Drug tests for dole recipients (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The following proposal is put forward:

That random drug testing for illegal drug use by long-term unemployed recipients of the Newstart Allowance (more than one year) be introduced. A positive test for illegal drug use would result in the person having to sign onto a rehabilitation program as a condition for continued receipt of the Newstart Allowance.

Thoughts?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I propose mandatory genetic tests for criminal tendancies. If results are positive (more than 50% certain), then persons should be charged with the crime and sentenced to closely-monitored work for the state

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
IDK, I sit somewhere on the fence. Regardless of the idiocy of drug use being illegal, it currently is illegal, and I'm not much of a fan of my taxes going to someone who's just going to spend it on drugs. And yes, that's more of an emotional argument than a logical one.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What's so idiotic about anti-drug laws?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol I especially liked the ending
But I agree with the privacy/reasonable liberty concerns

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Well we all pay tax. So let's all submit a urine sample with our tax returns and if we have anything that the government considers to be bad for us in our system, we shouldn't get our tax back.

This money will be spent on a re-education campaign.

Further, years down the track, if your cholesterol is too high or you aren't within the perfect BMI, your tax rate should be increased as a gentle motivation towards this ideal.

I see a field

A large field

Come into my dream.

A field of men and women united in form and figure and looks and uniform, defending the sanctity of this society.

An ideal.

Come with me.
What? You're blowing this up to be something it's not. The idea is that if you're in receipt of the dole you should be honestly and sincerely:
(a) looking for work; and
(b) attempting to get your shit together in general.

Centrelink already requests bank statements and evidence of your job searching activities as a condition of the allowance, why is this a bridge too far?

If the community's going to make a commitment to helping someone get their shit together by providing temporary unemployment benefits, then there is a burden put on that person as well to do the hard yards.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Oh, he always overreacts when I say anything regarding drugs or taxes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Oh, he always overreacts when I say anything regarding drugs or taxes.
But this has nothing to do with stopping people taking drugs, it's about trimming the fat in our welfare system.

banco55

HSC
Just about any policy that results in these people who've been on the dole for 1 year + been thrown off it is good in my books.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
That was my point, considering that I don't like welfare in general.

BUT OH NO SHE MENTIONED DRUGZ MUST DEFEND DEPLOY

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sounds alright in principle but there is no way I am allowing more funds for welfare via drug testing, no matter how utilitarian the initiative.
What if it lead to more people getting off the dole and into work as a result of such rehabilitation?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sounds pretty nanny-state to me waf. Surely you want less state intervention into the private sphere, as in cut the funds if they dont find a job
Have you had your breakfeast yet??????

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
yes
They are slothful because of society's moral failure

Set the Church free on them, unbuckle these chains and turn us loose! SOFOwnfoinwfoiainnGJRHGFSDFBLER

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sounds pretty nanny-state to me waf. Surely you want less state intervention into the private sphere, as in cut the funds if they dont find a job
Have you had your breakfeast yet??????
Cutting payments off is just going to lead to higher levels of crime, which isn't desirable either.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just dont see how your proposal equates to anything but slavery, at heart

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm going to have to agree with your outlandish proposal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)