Duno which course to pick .. ARGH (1 Viewer)

fjnpenguin

HSC
Hi there I got a atar of 80.45 and I duno which course to do and at which uni.

The two courses I want to pick from are Telecommuncations engineering and Commerce at either Maq or Wollongong. I've been accepted at Gong via the early entry application. for me it takes almost the same time to travel to both those unis. What I am worried about is the maths required for Telecommuncations engineering. I got 92 as the hsc mark for general maths but I guess that means nothing cause the maths required is totally different.

If anyone can give me some advise or anything it will be really appreciated.

Thanks

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
General maths and Engineering don't usually mix. To do well in engineering you need to be mathematically inclined and unless you're willing to work your but off and catch up at least up to 3U maths standard, you will most definitely struggle in Engineering.

With that being said, it'd not impossible but i strongly suggest catching up to at least 3U maths, 4U (mechanics. integration and complex numbers) if possible.

Now degree wise. Personally, i'd go with Wolongong has the better engineering faculty but that's because i prefer engineering to commerce :p

jet

Banned
HSC
General maths and Engineering don't usually mix. To do well in engineering you need to be mathematically inclined and unless you're willing to work your butt off and catch up at least up to 3U maths standard, you will most definitely struggle in Engineering.

With that being said, it'd not impossible but i strongly suggest catching up to at least 3U maths, 4U (mechanics. integration and complex numbers) if possible.

Now degree wise. Personally, i'd go with Wolongong has the better engineering faculty but that's because i prefer engineering to commerce :p
fixed.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you live at Kogarah as your profile states, then I think Macquarie University will take less commute time than the University of Wollongong.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you live at Kogarah as your profile states, then I think Macquarie University will take less commute time than the University of Wollongong.
Really? But Kograh is much closer to Wollongong.

dolbinau

HSC
My brother did general maths, got into engineering at UWS. Failed 4 subjects this year (all maths related). DO NOT DO ENGINEERING WITHOUT KNOWING YOU CAN CATCH UP. A classic example that UAIs do not reflect the difficulty of a course.

twistedrebel

HSC
20.7km to Macquarie.
50.4km to Wollongong Uni.

:p
The train to wollongong is on same line as kograh, so it doesnt take as long.
Macq he ll need to go to Central, then to Chatswood, then on the new train line.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
More or less the same time. According to Trip Planner, MQ is 1 hour and 15, whereas UOW is 1 hour and 21. Negligible time difference, in my opinion.

dolbinau

HSC
The train to wollongong is on same line as kograh, so it doesnt take as long.
Macq he ll need to go to Central, then to Chatswood, then on the new train line.
Both Macquarie and Kogarah are on different lines than Wollongong, and both will require one train change. There isn't much difference.

But if the OP drives it will be much closer.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Both Macquarie and Kogarah are on different lines than Wollongong, and both will require one train change. There isn't much difference.

But if the OP drives it will be much closer.
Uhuh, following from that, of what I know, I'm pretty sure that Kogarah station and Wollongong station are physically on the same line. However the train that goes down the South Coast line to Wollongong doesn't make a stop at Kogarah; OP would have to change at Hurstville station, which all in all isn't that far from Kogarah.

Anyway @OP, if you're serious about doing engineering, get to learning some 2u and 3u mathematics these holidays now while you have the time. I don't think any short length of a bridging course is going to sufficiently bridge the gap between your level of maths and the maths that is required (although this is just my opinion; anyone feel free to correct me haha).

Else if you picked commerce, it would probably be easier for you than engineering unless you picked up on the maths.

Although personally I'd go engineering over commerce. :)

dolbinau

HSC
According to wikipedia Wollongong is on the south coast line and Kogarah is on the Eastern Suburbs & illawara line.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
If you look at the network map on the CityRail website, you'll see that the Illawara line and the South Coast line are pretty much the same line, just that one is the name of the Suburban line which includes areas like Kogarah and Rockdale. To travel to Wollongong on that line, you'd have to be at Central or Hurstville (since the train to Wollongong only really stops at Hurstville), and since OP lives at Kogarah, it'd be pretty fast for him to get to Hurstville.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
More or less the same time. According to Trip Planner, MQ is 1 hour and 15, whereas UOW is 1 hour and 21. Negligible time difference, in my opinion.
i live sort of near MQ uni, and have caught the train to kogarah once, and it took for fucking everrrrrr, much more than 1 hr 15 min, it depends how well the trains are timed at the city stations

spazamataz

HSC
I know that Wollongong have recently reworked their commerce degrees, and everyone that I know that goes there loves it.
Apparently its in the top 2% of uni's or something worldwide, and top for student satisfaction, but yeah thats from them.
I think Wollongong do bridging courses or something similar in mathematics, because I think I have to do a short one because I essentially failed mathematics.
Wollongong also has something at Loftus I believe, maybe that would be closer to travel to?

superralex

Sheriosusly BHS09.
HSC
i live sort of near MQ uni, and have caught the train to kogarah once, and it took for fucking everrrrrr, much more than 1 hr 15 min, it depends how well the trains are timed at the city stations
To see the Dragons game yeah? :)

fjnpenguin

HSC
Maq is 5-10mins closer by train (depends what time you catch the train).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)