Dux of your school (1 Viewer)

HSC
Grim.Reaper said:
haha well just you wait. someone else is going to pick an arguement with you [ive seen it happen too often]
I would have done it, but I jsut got banned.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
ironic since you're still around^ (To BBS/Shotgun wedding)

i'd agree with pritnep though. regardless of the wider BOS community, just the posts in this thread aren't a great reflection of schools in general. it's a generalisation and a broad statement to make, but i wouldn't be surprised if most of the replies were from private/selective schools.
if not, at least highly ranking schools.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pritnep said:

So what? That matters to this argument how? Nobody asks you what your uai is after school finishes. Yes they may care about the school but still you can't be judged on your school for the rest of your life.
LOSE. So what do all the year 12 students talk about once their UAI and HSC results get out? If i remember correctly, results get released after school finishes.

And no the point is not if an employer focuses on the school you've gone to, or if no one talks about the UAI at uni, it's that you're passing assumptions based on what other people say, without any experience at all. I met up with a few old highschool friends the other day, and the HSC poped up in our convo. Thus, my counterexample, destoryed what you considered as fact.

First of all not all of those members post and of course it doesn't. Second of course it doesn't but if you look on a whole these type of threads attract those type of students.

Clearly you are after an argument or debate which I neither care for nor want.
A person signs up on a forum.
A person signs up on a forum for a reason.
A person exists.

Why do you contradict your old posts? Now, you try to justify yourself by rejuvenating your old comments, which you already admit are flawed.

And yes you either do care or want, or it just proves you have no self control.

Last edited:
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
A person exists.
Student's don't necessarily sign up for the forums. I signed up for the resources and SAM, I really only started posting on this after the HSC exams.

HSC
watatank said:
Student's don't necessarily sign up for the forums. I signed up for the resources and SAM, I really only started posting on this after the HSC exams.
*Students

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
LOSE. So what do all the year 12 students talk about once their UAI and HSC results get out? If i remember correctly, results get released after school finishes.

And no the point is not if an employer focuses on the school you've gone to, or if no one talks about the UAI at uni, it's that you're passing assumptions based on what other people say, without any experience at all. I met up with a few old highschool friends the other day, and the HSC poped up in our convo. Thus, my counterexample, destoryed what you considered as fact.

A person exists.

Why do you contradict your old posts? Now, you try to justify yourself by rejuvenating your old comments, which you already admit are flawed.

And yes you either do care or want, or it just proves you have no self control.

I really don't know why I was choosen out but as for self control I shall end it and say ok you are entitled to your opinion. :) :nocare:

shsshs

HSC
pritnep said:
The funny thing about the whole selective, private vs public school garbage is that at the end of the day the school you went to won't effect the the job you get.
its no coincidence that grammar and joeys have produced many high court judges and politicians.

pritnep said:
Everyone goes to the same unis yes, yes uai will determine that but you don't get special consideration just because you went to a private school...
If anything the whole debate goes on because people are naive to the other side....
yes, but you're more likely to be able to afford a fee-paying place at uni if you dont get a high enough grade.

in my USyd law class of 18 people, 12 are private school, 3 are international, 3 are public school.

no coincidence...

FridayEvening

HSC
shsshs said:
its no coincidence that grammar and joeys have produced many high court judges and politicians.
But is this due to academic excellence or the old boy's network? Not to imply that schools like Sydney Grammar aren't fine educational institutions in their own right, but you have to wonder about the elitist culture associated with expensive private schooling.

xsjado

HSC
FridayEvening said:
But is this due to academic excellence or the old boy's network? Not to imply that schools like Sydney Grammar aren't fine educational institutions in their own right, but you have to wonder about the elitist culture associated with expensive private schooling.
very well said.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
2003: 100
2004: 98.75
2005: 93
2006: 96.35
2007: 101.10

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
FridayEvening said:
Back in the old days the expensive private schools were the epitome of academic excellence. Therefore, we would expect those intelligent professionals to be quite high up. That is why the old boy's network exists. They take favor to those who underwent the same rigorous school life their private school provided that they believe made them what they are. And who is to say they're wrong in saying that?

However, as the dynamic is shifting the old boys network will inevitably weaken as high achieving public schools such as ruse infiltrate the ranks. Rather than labelling it an elitist culture you could use your brain as to how it works.

And you'd be surprised about how different life in a pretigious boys school is compared to that in a public school. You may perceive it as great marks handed on a platter but it entails an entirely different academic/life/compulsory extra curricular activites balance than public schools. And with all marks, they have to be earnt.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Hurlstone Agricultural High 99.95 xP
Think we got 12 people over 99.
Not sure what the average is though >< anyone know ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)