Dropping out/Defering (1 Viewer)

wagga

HSC
I want to drop out of my degree, but I noticed I can defer until the end of this month. Is there any disadvantage deferring as compared to dropping out completely, as at least it would give me the safety net of being able to restart my course again next year if i decide i want to do that (which is unlikely). Do you get the HECS you have already paid back by deferring?

X

xeuyrawp

Few things:

1. If you want to drop out of uni, you should consider speaking to a uni counsellor. I dunno what your circumstances are, but I hear that the counsellors are pretty good and give awesome advice,
2. if it came to a choice of deferring or dropping out, and there was no advantage for dropping out, you should defer. Keep your options open,
3. there is no advantage that I can see when it comes to dropping out. Deferring gives you a guaranteed place for one year, unless you undertake other tertiary studies during that period. If you wish to undertake tertiary studies at another place, you need to contact the uni to let them know. Something to note is that you can only defer once in your degree. However if you're considering dropping out, I spose that's not an issue...
4. I assume you're referring to this semester with the fees - ie, you've already paid for this semester? If you defer, you usually defer your fee payments for the upcoming year before you pay for them.

If you're referring to past, completed semesters, sorry, you've paid your fees and have an academic record for it. You cannot get a refund for semesters completed past the financial penalty date.

If you mean that you've already paid upfront and intend to defer, contact SES, because I assume that they'll either reimburse you, or, less likely, hold the money for a year.

It's probably the same situation as if you pay upfront and then drop the unit -- ie, getting a direct refund.

In any case, I'd definitely talk with a counsellor. Sometimes we talk to a lot of people and get advice, but somehow manage to miss the important bits! Talking with a counsellor will definitely increase the chance of you making the correct decision.

I'm sure someone will know about refunding already-paid fees (someone who's dropped a unit after paying for it, probably), but I don't think anyone will disagree with a) seeing a counsellor, and b) deferring rather than dropping.

Hope that helps.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I was under the impression that seeing a counsellor was mandatory before you dropped out? Because you have to go in and do it, and they wont file the paperwork for you if you haven't?

I agree with everything Rob has said. If it came down to it, just defer. And, if you are in first year, keep in mind that intro units are always BS (even some second year ones are), but thats just part of the process.

Good luck :)

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
And, if you are in first year, keep in mind that intro units are always BS
That's a really good point... I felt like I wasn't really learning anything until second year, and I know a few people felt the same. :(

wagga

HSC
Yeah i know first year is bullshit, but i really was way off in what i thought my degree would be about (commerce law), and I really can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

I saw a counsellor and she said that perhaps taking a year off wouldn't be such a bad idea so I can figure out what I want to do with myself, with the option of coming back to this degree if i want. She also said I will get the HECS i've already paid back, so there is really no point in dropping out

X

xeuyrawp

wagga said:
Yeah i know first year is bullshit, but i really was way off in what i thought my degree would be about (commerce law), and I really can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

I saw a counsellor and she said that perhaps taking a year off wouldn't be such a bad idea so I can figure out what I want to do with myself, with the option of coming back to this degree if i want. She also said I will get the HECS i've already paid back, so there is really no point in dropping out
Well there you go, it all worked out!

Good luck with it all. :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ah, yes, the dreaded law.... Juris is absolute shit, as are most of the LAW intro units (as both Rob and I can account for).

Taking a year off sounds like a smart move to me; there is no point going through a doing a 5 year degree when you might turn around at the end of it all and want to start all over again.

Good luck sweetie! :)

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Ah, yes, the dreaded law.... Juris is absolute shit, as are most of the LAW intro units (as both Rob and I can account for).
hahaha we totally didn't have to do that scum of a subject called law lawyers and society that they have to do.

we win.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I'll second the 'you dont learn anything until 2nd year' for both psych and law' belief...

Last edited:

wagga

HSC
what it comes down to is that i have no idea where i see myself in 10 years or so, and although i realise first year law isn't representative of any career i might take, having looked at the rest of the commerce units they don't look much better than what i am already doing, so if i were to continue law i would want to do a different combined course anyway. In this case i would have to start again anyway (apart from juris), so i may as well earn some money in the mean time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)