• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

dumbbells (1 Viewer)

sladehk

le random
HSC
about: resistance programs are you supposed to increase from my current 2kg ones to 5kgs.. when?

Stray

my beauty exceeds all!
HSC
If there are dumbbells, does that mean there are smartbells?

Legham

HSC
Sladehk said:
about: resistance programs are you supposed to increase from my current 2kg ones to 5kgs.. when?
When your muscle has increased enough for you to be able to use your 5kg dumbbells. You just have to try them out and see if you're ready for them. Although, you'd be better off going up 1kg at a time, 5kg is a fair leap.

Stray said:
If there are dumbbells, does that mean there are smartbells?
Yes:

circusmind

HSC
sladehk said:
You should constantly be trying to lift incrementally heavier weights. If you don't overload your muscles, you won't develop.

over9k

HSC
With no prior muscles, training, etc. I started at 5kg.
After 1 week of using dumbbells for about 5~10 mins, I started noticing big muscles in my right hand.. Not so much my left.

Collin

HSC
N/A
It does:

Increased muscle mass -> Higher basal metabolic rate -> More calories burnt per-day.

Calories burnt during the actual workout.

But you'd obviously need a decent workout plan to atleast make your regime worthwhile (decent weights, consistency, good intensity, sound exercise plans etc.). Secondly a mistake people often make is eating more. If you do a hard workout but eat a load more shit, then needless to say it's not gonna help your weight loss.

But the main key here is HELP. It won't do you shit if you're still eating like a sumo and never do any cardiovascular activities.

quik.

HSC
cuppas said:
but basically, high weight low rep exercises build muscle, and low weight high rep exercises tone. but i think the best method for weight loss is some sort of fitness activity like bike or whatever. ive never tried to lose weight though.
Not really.

'Tone' is simply a lower bodyfat %, where you can see the muscles and stuff.

Even if you don't want 20inch guns, you build your 15inchers the same way. You just don't keep up the hypertrophy.

Low weight for high reps is basically akin to cardio, it won't really help build muscle. Maybe maintain, but any muscle gains will be minimal at best. It's more for building muscle endurance etc.

Heavy weights all the way! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)