Drsoccerball's 2 Unit Guide (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The HSC maths syllabi are actually very detailed and useful, as many students aren't aware of things that are actually inside the syllabus. The syllabi for maths are very different in structure to most other HSC subjects I've seen syllabi for. There's lots of worked examples and old HSC Q's etc. in the maths ones iirc.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
The HSC maths syllabi are actually very detailed and useful, as many students aren't aware of things that are actually inside the syllabus. The syllabi for maths are very different in structure to most other HSC subjects I've seen syllabi for. There's lots of worked examples and old HSC Q's etc. in the maths ones iirc.
My old maths tutor noted how in his HSC 4U exam (2011), many students did not know what the 'reflection property' of the ellipse was (even though it is mentioned explicitly several times in the syllabus). He used this as an example for why it's good to read the syllabus. There's also heaps of other interesting info in there as well

HSC
Yo with the extrabooklets do we still hand them in. What if we wrote like 5 different solutions and finally get it, dou circle it or stho

Drsoccerball

HSC
Yo with the extrabooklets do we still hand them in. What if we wrote like 5 different solutions and finally get it, dou circle it or stho
You put massive crosses on the front page saying "DO NOT MARK, IT'S WORKING ONLY"

leehuan

HSC
My old maths tutor noted how in his HSC 4U exam (2011), many students did not know what the 'reflection property' of the ellipse was (even though it is mentioned explicitly several times in the syllabus). He used this as an example for why it's good to read the syllabus. There's also heaps of other interesting info in there as well
That is just concerning.

The tangent at a point on the ellipse (or hyperbola) is equally inclined to both focal chords through the point.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That is just concerning.

The tangent at a point on the ellipse (or hyperbola) is equally inclined to both focal chords through the point.
That's just the reflection property (think there's a recent thread on it). And surely teachers should be covering these things in class.

Drsoccerball

HSC
That's just the reflection property (think there's a recent thread on it). And surely teachers should be covering these things in class.
Is the equation of the directix of a rectangular hyperbola : ?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I got this out of the 4 unit cambridge book on page 106. They said . .
"The hyperbola xy = c square thus has eccentricity e= root 2, foci S(c root 2, c root 2) and S'( - c root 2, - c root 2 ) , directrices x + y = plus or minus c root 2."

hope this answers your questions.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Bump for Wednesday ! Goodluck guys you can ask questions if you like :)

999bottles

HSC
Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/12/mathematics/197896/ultimate-guide-hsc-mathematics.html

Also a good guide to back up Drsoccerball's state ranking, Nobel-prize winning guide.

This will be what 2016-ers say to you except "Isn't this the guy who topped HSC 3 unit, 4unit last year? O__O"
Its definitely better than mine but bumping just in case it can help at least one person :) Also, they would say that next year but they will most likely refer to the bottom of the state. "He came first from the bottom?!?!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)