Dyeing clothes (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
I bought a dress a little while ago that's red and white but I've now got massive buyers remorse - only because the fabric makes me look like an homage to eczema. The cut and stuff is pretty great. How would I go about dying it black? Could I? Would I bleach first? Help would be greatly appreciated.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
kaylz said:
I bought a dress a little while ago that's red and white but I've now got massive buyers remorse - only because the fabric makes me look like an homage to eczema. The cut and stuff is pretty great. How would I go about dying it black? Could I? Would I bleach first? Help would be greatly appreciated.
i would think that you could dye it black - that wouldn't be much of a problem.
As for bleeching it first - you would need to get the black dye and see if it says that the clothing has to be a solid colour to dye it.
I wouldn't think that would be the case and since you are using black dye i dont see how it would be much of a problem to dye it black.

Best to go have a look at some black dyes and see what the instructions are

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
kaylz said:
ohhh be very careful kaylz
i dont think it'll work. what kind of material is it?
i think you'll just ruin it

HSC
N/A
Unless it's pure cotton, be careful. They do make dyes for synthetic fabrics these days (you can buy from spotlight) however I can't guarentee how well they hold - even the cotton dyes tend to run out quite a lot :S

The other fear is that parts of the garment will hold the dye better/worse than others - it could get very ugly very quickly :S Also if the dress is anything more than a straight up and down, you risk the dye running slightly when it dries, so some parts will be darker than others (dying fabric is so much more fiddly than most people think it could be :S).

Have you thought about selling the dress via ebay, or exchanging it for another colour?

kaylz

HSC
It's a cotton dress. I can't exchange it because it's a one off from a vintage shop...

arrested development
HSC
kaylz said:
It's a cotton dress. I can't exchange it because it's a one off from a vintage shop...
Ebay it then! People pay really stupidly high prices for vintage stuff on ebay.

kaylz

HSC
It's nothing spesh... I just think it'd look better black. If that doesn't work I'll just throw it.

HSC
N/A
If it's all cotton, then probably.

Just be careful when letting it to try post-dying, so the dye won't run/dry weird.

Also be careful when washing it - you might want to wash it separately because the dye will run :S It's not supposed to, but it does anyway. It won't run heaps, but you don't want it staining your other clothing!

kaylz

HSC
Cool - thanks for that kids. I'll do it when I get back to Sydney.

Skeeta

HSC
i was thinking bout doing the same thing the other day with a pair of pants. Black is the easiest colour to dye stuff. You can buy these little tablet things then you throw it in the wash with the item, and when you're done its black!

tadaaa

Tingaling

HSC
i'm sure you can dye it black... black is quite easy colour to dye~
i didnt need to bleech my shirt when i dyed it black.. so yeh...

ladyknight

HSC
İ suppose you could take your outfit apart at the seams and sew up a new one from the old cut style...

HSC
N/A
Easiest thing to do is just to trace the individual pattern pieces (make sure you include seam allowance!!!). Particularly with vintage clothes, some of the seams can be 'tricky' or be slightly worn so if you pick it apart, no guarentees you'll be able to put it back together...! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)