Duke of Edinburgh's Award (1 Viewer)

Toranaman

HSC
Its worth it. I am competing my gold ATM. I have already done Bronze and Silver. They are great life skills expecially the outdoor ones which for me will allow me to do other more interesting and challenging hikes such as kokoda (PNG) and the larapinta trail (NT). BTW has anyone done kokoda and got any tips?

happii

HSC
yeh its a mad program good character building and awesome for ur sv. im going on my silver hike next weekend actually. u can rip the service and physical thing off by making it up but noone would do that hey.

Kirtious

HSC
chookyn said:
serious?! that's a pity...

anyway, it sounds good, think i'll give it a go, thnx 4 responding guys. :)

my proposed activities:

skill: take up piano (again - it's been awhile!)
physical: jogging, or take up squash/tennis maybe
service: still working that out
expedition: done a few of these before in a youth club, looking forward to doing another one!
residential project: be staff at a summer camp, or go on a StormCo mission trip.

is it hard to find an assessor for each component? could you just get a friend who knows what they're on about?
Your STORM-Co trip should also count to the community service bit.

eliseliselise

HSC
ooh I did my bronze DoE award last year & i thought it was a blast, i just did the violin-ing and the rowing like i normally do, then for service we got to do our senior first aid cert @ school and for the expedition/adventure the school arranged a camp thing, twas quite enthralling!! i just dont have time re the service part to do my silver.. ja ja ja ja ja jaaaa.

satie

HSC
Hey. Is anyone going to the sydney gold presentation in may this year?

mellie.c

HSC
chookyn said:
http://www.dukeofed.org.au/

anyone here involved, or know someone that is?

being 19, i'm considering directly entering the gold one (max. age for direct gold entry is 23, and have to finish before 25). The whole deal seems like something that could be worthwhile, challenging and fun.

for those who know, what's it like? worth the effort?
hey im doing bronze because im not old enough to do anything else but i think u should go 4 it.
u do a community service, skill(like go learn guitar), n other things.(probably more areas to cover with gold)
mine (bronze) isnt that much of n effort, u just have to organise it and record.
its so good for employers coz they look so highly on it n espesh defence force.
u got nothing to lose mate. yea its a small effort but the rewards are there.

ktinn

HSC
Even though this thread is four years old as has no relivence to the creator i'd like to say that ive done the Bronze award and i thought it was medicore. The challenges were few. It looks good to employers etc (you'll find alot people arnt aware of this program - sadly) but youre really looking for a challenge in life i would highly recommend an Outward Bound Course.

http://www.outwardbound.org.au/

Its not quite the same thing because its only the "expedition" part but its far more challenging and enjoyable (costly too?) and no you dont need to have iron man strength.

PS. Its meant to be non-forprofit

ZOMGbirdy

HSC
im thinking of doing silver this year.
I heard that doing gold in year 12 gives you extra ATAR points?
Sounds pretty easy for me, since most of what is required i do through school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)