Drumming performances? (1 Viewer)

Nake

HSC
Im in year 11 at the moment, going into year 12. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what drumming performances to do...

So far on my idea list is,

Something like Victor Wooten / Carter Beauford.

Something like the drum solo from In a Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly..(solid 1/4 bass with improv toms / snare over the top)

I have a class filled with skilled guitars / bass / piano / singers...so accompany will be easy.

I need 2 more ideas! anyone know any?? :D

Ty in advance.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
well if you dont do a john bohnam piece i will hunt you for sport.
moby dick
fool in the rain
dazed and confused

bored of sc

HSC
You don't necessarily need to do a piece of music which already exists i.e. make up your own piece. The drummers in our year are both doing their own solos over bass/guitar riffs/chords. That way they can compose a piece according to their strengths.

Last edited:

Jay-Tee

HSC
id suggest something by tool depending if you can handle the irregular time signatures

and karnivool

do something that even if u manage to make mistakes the markers will be busy trying to pick the timing

by the way im doing

swing swing swing - gene krupa
duality - sipknot
papercut skin - the matches
vicarious - tool

4unitfreak

HSC
You've gotta be able to show off. It's your time to shine :D
The markers really like improvisation because you're showing what you can do with the piece, not what the original drummer did with it, but you've gotta be able to keep the tempo constant throughout the piece (unless the piece includes tempo changes). For my final performance I played Caravan by Duke Ellington, which has two drum solos in it, and it gave me a chance to really show them what I could do.

Bored_of_sc is right though, inventing your own stuff is also a good way to go because you can show off your strengths (and not worry about your weaknesses :p).

You can bring in extra cymbals and drums to add to the school kit as well... I always got a bit more variation into my pieces with a splash and a china trash :)

Hope that helps and good luck for year 12!

Dog from Oz

HSC
Something like the drum solo from In a Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly..(solid 1/4 bass with improv toms / snare over the top)
An awful, AWFUL solo.

If you're thinking about doing it similiar to the original then think again. It employ's no tonal contrast, no dynamic contrast and no stylistic contrast. It's essentially boring.

(Sorry, I'm being a bit to negative huh?

I performed Dave Brubecks unsquare dance with an very different solo all around the rims then up the wall and along the tables of the class romm.

And an adaptation of the Ska cover of "The Pink Panther", focusing on stylistic change; shifting between jazz, ska, back to Jazz then to a punk breakdown)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)