinking if I was a bit weaker, you could still keep it for pre req purposes, but it'll only be useful having done it with a competence, unless you are going for a major that doesn't need much maths. You won't get forced to bridge it but it could be a good idea for you to have the skills you will need in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)