Dune (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone!

So who here has read/is reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert?
What did you think?
What is your favourite character/organisation from Dune?
What do you think about the author's son Brian Herbert writing the series now?

So I guess I should start off, well I've read all of the main series except for Messiah and God Emperor and I just finished reading the Hunters of Dune which the author's son wrote as a direct sequel to Chapterhouse. I must say when I first read Dune I was a little put off - it seemed just a tad slow - now however I just love it, though I must admit my appreciation has waned just a little bit now that I've read the continuation by Brian as the writing seems a bit cheesier I guess.

The reason I love Dune so much (in a totally platonic way...no 4chan links please:eek:) probably has to do with the way the organisations are crafted, I especially liked the idea of competing groups of the sisterhood in the Bene Gesserit-Honored Matre conflict, as well as the Missionaria Protectiva which seems somewhat ingenius. My favourite characters out of the lot are probably Alia and Odrade mainly because they are both wild cards in the Bene Gesserit plans but unlike Paul and Leto are not god like prescients.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Chiming in to say a big hearty fuck you to Frank's dumbass son and the worthless hack he's working with. Thank you for turning the subtleties and mysticism of Dune into robots and psychic mindblasts and spaceship battles. If I wanted to read your hack Star Wars-esque trash... I wouldn't.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Psychic mindblasts? Is that something like the T-Probe?

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I first read Dune about 4 years ago, and enjoyed it.
Aznpsycho said:
Chiming in to say a big hearty fuck you to Frank's dumbass son and the worthless hack he's working with. Thank you for turning the subtleties and mysticism of Dune into robots and psychic mindblasts and spaceship battles. If I wanted to read your hack Star Wars-esque trash... I wouldn't.
Ditto to that. Brian should just have left it alone. Dune was fine as it was.

And for anyone that has read Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: Do you see a few similarities -
Aes Sedai = Bene Gesserit
Aiel = Fremen
And such?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Emma-Jayde said:
I first read Dune about 4 years ago, and enjoyed it.

Ditto to that. Brian should just have left it alone. Dune was fine as it was.

And for anyone that has read Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: Do you see a few similarities -
Aes Sedai = Bene Gesserit
Aiel = Fremen
And such?
Oh yes and there is also the whole Kwizatch Haderach type thing going on with Rand as well, there are also superficial similarities between Rev. Mother Gaius Mohiam and Elaida. It should be remembered though that Robert Jordan is a genre writer in the purest sense, he borrows from absolutely everywhere to the point where he eventually starts borrowing from himself.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i read the first Dune book this year for extension eng. To be honest, i didnt like it at all (having to analyse it then just made it worse). But it's not entirely without merit...the concept of the kwisatch haderach is interesting and i found myself getting quite enthralled by the Fremen culture. if i had to pick a fave character i would say... i dunno... jessica? i havent read any of the others so i cant say...but im not likely to read them coz the first book was painful enough imho.

for those of you who do actually like it, what was it that attracted you the most? coz i dont geddit :eek:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i read the first Dune book this year for extension eng. To be honest, i didnt like it at all (having to analyse it then just made it worse). But it's not entirely without merit...the concept of the kwisatch haderach is interesting and i found myself getting quite enthralled by the Fremen culture. if i had to pick a fave character i would say... i dunno... jessica? i havent read any of the others so i cant say...but im not likely to read them coz the first book was painful enough imho.

for those of you who do actually like it, what was it that attracted you the most? coz i dont geddit :eek:
I actually prefer the later ones(Heretic & Chapterhouse), which are set maybe 6, 000 years after Paul's jihad mainly because there is such a heavy paranoia surrounding what people can do at the time - every time anyone who is even thought to be an Atriedes is born then people start freaking a little bit about what they can do and whether they become another Kwizatch Haderach who will ruin them - especially if they're male.

This is paired with the desperation of seeing all these groups of humanity compete, who are not completely human in some ways anymore.

So um yeah, thats what I find the most interesting about it.

Libbster

HSC
ZOMG i love dune. i first read dune in yr 7, and everytime i read it, i discover something new. eg i didn't realise that the baron had the hots for feyd until the fourth or fifth time, which was actually quite a disturbing discovery. ew

dune is prob my fave out of all the books, although messiah was also good.

brian herbert should be boiled in oil. stop writing shit.

DudeLEB0WSKI24

HSC
I've wanted to read the book for ages. I freaking love the movie. partly because I am obsessed with David Lynch. And plus detective Dale Cooper plays Paul in it. Anyway Ive only watched the 2 hour version. Lynch took his name of the extended version so I'll stay the hell away from that.

I thought I'd reply here. Cause i'd like to know if the movie is a good adaptation of the book?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The movie, while enjoyable in its own right (I LOVE it), is a fairly shit adaption of the book.

Better to watch the miniseries.

princesskt

HSC
im reading it atm for extension. im not really into that kind of thing so its really taken me alot to read it but it does seem interesting and all.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
One of the more interesting things about Dune is the semi-feudal society civilisation lives in. Herbert makes a point of saying that the 'good guys' are probably equivalent to a 20th century totalitarian dictatorship. After all, there are no illusions about the Atreides' propaganda corps. The 'bad guys' are all that plus a healthy dose of brutal sadism.

I also find myself subconsciously applying the message in the obsolescence of the Guild in the later books - that people can't allow themselves to stagnate, and that humanity's only hope for survival is to expand outwards at an exponential rate.

stonearse

HSC
looky here, i read the book strictly cos ive played the first and second Dune games...great games btw, you guys should dl and try em out, cos they are quite fun in their own way, started playing at like 5yr old, stopped at 9yr old for warcraft! lol

great book, the first one, favorite char. the baron, lol:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)