Dropping out consequences (1 Viewer)

bobgh12

HSC
Im currently undertaking flexible engineering first year course at UNSW, however ive had an offer from a friend to travel to the U.S. for roughly 6 months. I'm also not very keen on engineering for now and was wanting to switch to Macquarie uni to study something along the lines of economics.

If i do drop out of UNSW to go to the U.S for a while will this count as a fail and make it more difficult to get into other uni's next year?

HSC
Well, last day to withdraw from courses without academic penalty was last Sunday

bobgh12

HSC
Ok so what kind of penalties are we talking about exactly?

spence

HSC
It may be possible to get a DNF (Discontinued not failed). Basically, you still have to pay for the subjects, but you don't fail (your GPA won't be fucked). I'm not sure of the process which you need to take to do this, and I think it might only be available for illness, etc. But someone at uni should be able to explain it to you.

Edit: Also, if you do fail your first semester, you should still be able to transfer as uni grades are only counted if you've completed one year full time.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
There's a day until you can withdraw and get a DNF and after that, you get a DF (Disc Fail), then after that you get a fail.

Last day to add a unit:.............................................Friday 13 March
CENSUS DATE/Last day to withdraw from a unit:.....Tuesday 31 March
Last day to DNF (Discontinue Not Fail):....................Friday 24 April
Last Day to DF (Discontinue Fail):.............................Friday 5 June

bonger88

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what happens to your GPA if youre currently doing a combined degree, complete one of them after 3 years, then discontinue the other? As in you only finish one degree with the intention of beginning a post-graduate course... would the marks from the units of study from the course you never completed still be counted?

izzy88

HSC
Does anyone know what happens to your GPA if youre currently doing a combined degree, complete one of them after 3 years, then discontinue the other? As in you only finish one degree with the intention of beginning a post-graduate course... would the marks from the units of study from the course you never completed still be counted?
do you mean the units of study you completed during the first degree that were for your second degree? If so, yes they count. eg. completing law subjects during your arts degree are counted in your GPA even if you never complete the law degree (because in essence are your 'category B' subjects for arts and they form a part of your arts degree).

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Im currently undertaking flexible engineering first year course at UNSW, however ive had an offer from a friend to travel to the U.S. for roughly 6 months. I'm also not very keen on engineering for now and was wanting to switch to Macquarie uni to study something along the lines of economics.

If i do drop out of UNSW to go to the U.S for a while will this count as a fail and make it more difficult to get into other uni's next year?
Go and talk to the Engineering Student Center at the Mechanical Engineering Undercroft.
They might be able to help.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
If you have done less than a year in your course then Universitys will usually just look at your Year 12 results, if you have done less then a semester...even better...depends on the uni thou

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)