|             |               |                 |
|  MONITOR    |               |     MONITOR     |
|     B       |               |         A       |
¯¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯               |                 |
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯¯|¯¯¯¯¯ 
                                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Im thinking about setting up a dual screen display for my pc at home. What would be required and how would i go about it?
Also would it be possible in my dual screen display to have 'Monitor A' as the primary monitor and 'monitor B' as my secondary monitor. As per the diagram above. As in, i want the start bar to still be on monitor A, and all programs to defaultly open in 'monitor A' but i can drag windows LEFT to monitor B?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunny

meh.
HSC
1) You need a dual monitor capable graphics card or two graphics cards.

2) Two monitors.

Most drivers that come with dual monitor graphics cards will have the option you want since theres many ways to set up dual monitors. If you are running two separate graphics cards, Windows has some rather basic dual monitor support.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Sorry, but i'm having a bit of trouble understanding your diagram
Just need some clarification;
The one on the left is monitor 'B', and the one on the right is monitor 'A' ...so are you saying that this concept of yours involves a kind of 'dual monitor' setup, with one monitor next to another?
or am i totally wrong here :s
It's a bit complicated, that's all

^___^
HSC
i think grover..

he is saying

you need 2monitors, to have this function of DUAL monitor...

and i think you need some sort of wire, connecting these two monitors..or maybe both connect to the comp..i dunno..

i'm still trying to understand this advance technology

another problem:
are you trying to tell me the monitors are two different sizes?! Won't there be compatibility issues, like with half your picture big, and half small1?

Last edited:

Jeo

no jimmy, as sunny said you firstly need two monitors, then you need a dual port card or two single port cards. Also as sunny said usually the drivers will come with whatever you bought. So using that you can control your monitors and do heaps of different things.

My friend plays counterstrike on one monitor and then switches to the other one after he dies and waiting for the next round to start. Much better than alt tabbing and then returning to the game to find that you are dead, once again.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the dual monitor support is actually built into windows, has been for a while, i think since win98!
i've been using dual monitors for 3-4years now

you can also do it by using a single port agp graphics cards and then a pci graphics card for secondary monitor
there's heaps of options

i plan on going to 3/tri monitors sooooooon.....

to configure things like program opening and stuff, windows has a memory feature where you last close something on what ever monitor, the next time you open it, it will be in the monitor and position where you closed it

for other features like different desktop wallpaper for each monitor you have to get external programs such as "Ultra-mon"

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
redslert said:
the dual monitor support is actually built into windows, has been for a while, i think since win98!
i've been using dual monitors for 3-4years now

you can also do it by using a single port agp graphics cards and then a pci graphics card for secondary monitor
there's heaps of options

i plan on going to 3/tri monitors sooooooon.....

to configure things like program opening and stuff, windows has a memory feature where you last close something on what ever monitor, the next time you open it, it will be in the monitor and position where you closed it

for other features like different desktop wallpaper for each monitor you have to get external programs such as "Ultra-mon"
the only consumer cards that support 3 monitors are the matrox series of cards. in particular the parhelia which is eqiv to a gforce 3.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
the only consumer cards that support 3 monitors are the matrox series of cards. in particular the parhelia which is eqiv to a gforce 3.
it's possible to use a Dual-monitor AGP video card
and then buy a PCI video card for the third monitor which is what i plan to do

the Matrox support 3 monitors is the P750, cheapest matrox with this feature, which is not the Parhelia (not saying the Parhelia doesn't support 3 monitors, it does), the P750 costs $500+ which is A LOT when a PCI video card, say a 2MB S3 PCI card cost errr $10? heheh
of course you can't do much, like playing games or video on that card, but i don't play games, just work and video which i can still do very well with the AGP card

on windows XP it is possible to have a maximum of 10 video displays (windows limit), just keep adding PCI cards :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
but with 2 separate cards you migh have diver problems and you can't expand over the 3 (let alone 10) montors. they will have to display their own resolution.

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
apparently my Ti4200 can run dual view...using nView.. one DVI and one VGA.. wanna try that:)

sunny

meh.
HSC
You might have gotten a DVI-VGA converter with your card as well.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
but with 2 separate cards you migh have diver problems and you can't expand over the 3 (let alone 10) montors. they will have to display their own resolution.
hmmm not an issue at the moment

i run 2 computers with dual screen in my house:
computer #1
One video card
-ATI radeon 7500 - two outputs, one DVI (with RGB converter), one RGB
computer #2
Two video cards
-DiamondMM TNT2Ultra Viper770 - one RGB output
-4MB S3 numberNine - one RGB output <---this card is so ancient the company disappear! http://www.nine.com/ LOL :)

both run fine with no driver issues NOR resolution issues
for more information on multi-monitor setups refer to the database in this site
http://www.realtimesoft.com/

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
apparently my Ti4200 can run dual view...using nView.. one DVI and one VGA.. wanna try that:)
you can definitly use dual monitor on that nVidia card
if it has 2 ports, then you can run 2 monitors
you don't need nView!
nView was created as a marketing gimick by nVidia to sell more cards, just like the ATI equivllent called Hydravision <---this came before nView!!! nVidia copied

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
lol, i still got my diamond viper770, cost $250 when i bought it.... damn technology phasing out so quickly.

multiply montoirs seems useful if only i had the deskspace.

so each montor runs at same resolution? or different?
if different how do you move one window form one monitor to another, lol?

sunny

meh.
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
lol, i still got my diamond viper770, cost $250 when i bought it.... damn technology phasing out so quickly.

multiply montoirs seems useful if only i had the deskspace.

so each montor runs at same resolution? or different?
if different how do you move one window form one monitor to another, lol?
I have a V550 and a Diamond S3 lying somewhere.

Each monitor can run independently of each other in terms of resolution and refresh rate. Depending on your setup, you can have the two monitors function as one big monitor (so you can drag a window between your monitors), you can have one monitor clone another, etc etc etc

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yeh i love the Viper770, i sold it for $50 buck back in 2002 and then this year i bought one back because i regreted selling it!! LOL got it for $15 which is good

hmmmm
ATI 7500 setup uses the same resolution because it's 2 * 15" monitors

with the other setup viper and S3 cards
one (the viper) is using 1024*768 (17" LCD, parents like things big!)
the other (S3) is using 1280*1024 (17" CRT, which only i use so i like things smaller, this is usually turned off unless me or sister is using it)

well different resolutions doesn't really matter...everything still works, windows has dual monitor support for ages and it sorts it out by itself.....
the only problem which i have is that the S3 card is too slow and doesn't have good support for resolution of 1280!

sunny

meh.
HSC
redslert said:
the other (S3) is using 1280*1024 (17" CRT, which only i use so i like things smaller, this is usually turned off unless me or sister is using it)
A 4MB card at 1280??

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
sunny said:
A 4MB card at 1280??
hmmm yeh i know i might have to go check that
i haven't used that computer or looked at setup for a while...hermit in my own room with own computer =)

hmmm yeh could be 1024*768 LOL
yeh most likely

change it around
one (the viper) is using 1280*1024(when i use it) 1024*768(parents using) (17" LCD, parents like things big!)
the other (S3) is using 1024*768

yes that seems more correct :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)