dropping to standard maths and the atar (1 Viewer)

haevniy

HSC
hello!!

im currently a maths advanced student in year 12 and no matter how much effort i put into preparing for an exam, my marks say otherwise. which is why i want to drop down to standard maths, is it a good time to? or should i just keep it? i struggled a lot with mental health, but improving a lot. will standard affect my atar? i did really well in year 9/10 maths (idk what this has to do with it but yeah), but im planning on doing a bachelor of paramedicine at wsu, my preferences under it are nursing, vision science/clinical optometry, biomedical engineering and forensic science.

help!!

kingpalindrome

HSC
afaik advanced maths isn't a prerequisite for paramedicine but you should check that before you make any decision.

as to whether it will affect your atar, it would if you scored the exact same mark, but what I found when I dropped from advanced to standard was that 1) It was a lot easier (obvs) so then 2) I enjoyed it a lot more and then 3) I was more willing to study it and then 4) I got a much better mark than I would have got in advanced, even accounting for ease. Ultimately doing really well in a 'bad' subject is going to be better for your atar than doing poorly in a 'good' subject.

Keep in mind I dropped it just before prelims. You've left it a bit late but if you think you have the dedication (/ friends willing enough to lend you notes) to practice everything you've missed (including some y11 stuff) before the HSC then I would highly recommend dropping!

Armon

HSC
If you were really good at year 9/10 maths, you’ll definitely enjoy standard more as it is basically the exact same content. Considering your choice of uni course, I wouldn’t see any problem in dropping, and if mental health is a concern it’s probably worth it. Atar doesn’t matter in your instance as WSU gives out early entry very liberally, and a good mark in standard is better than a shit mark in advanced. Nows probably the best time to drop. Best of luck

haevniy

HSC
If you were really good at year 9/10 maths, you’ll definitely enjoy standard more as it is basically the exact same content. Considering your choice of uni course, I wouldn’t see any problem in dropping, and if mental health is a concern it’s probably worth it. Atar doesn’t matter in your instance as WSU gives out early entry very liberally, and a good mark in standard is better than a shit mark in advanced. Nows probably the best time to drop. Best of luck
yeah im gonna drop, i got my exam back today and it was NOT good LOL

haevniy

HSC
afaik advanced maths isn't a prerequisite for paramedicine but you should check that before you make any decision.

as to whether it will affect your atar, it would if you scored the exact same mark, but what I found when I dropped from advanced to standard was that 1) It was a lot easier (obvs) so then 2) I enjoyed it a lot more and then 3) I was more willing to study it and then 4) I got a much better mark than I would have got in advanced, even accounting for ease. Ultimately doing really well in a 'bad' subject is going to be better for your atar than doing poorly in a 'good' subject.

Keep in mind I dropped it just before prelims. You've left it a bit late but if you think you have the dedication (/ friends willing enough to lend you notes) to practice everything you've missed (including some y11 stuff) before the HSC then I would highly recommend dropping!
yeah i def regret not dropping after prelims, but im for sure dropping now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)