E-lectures (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
Can something explain to me the purpose of an E-lecture? I dont quite understand the concept. I never had one before. Thankx.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
At Macquarie, at least, they record most of the lectures - so you can listen to them later. I've never heard of this happening at UNSW and I'm just wondering why not... just in case you miss a lecture or aren't paying attention etc.
The only reasons I can think why it's not available is that 1) too much trouble to record (unlikely) or 2) may seem to be encouraging not attending lectures
I can understand why USyd doesn't do it - because they're keeping up their traditional style... but it'd be helpful IMHO...

gman03

HSC
Ohhh Thats E-lecture.... I thought it is something hectic like everybody go online at 1pm and then have the interactive "ink" and ask question to lecture real-time stuff.. Oh ok I get it now.

THen I had one e-lecture before. The lecturer recorded a 70 minutes lecture onto a cd, and we have to install this trial software to watch it. We have two screens - one for notes and one with the lecturer face. Sound was ok but I could not see what the lecture wrote on the white board clearly. Watching the lecturer face without talking to the person next to me bored me to death. Didn't like that kind of lecture.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I believe it is known as iLecture. Essentially, lectures are recorded digitally and can be accessed from your WebCT course.

Initially, the pilot rollout in 2004 covered only CLB, Matthews, Clancy and Biomed.

In 2005, recording facilities were added to:
Keith Burrows Theatre (KBT)
Physics Theatre
Old Main Building (OMB 112)
Red Centre Theatre G001
Applied Science Lecture Theatre
Rupert Myers
Civil Engineering Theatre G1
Webster Theatres A & B
NSG Theatre
Rex Vowels Theatre

The recording process is automated, and as such, not every lecture is recorded. The lecturer must request that his or her lecture times be recorded on the system, and as such, it most likely involves some paperwork - which, such lecturers may be too lazy to do. With the iLecture technology, lecturers also have the ability to upload the lecture notes to the system, and thus you can have your own lecture at home - using the audio and the powerpoint (although you need to transition the slides yourself).

And with the legal issues, you are not supposed to record the lectures yourself. However, you will most likely find many of the front-row-students with MP3 players recording the lecture.

While the technology may be useful, I wouldn't recommend it as an substitute for lectures, unless you miss the lecture or have some sort of clash. The single thing I am most impressed with is that every lecture slot that is put down by the lecturer is recorded, and since it is automated, it is guaranteed to be there, in stark contrast to lecturers promising to put the notes on WebCT, but never doing so.

iLecture FAQ

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Zarathustra said:
Thanks for the info T-i-m, wish I knew this last session - I'm pretty sure the course I did in the Biomed theatres didn't have this on webct - maybe I just wasn't looking. I was never told about this before...
Just call me Tim (no need for the hyphens). It depends on your lecturer, I even guess that some of them don't use iLecture in order to encourage attendance.

rand0m3r

HSC
i'm a big fan of ilectures. i often zone-out of lectures that are late at night, so i just put an * in my notes saying i should go back to the ilecture. it really helps.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm..my first year Legal lecturer gave a great example in class - he walked over to a girl and said "see, here's an example of illegal activity, this girl is recording the lecture without my consent"

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
yes they're i-lectures..
the english department use them extensively and is really great, except when they are showing something on the powerpoint and ur wondering..wtf are u on abt.. (coz u cant see)... and then it can also be annoying when there's a discussion going on but u can't hear anything, only the lecturer's voice. it can be a lil annoying if u have a lecturer who breathes into the mic a lot too!!
but otherwise, they're very very helpful!

and i think u cant record the ilectures either...but that's do-able~

rand0m3r

HSC
Minai said:
Mmm..my first year Legal lecturer gave a great example in class - he walked over to a girl and said "see, here's an example of illegal activity, this girl is recording the lecture without my consent"
lol that must've been jason harris

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
haha that's rather amusing...

XD Hope that e-lectures are also provided for maths + science courses, since lol even a teacher at high school who talks non-stop, acts almost like a drowsy drug.

kaitoufion

HSC
Very few lectures in UNSW like the idea of iLecture ^.^"

Because they think once there's iLecture, no one will attend their lectures.

Hehe~ I can understand how they feel ^.^"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)